October 09, 2023
2606 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2807 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Risk: The Movie

More
06 Nov 2009 07:23 #46320 by jur
Risk: The Movie was created by jur
According to Playthings , "Sony's Columbia Pictures has been signed for a feature film based on Hasbro's board game Risk."

"The film will be produced and developed by Brian Goldner and Bennett Schneir, the toymaker’s CEO and managing director for motion pictures, respectively, and Overbrook Entertainment's James Lassiter."

This is strange and interesting news. What kind of movie could it be? I think that Risk in itself is a bit generic, so it needs a plotline, which is easily provided by the variants. Would it be a Black Ops or a Risk 2210 movie? Or will they develop a whole new variant, or promote the recent revised editions?

Apparently , there are a few other film makers interested in turning board games in to movies. So it's not a one way world in the entertainment industry.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Nov 2009 09:55 #46338 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic Re:Risk: The Movie
"Had I known I'd have put more nudity in Agricola."

-- Rosenburg, when asked for comments.

More
06 Nov 2009 12:29 #46366 by dysjunct
Replied by dysjunct on topic Re:Risk: The Movie
Will the plot revolve around the staggering prominence of Australia in controlling the world?

And coming in 2013, the sequel, Castle Risk! Where the climax of the movie involves putting 50 million soldiers on a single boat and invading a home territory.

I'm done.

More
06 Nov 2009 12:34 #46369 by metalface13
Replied by metalface13 on topic Re:Risk: The Movie
Well I think it's about time I sit down and complete my Guess Who script.

More
06 Nov 2009 15:17 #46390 by Johnny
Replied by Johnny on topic Re:Risk: The Movie
The only way a Risk movie could be good were if it were about a group of guys hanging out in a basement having the game of their lives. I'd like to see a movie reflecting my reality. But we all know that that movie is never going to get made...

More
06 Nov 2009 15:40 #46391 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Re:Risk: The Movie
See now, that's a brilliant idea. A RISK film that is about five friends playing it together and how their interactions and characters portray truths about growing up, being kids, and larger more human issues. Sort of like DINNER WITH ANDRE but focused on games rather than food. A smart screenwriter could pull this off, and it could be a very funny and possibly very insight film about those days when we had time to just play a game like RISK all day.

Too bad that won't happen, because the RISK movie idea I'm sure that most folks would cook up will be a really terrible generic war picture. What are they going to do, the original Napoleonic stuff or something else? I mean, seriously...how do you tell the story of RISK in cinema? THERE IS NO STORY! It's a stupid fucking concept, it's not filmic at all. Same goes for the MONOPOLY movie. If ever there were a cash grab, this is it. There's a BATTLESHIP film in the cards too...another incredibly retarded idea.

Besides, didn't anybody see CLUE? And that was probably the most cinematic of any board game...terrible, terrible film.

I have never played a board game that I thought would make a good movie. Sorry, but TI3 would make a _terrible_ film. It'd be just some bullshit CGI-a-thon with BABYLON 5 quality writing and cheese-dick "SyFy" caliber actors. Aside from that, what sounds good in the game would largely be revealed as derivative and unoriginal on the screen.

More
06 Nov 2009 16:31 #46398 by metalface13
Replied by metalface13 on topic Re:Risk: The Movie

Besides, didn't anybody see CLUE? And that was probably the most cinematic of any board game...terrible, terrible film.

Say WHAT!?!

More
06 Nov 2009 16:38 #46399 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Re:Risk: The Movie
Cash'n'Guns with the cop scenario is basically Reservoir Dogs with worse dialogue.

More
06 Nov 2009 17:17 #46402 by mjl1783
Replied by mjl1783 on topic Re:Risk: The Movie
See now, that's a brilliant idea. A RISK film that is about five friends playing it together and how their interactions and characters portray truths about growing up, being kids, and larger more human issues. Sort of like DINNER WITH ANDRE but focused on games rather than food. A smart screenwriter could pull this off, and it could be a very funny and possibly very insight film about those days when we had time to just play a game like RISK all day.

Or sort of like Stand By Me. I'm not sure there's enough of that material within an average Risk game, though. Plus, I'd hate to be the guy that had to cast five kids for a film like this. Getting one child actor with enough emotional range to do one of these pictures is hard enough, let alone five.

Clue wasn't that bad. It was pretty crappy for a whodunit picture, but for a board game movie, it was OK. Kinda' like how Pirates of the Caribbean was a pretty shitty pirate movie, but about as good an amusement park ride movie as you could hope for.

I have never played a board game that I thought would make a good movie.

Space Hulk would make a great style-over-substance picture if someone actually took the time to bring the look and feel of that 40k artwork to the screen, instead of just making the whole thing darker than dirt to hide the fact that everything looks like shit (see: Mutant Chronicles).

More
06 Nov 2009 20:38 #46411 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic Re:Risk: The Movie
I'm picturing Michael Palin in a General's uniform explaining that everyone's going into Kamchatka over and over again whether they like it or not, no he doesn't know why, and no it just doesn't matter if every last one of them gets killed. Montage that with footage of the kid getting progressively more pissed off that he can't roll a six to save his frikkin' life and you might have something.

Sag.

More
07 Nov 2009 05:01 #46423 by southernman
Replied by southernman on topic Re:Risk: The Movie
mjl1783 wrote:

I have never played a board game that I thought would make a good movie.

Space Hulk would make a great style-over-substance picture if someone actually took the time to bring the look and feel of that 40k artwork to the screen, instead of just making the whole thing darker than dirt to hide the fact that everything looks like shit (see: Mutant Chronicles).

Nexus Ops would look good too.

More
07 Nov 2009 06:48 #46424 by mjl1783
Replied by mjl1783 on topic Re:Risk: The Movie
Or it could be a neat Saturday morning cartoon.

More
07 Nov 2009 06:51 #46425 by southernman
Replied by southernman on topic Re:Risk: The Movie
mjl1783 wrote:

Or it could be a neat Saturday morning cartoon.

I've just finished 5 yrs of that with my 10 yr old lad so I have a new appreciation of some of them.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.327 seconds