October 09, 2023
2607 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2807 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

World of warcraft The Adventure Game on Tanga

More
12 Aug 2010 11:52 #70921 by username
World of Warcraft the Adventure Game on tanga for 25 $$ shipped.

This is the smaller game, not the coffin box.

Some people consider this to be better than the coffin box version.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Aug 2010 12:12 #70928 by generalpf
Squigherder wrote:

Some people consider this to be better than the coffin box version.

"Some people" being all of those who have played both.

More
12 Aug 2010 12:17 #70932 by jeb
Talk to me about this. I want Skelly to come in and drop the knowledge on all these things. How am I supposed to tell the difference between:

WORLD OF WARCRAFT: THE ADVENTURE GAME
TALISMAN
CLAUSTROPHOBIA
RUNEBOUND
DESCENT
CASTLE RAVENLOFT
MIDDLE EARTH QUEST
..not to mentio the OOP stuff like HEROQUEST, DUNGEONQUEST, RETURN OF THE HEROES, &c.

If I have DESCENT, is this one just -more-? What's the novelty?

More
12 Aug 2010 12:28 - 12 Aug 2010 12:30 #70934 by Josh Look
Well, it is a hell of a lot better than the original WoW game. Play-wise, it's sort of like MEQ with dice. You roll to move, which also determines your "power level" for the turn, and your powers are the cards in your hand. You roll dice to fight, too, but since there's alot of attack power cards, you're playing cards in addition to rolling dice. You can screw with your opponents a little bit more than the adventure game genre usually allows.

For the price, it's a good purchase. I may retire some of your other games like it. At one point, I preferred this over Talisman (and still do) but not MEQ. Time was not good to MEQ however, since it's all mechanics and little fun, so I suppose I can put this one on top.

It's nothing like Descent, Claustrophobia, and the like.
Last edit: 12 Aug 2010 12:30 by Josh Look.

More
12 Aug 2010 13:06 #70938 by Space Ghost
The original one is just like the computer game....and it takes quite awhile to play. As Browncoat mentioned, this is more like Talisman --- so it depends on the depth that you are looking for. I think I prefer Runebound (especially with a couple of the big board expansions) to the Adventure game.

And, I agree whole-heartedly about time and MEQ. It basically plays itself because there isn't enough variation. I will say though, that the combat/fatigue system in MEQ is a winner.

More
12 Aug 2010 13:17 #70940 by MattFantastic
I really like it. But only get it if you really dig fantasy adventure games already and just want more variety.

More
12 Aug 2010 19:11 #70973 by Stephen Avery
I like it too. I hope they put up the charater packs soon...

Steve"Adventurer"Avery

More
12 Aug 2010 22:43 #70984 by Josh Look
I actually like how expansions for this work. They're not essential by any means, but given that they're just new characters, they really add some longevity to the game.

More
13 Aug 2010 00:55 #70985 by ubarose
jeb wrote:

Talk to me about this. I want Skelly to come in and drop the knowledge on all these things. How am I supposed to tell the difference between:

TALISMAN
CLAUSTROPHOBIA
RUNEBOUND
DESCENT
CASTLE RAVENLOFT
MIDDLE EARTH QUEST
..not to mentio the OOP stuff like HEROQUEST, DUNGEONQUEST, RETURN OF THE HEROES, &c.

If I have DESCENT, is this one just -more-? What's the novelty?

DESCENT is a dungeon crawl, as is CLAUSTROPHOBIA and CASTLE RAVENLOFT. CLAUSTROPHOBIA and CASTLE RAVENLOFT, however, don't have a DM. Everyone plays the heroes.

RUNEBOUND, WORLD OF WARCRAFT: THE ADVENTURE GAME and TALISMAN are adventure games. They are nothing like DESCENT.

MIDDLE EARTH QUEST may be an adventure game but is really very different from RUNEBOUND, WORLD OF WARCRAFT: THE ADVENTURE GAME and TALISMAN.

More
13 Aug 2010 05:38 - 13 Aug 2010 23:32 #70994 by Mr Skeletor
jeb the worlds shittest Carcassone Player wrote:

Adventure Game. Big, long, emphasis on character building and combat. Combat is very detailed. This is a team game where you attempt to either be the first of 2 teams to beat the end of game baddie, or beat the other team up in an end of fight battle. Each character plays very different and is customised via power card selection and equipment gathered. Lots of character and leveling variety.

TALISMAN
Adventure Game. Casual, light, random, easy to play. Emphasis on enjoying the stuff that happens to your character and seeing his journey unfold. Most mechanics are just 'roll a die'. Probably the best beer and pretzils game. You basically take a character and roll him around the board, fighting beasties and getting in tavern fights till he levels up enough to go into the middle of the board and attempt to take the crown of game winning.

CLAUSTROPHOBIA
Dungeoncrawl. Easy to play, but has more strategy than first appears. Plays very quick for a Dungeon Crawl. Mission based. Similar in presentation to space hulk (without the Sci-fi). Awesome components. A bunch of x-crims and a religios nut tries to complete a mission while the endless horeds from hell try to stop them. Potentialy the best Dungeoncrawl under an hour there is (early days for me to claim this definitivly yet). 2 player only.

RUNEBOUND
Talisman advanced. Takes out the randomness of talisman, adding in more complexity, strategy and depth, which is both good and bad depending on what you are looking for. Not as Beer friendly as talisman. It also loses some of the player interaction Talisman has.

Just got a summon to go drinking so I'll do the rest later.

EDIT

DESCENT
Dungeon crawl. Mission based. A lot more strategic and involved than your standard DC.

CASTLE RAVENLOFT
No idea. Looks boring and very generic.

MIDDLE EARTH QUEST
Adventure game, but with the twist that 1 plyer plays the forces of evil. More mechanical and 'gamey' than the standard adventure game.

HEROQUEST
Dungeon Crawl. Quite basic and simple. The best DC for kids.

DUNGEONQUEST
Adventure game. Fast playing. Lots of luck. Essentially a push your luck game where survival is minimal. Focus is on greed.

RETURN OF THE HEROES
Adventure game. Pretty simple, shorter length. Lacks some replayability. Focus is on completeing missions to win the game.

There you go.

Last edit: 13 Aug 2010 23:32 by Mr Skeletor.

More
13 Aug 2010 06:39 #70995 by KingPut
Here's my take on adventure games:
Adventure Games for Dummies

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.174 seconds