October 09, 2023
2636 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2825 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

BIG TIME rumor about TI:3

More
09 Dec 2009 20:25 #49685 by generalpf
VOTE: Fellatio

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Dec 2009 20:53 #49687 by Notahandle
Black Barney wrote:
" omg"
I'm beginning to suspect that you're Melissa.

More
09 Dec 2009 21:43 #49693 by Gary Sax
XBLA/PS network implementation would be awesome. But Jeb's right, I'm still waiting for Talisman and Blood Bowl (especially Blood Bowl). I think it's a very smart move though.

As for dice game and card game. Fuck that.

More
09 Dec 2009 22:33 #49710 by mjl1783
Catan was shitty.

Carcassonne only ever had the one expansion, so it's also kinda' shitty.

More
09 Dec 2009 22:44 #49713 by Gary Sax
Carcassonne was very good IMHO. It is a very nice implementation.

Catan isn't as good, but it isn't bad either.

More
10 Dec 2009 00:01 #49726 by metalface13
Gary Sax wrote:

XBLA/PS network implementation would be awesome. But Jeb's right, I'm still waiting for Talisman and Blood Bowl (especially Blood Bowl). I think it's a very smart move though.

I dunno if the Talisman game is ever coming out, Capcom squashed it a while back.

More
10 Dec 2009 05:18 #49738 by raviv
Replied by raviv on topic Re:BIG TIME rumor about TI:3
Couldn't it just refer to the Dune remake in the TI universe ?

More
10 Dec 2009 06:01 #49739 by kookoobah
Raviv's right. The answer was so obvious to everyone that we all forgot it.

I wonder if it's one of the 2 remaining mystery boxes.

More
10 Dec 2009 11:03 - 10 Dec 2009 11:04 #49762 by Black Barney
Blood Bowl is 100% confirmed guys. don't worry. It should be coming out in short order. The achievement list is already uploaded to XboxLive

I wonder if I'll get it for PSP too

who's Melissa? From Home Movies?!
Last edit: 10 Dec 2009 11:04 by Black Barney.

More
10 Dec 2009 11:38 #49768 by Michael Barnes
Back to TI3...

I've always been in favor of FFG leveraging their strong proprietary brands and expanding the gaming possibilities therein. DESCENT, in a sense, does this with RUNEBOUND in an effective way even though connections to the previous game are understandably downplayed, and now RUNEWARS is going to take that brand further.

But this is a lazy, questionable way to do it. Big theme and detail are two of the main reasons we love TI3, and that's something that dice and card games are simply not going to capture. I have absolutely zero desire to play a simpler, shorter game based in the TI3 universe unless it's actually taking the brand into a new game space. At face value (since we have no information at this point) I'd be inclined to say that a TI3 dice/card game is as much of a cash grab as the T2R dice/card game.

Instead of this, why not a tactical ground combat game that takes the TI3 fight planetside with race-specific units and abilities? Or how about a strategic level DoaM game? Or a fucking resource trading thing between rival Hacan factions? There's TONS of material that could be explored, to see FFG fall back on the dice/card thing is frankly quite disappointing.

TI3 _could_ be as big a brand as WARHAMMER, but in order to do so you've got to court the hardcore. With these games, it seems like they're going after the casual crowd and I think that's a mistake. Throwaway dice and card games are just that- throwaways.

But the XBL game, if it happens, is a brilliant idea. I can see THOUSANDS of new players getting into it, and I know I'd be on the damn thing all the time and Will Kenyon would buy a 360 solely for it.

More
10 Dec 2009 12:07 - 10 Dec 2009 12:07 #49770 by mjl1783
Throwaway dice and card games are just that- throwaways.

Just because it's a dice game doesn't necessarily mean it's a throwaway. Did you ever play the Star Trek collectible dice game? It's one of the best ship-to-ship combat games I've ever played.
Last edit: 10 Dec 2009 12:07 by mjl1783.

More
10 Dec 2009 12:07 #49771 by SleightOfHand12
Michael Barnes wrote:

Instead of this, why not a tactical ground combat game that takes the TI3 fight planetside with race-specific units and abilities?

Nexus Rex? Mecatol Ops? Sign me up. This'd be a choice avenue for expanding an OOP system that was so ripe for it in the first place. And speaking of OOP revivalism, there are still rumors a-flutter that FFG will be re-releasing Dune under the Twilight Imperium banner. I haven't had a chance to bring Dune to the table yet - maybe once the end-of-semester crunch mellows out - but if it's able to stand up without the thematic ties to Frank Herbert's masterpiece then it would at least be a good way to build faith and interest in the brand. (Not suggesting that the setting carries the game, only that one thing about Dune that consistently impresses people is how the background and the mechanics gel.) If anything, the mapping of variable player powers to the races in the TI-verse might generate more depth and interest in its denizens.

On the other hand, did anybody give a shit about Twilight Imperium: Armada? I've heard next to nothing about the game, which is odd considering TI3's pedigree.

More
10 Dec 2009 12:09 - 10 Dec 2009 12:10 #49772 by Nick Dalton
I'd love to see most of FFG's big games on Live. Arkham Horror would be great as I have a number of online friends who would be down for it. Each expansion could be sold as DLC too.
Last edit: 10 Dec 2009 12:10 by Nick Dalton.

More
10 Dec 2009 12:20 #49774 by metalface13
Michael Barnes wrote:

Instead of this, why not a tactical ground combat game that takes the TI3 fight planetside with race-specific units and abilities? Or how about a strategic level DoaM game? Or a fucking resource trading thing between rival Hacan factions? There's TONS of material that could be explored, to see FFG fall back on the dice/card thing is frankly quite disappointing.

Why couldn't any of those ideas be presented in a dice or card game format?

More
10 Dec 2009 12:25 #49775 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Re:BIG TIME rumor about TI:3
I'm with Barnes. I have some really good dice and card games, and don't feel the urge to expand in those directions. But the XBLA rumor is so intriguing. Man alive, that would be awesome.

So folks have my opinion, I enjoy boardgames online immensely. It'd be great if I could spend five hours each week chilling with the homies playing some big set-up monster, but it's not going to happen like that for years. What I can do is hop online at 10:00 PM and play for maybe 90 minutes, tops. Turning set-up, upkeep phases, and combat resolution into "click click... click" makes playing games like TI:3 in 90 minutes possible.

CARCASSONNE in XBLA is very well done. I'd say the worst thing about it is that you have to play CARCASSONNE. But they got the game down. CATAN is fun too--I'm actually really impressed by the trading UI. That is a total cluster fuck at BSW, for example, but it makes sense in XBLA.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.373 seconds