October 09, 2023
2777 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2924 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Games that play with 8+

More
21 May 2010 00:27 #63889 by metalface13
I'm going on a family vacation next week and I was trying to think of some games to bring/buy that you can play with a lot of people.

Didn't somebody do a blog post on the subject a while back?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 May 2010 00:33 #63890 by ubarose

More
21 May 2010 01:58 #63893 by KingPut
Replied by KingPut on topic Re:Games that play with 8+
With most families you may also want hit the Target for family style games. Especially, if you have mixed generations games like Apples to Apples and Pictionary will probably work better than 8 player Ti3 or AH.

More
21 May 2010 08:16 #63911 by SuperflyPete
There's a few that I own that are pretty fun...

Top Secret Spies (Heimlich and Co.) from Rio Grande is a fun diversion.
Kill Doctor Lucky from Paizo Games is a lot of fun.
Epic Heroscape with a giant map and 350 point squads ROCKS.

That's all I can think of right now...will edit if I remember more.

More
21 May 2010 09:18 #63915 by Juniper
Replied by Juniper on topic Re:Games that play with 8+
Diamant works with 8.

More
21 May 2010 09:44 #63921 by MattFantastic
Saboteur has been a big hit with the family when it's come out. Plays up to 10. Pretty simple rules. I've found that traitor based games work great with family because people start bringing up some oldschool bullshit, like oh you have to be the traitor, remember when you hid my cabbage patch doll! Big plus for travel is that its just cards in a little double box.

Shadow Hunters is straight aces. It's a little bigger to pack though. Same good stuff as Saboteur, but I like it even better.

More
21 May 2010 12:39 #63965 by metalface13
Yeah I'm traveling from Utah to Virgina, so I don't think I'll be packing along anything like AH, TI3 or Heroscape.

Those in attendance will range from small children to teens to my sisters- and brothers-in-law, in-laws and grandpa-in law. So there will be lots of people and opportunities for different types of games.

I've got
The World Cup 2010 Card Game: Which is great for lots of people, especially my competitive brothers-in-laws

Bang!: But I think everybody got tired of this long ago, plus it drags on and on

Incan Gold: I'm kind of tired of this one, I'd like another choice besides "go on" and "head back to camp" but it's easy.

Kill Doctor Lucky: I've the Cheapass version, so I'd have to haul around pawns and stuff as well.

I'm thinking about getting:

Saboteur: A couple of my brother's have this and it's always comes out when my side of the family gets together. My wife thinks it's just alright, though.

Shadow Hunters: I finally played a game of this a month ago and think it does a much better job of doing what Bang does. It has anime art which could be a big turnoff (except for my niece who's into it) but it has a supernatural theme which my vampire obsessed mother-in-law and nieces would get into.

Maybe Citadels? Although I think that plays up to 7. BSG would probably be fun with my brothers-in-law as well, but I don't think my wife would OK that expenditure.

More
21 May 2010 16:03 #63977 by KingPut
Replied by KingPut on topic Re:Games that play with 8+
metalface13 wrote:

I'm thinking about getting:

Saboteur: A couple of my brother's have this and it's always comes out when my side of the family gets together. My wife thinks it's just alright, though.

Shadow Hunters: I finally played a game of this a month ago and think it does a much better job of doing what Bang does. It has anime art which could be a big turnoff (except for my niece who's into it) but it has a supernatural theme which my vampire obsessed mother-in-law and nieces would get into.

Both are good choices. I've played both games with 10 year old kids and 73 year old Grandpa.

You might hate werewolf but that is always a big hit.

More
21 May 2010 21:02 #64006 by dan daly
Replied by dan daly on topic Re:Games that play with 8+
I've got enough Wings of War stuff for sale/trade (Famous Aces, Watch you Back, Burning Drachens, Recon Patrol, Top Fighters) that you can have dog fights with up to 14 airplanes not counting players who are manning AAA on the ground. It's exactly that sort of mega game that I got all of the stuff for but have sadly not had the chance to actually do it. If you're interested in making a deal let me know.

More
21 May 2010 21:02 #64007 by dan daly
Replied by dan daly on topic Re:Games that play with 8+
I've got enough Wings of War stuff for sale/trade (Famous Aces, Watch you Back, Burning Drachens, Recon Patrol, Top Fighters) that you can have dog fights with up to 14 airplanes not counting players who are manning AAA on the ground. It's exactly that sort of mega game that I got all of the stuff for but have sadly not had the chance to actually do it. If you're interested in making a deal let me know.

More
21 May 2010 21:05 #64008 by mjl1783
Replied by mjl1783 on topic Re:Games that play with 8+
Magic Realm can do up to 16. What? They'll love it, trust me.

More
22 May 2010 02:13 #64026 by metalface13
Yeah, Wings of War can play with lots of people. I sold my Famous Aces a few years back though.

I think I'll just keep my money and play what I got though.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.153 seconds