October 09, 2023
2834 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2977 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

How many people do you play 2player games with?

More
20 May 2010 08:08 #63764 by kookoobah
Only 1 guy out of my entire play group really enjoys 2player games. We play War of the Ring mostly, a little Twilight Struggle, a bit of Horus Heresy and Summoner Wars. I bought War of the Ring CE, knowing that I'd only ever play it with him.

The thing with 2p games is that without constant play with each other, there's a incredible amount of skill disparity, and it makes most of these games unfun. Case in point, TS. The keyword is unfun. That's what I like about WotR, even if there is a huge skill disparity, both players still have fun playing the game (yes, I am biased). Summoner Wars is pretty good with this too, the game swings so much that even if the more experienced player is absolutely destroying the other guy, if there's an opening, and the noob takes it, sloppy play by the experienced player will be his undoing. I love that.

Battlelore trashtalk time: On the opposite end of the spectrum we have Battlelore, an absolute fucking dicefest that seriously has no strategy involved in it at all. You keep your units in formation and that's it. Period. You just roll dice afterwards, there isn't any manuevering or any surprise moves, nothing. Boring.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 May 2010 08:44 #63770 by stormseeker75
I don't get to play many solid 2-player games so I take whatever opponents I can get. My wife plays a lot with me, but she has no interest in wargames of any kind and she won't touch Summoners War.

More
20 May 2010 10:17 #63784 by Black Barney
With proper tactics, you can dominate in Battlelore.

Unless you roll bad.

i prefer 2-player games and play with my wife and a friend that comes over but yeah, the skill problem comes out often. She NEVER wins, yet wins multiplayer games often. So TS and WotR come off the radar sometimes, unfortunately.

More
20 May 2010 12:43 #63813 by Sagrilarus
I am slowly working 2-player games into my group's consciousness. This past Tuesday I got to play Pocket Battles and it was someone else's suggestion. That was big. We have two tables to play at and it's considered antisocial to play a 2p, but when my buddy Steve flashed the box at me I bailed on Auf Achse to get a seat.

I really only have one guy that is dependably interested in 2p games, and as rare as we can manage it it's down to about three titles -- Space Hulk, Tide of Iron, and Warriors of God.

S.

More
20 May 2010 13:10 #63818 by metalface13
I play with one other person, duh!

I generally play 2-player games with a friend of mine who has 4 kids and can't get out of the house much. We used to have more people and we'd play Descent, but they have since moved away. We play stuff like Dragon Dice, Netrunner, Summoner Wars or other games that aren't strictly "2-player" like LNOE, Marvel Heroes and such.

My wife and I will play games together sometimes, but it's usually Ingenious, Balloon Cup or Prophecy.

When my gaming brother and I get together we'll play anything we can that plays two players: Space Hulk, Pocket Battles, Twilight Struggle, Race for the Galaxy, etc.

More
20 May 2010 13:19 #63819 by ubarose
My Man's my constant 2-player game partner. We learn the games together, and rarely play 2-player against anyone else, so we are very well matched.

More
20 May 2010 13:35 #63822 by lj1983
I have one buddy who will play pretty much any 2 player game at least once with me. He loves combat commander so we have to get at least 1 game of that in every time we play. But CDGs are a hit with him, so lots of Twilight Struggle and Hannibal:RvC

I've tried to get my other regular gaming partner into the 2player stuff, but he's not into wargamey direct conflict stuff.

My wife will play a game or two of anything really just to make me happy. but she prefers the multiplayer games.

More
20 May 2010 13:39 #63823 by Chapel
It is next to near impossible to get a 2Player game to the table. Game night usually ends up with >7-8 players, and they always want a >2player game. Usually the only place I can finagle it is during BGG.CON.

One reason I juts don't buy 2 player games.

More
20 May 2010 14:20 #63826 by Johnny
I have a whole bunch (5-10) who I play against with varying regularity...
My kitchen/gaming area is pretty small - encouraging me to have one person over at a time, I like the 1-on-1 competitive dynamic of two-player games, and it's just easier to organize two people compared to a group.

More
20 May 2010 15:38 #63842 by sydo
I have a regular opponent for 2p Titan and now I am teaching him ASL. Otherwise, not much 2-player game sfor me :( But one of my friends saw Space Hulk when I was painting a genestealer and she suggested that we should definitely play that sometimes. I also bought Warhammer Invasion core set today with hopes to hook my friend who loved Doomtrooper back in the days. I used to play Twilight Struggle at our favourite beergarten during last summer but he went abroad so now I have to find other opponent :( The only 2-player game I play regularly is Hive - we run a Hive contest after several beers at the pub, it takes the game to a whole new dimension.

More
20 May 2010 15:43 #63845 by Mr. White
I play 2-player games with my neighbor.
We alternate who chooses the game. His picks are Space Hulk or Warhammer: Invasion.
My picks are Hammer of the Scots or Crusader Rex.

More
21 May 2010 02:31 #63898 by KingPut
Until last year I rarely played 2 player games. Wednesday game nights at Bobbytweek's are about play games with 4-6 players. Over the last year I've played a boat load of 2 player games. I started playing war games with Army Pete (mostly Hold the Line and Twilight Struggle)until he shipped out to Iraq. Since, than I've been mixing it up. Luckily, almost all the guys in our game group play Block games or Card Driven war games. In the last 6 months I've played 1812, Hammer of Scots, Prussia's Defiant Stand x2, Richard the 3rd, Washington's War and the Alamo game with Dr. Science, WWr with Bookman Pat, GBubs, Dogmatix, HtL with a couple of other guys, Hannibal with Wargame Jason and a few other guys at WAM. Friday night I'll be trying out Battle Above the Clouds with Igannaditty.

Overall, I've won about half the 2 games I played so I haven't had any problem with skill level. None of the guys I play are really experts in any games. However, my record is much better in HtL (about 9-2)and much worse in Twilight Struggles (0-6).

More
21 May 2010 10:09 #63925 by Mr. White
Sagrilarus wrote:

I really only have one guy that is dependably interested in 2p games, and as rare as we can manage it it's down to about three titles -- Space Hulk, Tide of Iron, and Warriors of God.

S.

The only knock I have against Warriors of God is how flavourless the rulebook is. I don't expect an in depth historical study, but most wargames come with a few notes to set the scene. WoG has nothing. Not a bad game though.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.665 seconds