October 09, 2023
2548 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2744 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

The Eagle and the Lion

More
15 Feb 2010 19:46 #55621 by kookoobah
This game caught my eye when I checked FFG this morning (always check to see if they're re-printing Dungeonquest yet). At first I thought it was going to be the rumored Richard Borg Napoleon Commands and Colors game (yeech) but it turns out it's a bit more interesting than that. The units can change formation, there's a 10-sided dice (yey for dice) and lots of minis.

It's 100 dollars though, and I could care less for the theme. Still, I'm slowly turning into an FFG fanboy, and there's a gnawing in me that's itching to try this game (I think it's actually a Nexus game though). I'm reading more and more about it as I type this out, and it's starting to sound like Tide of Iron with a Napaleonic theme. It's meh on top of meh.

I'm glad it isn't the third secret game. Scared me for a bit though.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Feb 2010 20:17 - 15 Feb 2010 20:45 #55623 by DeletedUser
Last edit: 15 Feb 2010 20:45 by DeletedUser.

More
15 Feb 2010 21:30 #55631 by metalface13
Yes it is a Nexus game like War of the Ring, Wings of War, Age of Conan and Marvel Heroes.

More
15 Feb 2010 22:49 #55636 by mjl1783
Replied by mjl1783 on topic Re:The Eagle and the Lion
Jesus! They've had like three release announcements this month, and we still don't know what's in that friggin' mystery box!

More
15 Feb 2010 23:56 #55639 by OldHippy
Replied by OldHippy on topic Re:The Eagle and the Lion
I've been waiting for this for a long, long time. Will it be ToI in Napoleonic times... I hope not. I love ToI but it wouldn't fit this time and really... I do not want the same game in a new skin (plus this is Nexus). It does look totally different based on the description page. A ten sided die that is modified by terrain, morale, unit type... that's not at all how ToI works.

Some of the excitement has worn off in the two years (it seems) since the original announcement, especially after the AoC fiasco (I pre-ordered my first game ever and got bit in the ass by a game I'll probably never play again). But Runewars worked so well and that is my second pre-order... 50/50 chance right, just like everything in life. But it is Nexus this time again... arrgghhhh

I'm waiting for a review or two... but I'm probably buying this fucker. I don't have a Napoleonic game (Waterloo isn't really a game right?) so this looks good to me.

More
16 Feb 2010 02:21 #55648 by jur
Replied by jur on topic Re:The Eagle and the Lion
This game hs been coming for a few years, and I've seen a prototype in Essen, but not being played. The game is a design of one of the War of the Ring guys, who has been a long time miniatures wargamer, and apparently it is his dream to do a Napoleonic game. My enthousiasm has cooled a bit because of the things i've seen, but I have no real idea of the game play yet, so it might turn out real good. Or turn out a nice game, but a lousy simulation.

At least it focusses on an interesting and less known part of the Napoleonic Wars, the campaigns in Portugal and Spain. Other armies will be added through expansions.

More
16 Feb 2010 13:13 #55680 by metalface13
I think the rules were released a while ago, but I never bothered to read them.

More
17 Feb 2010 03:44 #55726 by KingPut
Replied by KingPut on topic Re:The Eagle and the Lion
I'm putting in my pre-order of Worthingtons Napoleon's War for $48.00 pre-order rather than C&C or Eagle and Lion (I'm one of the biggest FFG fanboys but I was burned by AoC luckily I traded that away for Hannibal). In last 6 months I've played more games of Hold the Line (9) than any other game I own and I'm Jonesing to play a couple more battles this weekend since I've been snowed in. I'm psyched for my next battle, Brandywine.

Napoleon's War looks like a very slight bump up in complexity from Hold the Line which is perfect for me. Eagle and Lion looks like the most complex of the new Napoleonic games but it also has fiddley formations and stuff I don't want to deal with when kicking back with a friend drinking a couple of beers and rolling some 6's. Napoleon's War comes with custom map boards which is a big plus for me because it will cut down on set up time and leaves more time for killing shit.

The base Napoleon's War game: The 100 Days comes with custom game boards of Quatre Bras, Ligny, Wavre, and Waterloo. 120 plastic pieces in blue, red, and gray portray the French, British, and Prussian armies. Note: From the photos I think the minis in Eagle and Lion look much nicer than Napoleon's War.

In the pipeline are expansions: Napoleon's War II: Gates of Moscow which has the armies of France (blue), Russia (green) and Austria (white) and has the battles of Austerlitz, Friedland, Borodino, and Aspern-Essling.

Napoleon's War III: The Spanish Ulcer has the armies of France (France), Britain (red), and Spain (yellow) and has the battles of Salamanca, Talavera, Vitoria, and Vimeiro.

Also planned are value packs that have specific battles of varying size and scope with custom game boards and battle rules. These can be purchased at discounted price for those that already have the plastic pieces from one of the Napoleon's War series games.

I'm bummed I can't go down to Prezcon in Virgina next weekend to try out a demo of the game. But I'm more psyched about this than anything else coming out in 2010. Hopefully, Eagle and the Lion will be great and than I'll want that also but for right now I'm putting my dollars behind Napoleons's War.

More
22 Feb 2010 17:18 #56143 by DeletedUser

More
23 Feb 2010 05:15 #56232 by southernman
Has KingPut's dad started posting instead of KP ... or has KP skipped his midlife crisis and gone straight to gruff old grognard ?

More
24 Feb 2010 13:29 #56363 by Pat II
Replied by Pat II on topic Re:The Eagle and the Lion
This game looks awesome. Really looking forward to this one.

More
24 Feb 2010 14:52 #56373 by Space Ghost
The real question is, if they acquired BattleLore to be their "core" brand for tactical wargames, why isn't this a BattleLore game as well?

More
24 Feb 2010 15:58 #56387 by Malloc
Replied by Malloc on topic Re:The Eagle and the Lion
I had been watching this one for a but, since way back when i did the Mike Doyle interview. It looks interesting but there is so much int he pipeline now that I am interested in I do not know if I will get this one.

Pete it looks like one we want to get Andy or Rob to buy.

-M

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.388 seconds