October 09, 2023
2604 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2805 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Talisman: 2nd Ed vs FF 4th Ed

More
10 Nov 2009 17:49 #46710 by The Expanding Man
One other difference I noted but forgot to mention. 4th Ed has numbered encounter cards, and you must resolve each encounter in numerical order. I don't think 2nd Ed had anything like this - you can choose the order of resolving multiple encounters.

If I'm right - is there much effect on game play with this change?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Nov 2009 18:23 #46712 by ubarose
The encounters have always been numbered.

More
10 Nov 2009 18:47 #46715 by Notahandle
Vote: . . . oh, wait, this isn't a trashdome...

More
10 Nov 2009 19:40 #46724 by Zimeon
I own both and play both.

I NEVER play Talisman vanilla out of the box-rules. Talisman is where you add house rules all over. So, I've always played so you can level up Craft as well. I even have my own system for increasing craft and strength, to make it easier in the beginning and harder later on.

And I love Gary Chalk's drawings. I love the fact that the women look like hags every one of them. he expansions are so stupid and weird (I have them all except Dragons), so when I want som hilarious whatever, I smack in the Dungeon, City and Timescape and everything is awesome.

That said, the recent Fantasy Flight version is better. The fate system is great, and the small tweaks to alance craft are good. Also, I like the Reaper Expansion for the whole mass of new adventure cards that I haven't seen a gadzillion times already.

Second edition is crazier, cruder, and more stupid and I love it for that.
Fourth revised is slimmer, more beautful and... newer, and I love it for that.

So both go for me. If I were to choose one to keep, I'd choose fourth revised, simply because it's the version that has the most new stuff (for me). Recommend to others, I'd say fourth revised, not only because it's more accessible, but also because I don't think anyone but a nostalgic can stand the City and Timescape anyway. That said, I doubt 4R can ever copy the "this is so f-cked!" sense that 2e could - I don't think FFG wants to put its name on such a game. And if you ever want to play a troll with a laser gun, or a hobgoblin with a jet pack, there is no choice but 2e.

More
10 Nov 2009 19:53 #46731 by Mr Skeletor
Does Fate nueter turning into a toad?

More
10 Nov 2009 21:04 #46734 by Zimeon

I NEVER play Talisman vanilla out of the box-rules. Talisman is where you add house rules all over. So, I've always played so you can level up Craft as well. I even have my own system for increasing craft and strength, to make it easier in the beginning and harder later on.

And I love Gary Chalk's drawings. I love the fact that the women look like hags every one of them. he expansions are so stupid and weird (I have them all except Dragons), so when I want som hilarious whatever, I smack in the Dungeon, City and Timescape

More
10 Nov 2009 21:49 #46737 by ubarose
Mr Skeletor wrote:

No. You can use a fate token to re-roll one die, but you have to accept the result of the second die roll. I've actually seen more Toads happen in the 4th edition, because people feel like that fate token is a safety net, so they choose to go to the witch or the enchantress. It's a high risk high reward gamble. Then they roll a 1 twice.

More
11 Nov 2009 07:18 #46746 by mjl1783

A little. They're pretty rare in 4th ed. (sorry, but rolling a 1 twice in a row at the Enchantress is not that likely, whether people find it a safe bet or not), but they still come up.

The only thing Fate really does for the game is add a little more strategy to the game, and make it somewhat shorter.

More
11 Nov 2009 09:32 #46761 by ubarose
mjl1783 wrote:

A little. They're pretty rare in 4th ed. (sorry, but rolling a 1 twice in a row at the Enchantress is not that likely, whether people find it a safe bet or not), but they still come up.

The only thing Fate really does for the game is add a little more strategy to the game, and make it somewhat shorter.

The chance of getting turned into a toad by rolling a one twice is small, however the chance of getting turned into a toad is zero if you never choose to to visit the Enchanchress. I have just observed that now that people have those tokens, they are now choosing to visit to Enchantress, thus increasing their chances for getting turned into a Toad from zero to small.

More
11 Nov 2009 14:26 #46792 by metalface13
ubarose wrote:

mjl1783 wrote:

The chance of getting turned into a toad by rolling a one twice is small, however the chance of getting turned into a toad is zero if you never choose to to visit the Enchanchress. I have just observed that now that people have those tokens, they are now choosing to visit to Enchantress, thus increasing their chances for getting turned into a Toad from zero to small.

Well, yes the chance of rolling a 1 twice is small, but every time you roll that die it's still a 1 in 6 chance.

More
11 Nov 2009 16:54 #46803 by Aarontu
Zimeon wrote:

-snip-

Nice comparison, Zimeon. I agree, the game begs to be house-ruled. Not because it's "broken" or because it NEEDS to be fixed, but because house ruling the game is so easy, painless, and usually won't mess up the game or something. I've taken out the Talismans from the adventure deck, simply because it's lame to find them lying in the fields instead of having to do a quest or something. I also removed the dungeon doors, because they are redundant with the ruins already being an entrance and nobody used them. I also took out the Magician; he sounds interesting when you read his card, but when you draw him he's not interesting; usually people don't use him at all.

More
11 Nov 2009 17:06 #46805 by ubarose
I agree, Talisman is so easy to customize to create the game you want to play. We've pulled the Talismans out of the deck as well. Before the Dungeon expansion for the 4th edition came out, we played with the 2nd edition Dungeon and used the Talisman adventure cards as dungeon doors. I also yanked the War Horse, and hid it under the insert, because it pisses people off.

More
11 Nov 2009 17:36 #46807 by mjl1783
Actually, the thing I'd really like to see FFG do with Talisman, even more than the Timescape expansion, is publish some tested adventure deck builds.

Two expansions in, the adventure deck is already a ridiculous mess. If you're playing with smaller groups, you'll be lucky to see half of what comes in every new expansion the first few times you play, and that problem gets exponentially worse each time you add to that deck.

They wouldn't have to be thoroughly tested, but they could put something on the website that basically says "If you want a combat-heavy game, build your deck out of the following cards:", or "If you want a faster game, use these."

More
11 Nov 2009 22:25 #46831 by Aarontu
mjl1783 wrote:

Actually, the thing I'd really like to see FFG do with Talisman, even more than the Timescape expansion, is publish some tested adventure deck builds.

Two expansions in, the adventure deck is already a ridiculous mess. If you're playing with smaller groups, you'll be lucky to see half of what comes in every new expansion the first few times you play, and that problem gets exponentially worse each time you add to that deck.

They wouldn't have to be thoroughly tested, but they could put something on the website that basically says "If you want a combat-heavy game, build your deck out of the following cards:", or "If you want a faster game, use these."

Interesting idea. If FFG publishes more themed small expansions like Frostmarch, then you could probably just filter out all expansions except the one you want to appear most. The expansion cards have icons to show what expansion; just like Arkham Horror I guess.

You could also have a more brutal deck build that takes out a lot of the nicer cards.

More
11 Nov 2009 23:16 #46841 by metalface13
FFG could just post a list online like "Takes these cards from the base game and these cards from Reaper and Dungeon to create the Quick Play deck" etc

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.188 seconds