October 09, 2023
2609 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2808 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

FFG keeps going - Blood Bowl Team Manager

More
04 Aug 2010 09:30 #69856 by Stormcow
FWIW, Heroes of Graxia is a deckbuilding game that involves attacking and killing your opponent's team. It comes up a little short on the deckbuilding side, but it's a start.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Aug 2010 09:49 #69860 by Zombie Peach
Hmmm... I remember the last time a game company tried to put this much product out so quickly. WotC ended up with D&D.

Seriously, FFG seems to be doing too much right now. I'm concerned about quantity over quality.

More
04 Aug 2010 10:23 #69864 by Last Alchemist
I haven't played Blood Bowl before, and to be honest it has never really interested me (mostly due to the painting and collecting required), but this has me somewhat intrigued. I am going to keep this on my radar.

LA

More
04 Aug 2010 10:28 - 04 Aug 2010 10:39 #69865 by Mr. White
Last Alchemist wrote:

I haven't played Blood Bowl before, and to be honest it has never really interested me (mostly due to the painting and collecting required), but this has me somewhat intrigued. I am going to keep this on my radar.

LA

Aren't you the same guy about to paint and collect a set of Incursion minis? How is that any different? If you're not that guy, I apologize.

Bloodbowl really is an outstanding game. Do yourself a favor and give it a try. GW gave up on it long ago, but the fans have kept it going strong.
Last edit: 04 Aug 2010 10:39 by Mr. White.

More
04 Aug 2010 10:49 #69869 by Last Alchemist
Jack Hooligan wrote:

Aren't you the same guy about to paint and collect a set of Incursion minis? How is that any different?

Bloodbowl really is an outstanding game. Do yourself a favor and give it a try. GW gave up on it long ago, but the fans have kept it going strong.

Buy, yes (with proceeds hopefully from the sale of my Space Hulk collection), paint, most likely not. I have been looking around for a good painter online actually. And I might be able to pay a friend of mine to do it for me.

Oh, I wasn't opposed to ever trying the game, but getting into it myself would probably have been a problem. I tend to have the Pokemon affect with anything I get into (board games especially), so I have an aversion to anything that comes anywhere close to collectable. I do this to save my pocketbook. I got into Heroclix when it first came out and within a year I had spent something like $2000 on the game, because I "NEEDED" the chase figures. I learned my lesson. It's why I have never tried a miniatures game at all, and why I have never even touched a Magic: The Gathering card.

I'm the consumer the publishers love to get their hooks into, and I know that. Instead, I try to avoid games which I know that if I like them I will be compelled to buy hundreds of dollars worth of product just to play. Luckily I am to the point that it is almost a Pavlovian Response for me when I find out that game takes a large investment, I just turn away and never look back.

All that being said, it wasn't a matter of not be interested in trying Bloodbowl (I know it has a really rabid fanbase, which has to mean something), it just that I didn't want to get into that same cycle with a game, and I worry that Bloodbowl would make me do that.

LA

More
04 Aug 2010 11:44 #69876 by evilgit
Zombie Peach wrote:

Hmmm... I remember the last time a game company tried to put this much product out so quickly. WotC ended up with D&D.

Seriously, FFG seems to be doing too much right now. I'm concerned about quantity over quality.

This.
This certainly could be good but I'm skeptical.

More
04 Aug 2010 12:08 #69881 by metalface13
I'm not going to lie, but this is more odd to me than the Space Hulk card game. I really hope this is anything like Dominion as I hated that game. Drafting cards for the sake of drafting cards is lame. I want to DO something with my cards. I also don't see how you could draft players from a common pool because in Blood Bowl the teams are faction specific. A Wood Elf team isn't going to be fighting over who gets the next Beastman to come up.

If I can throw my two cents in about getting into Blood Bowl, it's more about the game than modeling and minis. Granted I've only played casually with my friends and we never painted our minis, so I can't speak for what official leagues and tournaments are like. And for cost, you get all the guys you need to field a squad in a single boxed set. And you don't need all the squads. You're best off learning one team and learning that team really, really well.

More
04 Aug 2010 12:35 #69886 by Zombie Peach
metalface13 wrote:

If I can throw my two cents in about getting into Blood Bowl, it's more about the game than modeling and minis. Granted I've only played casually with my friends and we never painted our minis, so I can't speak for what official leagues and tournaments are like. And for cost, you get all the guys you need to field a squad in a single boxed set. And you don't need all the squads. You're best off learning one team and learning that team really, really well.

Well said, and very likely the reason GW no longer actively produces it, even though it is still ridiculously popular. Once you buy your team, you don't need to keep buying.

I'm interested in what this game will offer. Warhammer:Invasion was just boring and uninspired to me, so we'll see if this can do any better.

More
04 Aug 2010 12:51 #69890 by Michael Barnes
The "quantity over quality" issue, strangely, hasn't really affected FFG much in the past...they've usually announced a slew of games come Gen Con time, and the biggest problem has been actually getting them to the church on time so to speak. How long ago was it that REINS OF POWER was announced?

It seems to me that they've had a pretty slow first half of the year with only three major releases, none of which were exactly chartbusters. Now they've got at least a couple of games all at once that have piqued interest...and not a single one of them is an original property, they're all games based on other games!

Come to think of it...this will be _five_ releases this year that are games based on other games if we count HORUS HERESY and BATTLES OF WESTEROS. Wait, no, _SEVEN_ games all based on other games...RUNEWARS was based on BATTLEMIST, and then there's DUNGEONQUEST too!

I remain optimistic about this BB thing, the SH game, and the other announced titles...it is disappointing that there isn't a FFG original in the lot though.

More
04 Aug 2010 12:55 #69891 by Mr. White
And I _really_ question a LotR co-op cardgame when the Knizia co-op is about to go to the SilverLine (which, itself is almost a cardgame).

More
04 Aug 2010 13:09 #69893 by Michael Barnes
Wow, I hadn't really pieced it together until that last post...this year FFG has released/will release:

RUNEWARS (based on BATTLEMIST)
HORUS HERESY (based on the GW game and 40K)
BATTLES OF WESTEROS (based on BATTLELORE)
DEATH WING (based on SPACE HULK)
BLOOD BOWL TEAM MANAGER (based on BLOOD BOWL)
CIVILIZATION (based on CIV 5)
DUNGEONQUEST (based on DQ)
mini Knizia LOTR (based on big Knizia LOTR)

That makes the LOTR LCG the only "original" title this year, and that will almost certainly be largely derived from their other LOTR properties. I'm not including games like BATTLES OF NAPOLEON or the Dust titles, which are not in-house productions or designs.

You know, I was thinking about it too...if we're going to come down on TICKET TO RIDE: THE CARD GAME, TICKET TO RIDE: THE DICE GAME, and all that...how is it OK when games we like are given the double-dip, scale-down treatment?

More
04 Aug 2010 13:23 #69895 by Shellhead
I love Slapshot. I hate Dominion. I will wait and see on this Blood Bowl Team Manager.

More
04 Aug 2010 13:42 #69897 by metalface13
You forgot Isla Dorada, Constantinopolis, Dragonheart, SmileyFace and then the recently acquired Cadwallon: City of Thieves and Dust Tactics, and Battles of Napoleon via Nexus.

More
04 Aug 2010 13:48 #69899 by Mr. White
none of those are FFG designs though are they?

More
04 Aug 2010 13:57 #69902 by Dogmatix
Schweig! wrote:

If anything this sounds like Slapshot: Blood Bowl edition to me.

Hadn't thought about that; yea, that's an interesting analogy.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.206 seconds