October 09, 2023
2537 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2738 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Monsters Menace America: Sounds like a plan

More
04 Sep 2010 02:08 #73127 by JacobMartin
Ladies and gents of F:AT - I consider myself not so much a fan of outright historical wargames but instead quirky games with a lot of theme so far.

Which is why I'm passing up Axis and Allies for now, since the version my FLGS has isn't the anniversary edition just the revised 1942 version.

Instead, I want to get Monsters Menace America not just because it is out of print now but because its theme and simple premise and claim to easy to learn rules really appeals to me as a board gamer, in the same way a quick match of Magic cards does when a friend is over.

Here's why I want this game rather than Axis and Allies - when I was a kid, SBS in my country used to play a lot of those old Godzilla movies that were really silly but fun, I never saw the original in Japanese yet but I do have a memorable experience watching the mashup of the Raymond Burr version with my twin brother.

This game also takes the vein of humour in gaming and processes it in a way that isn't really too Munchkiny, it's just outright silliness that's light, and in a way that's what I need in my gaming when my old school friends are over. The soft-sci-fi feel of the game is nice and accessible too - because most of my friends hate fantasy games but might not feel the same way about what is essentially a Godzilla parody board game.

Any advice about whether I should take the plunge? Seems like for what you get in the Avalon Hill version my FLGS has it's worth it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Sep 2010 02:39 #73128 by Grudunza
I liked it a lot, the one time I've played it so far. It's dumb fun, but definitely fun, and there's even some tactical play, though it's all very light.

More
04 Sep 2010 08:41 #73135 by Brewmiester
Some people complain about the Monster Challenge at the end but I think it is pretty appropriate for the genre. Our group had a blast playing it the time it made the table.

More
04 Sep 2010 12:17 #73143 by ubarose
Since playing Moongha Invaders, the appeal of Monsters Menace America has greatly dimmed. I'm probably going to get rid of my copy of MMA. Other than price, the only advantage of Monsters Menace America over Moongha is that it's a more a accessible, lighter game.

More
04 Sep 2010 12:40 #73144 by JacobMartin
Hmm, might put that money towards Battle Cry instead...

I just want a game that's significantly Ameritrashy that isn't yet more Magic cards for a change. It helps that Battle Cry is kinda like Memoir '44 without the expensive expansions.

Yeah, I'm not so sure I'm willing to pay 77 AUSTbucks for a light game like MMA now.

More
04 Sep 2010 13:24 - 04 Sep 2010 13:29 #73145 by Notahandle
You might want to consider SUPER GIANT MONSTER SHOWDOWN .
(It's OOP so some patience might be required. Or not. Ebay search. )

Or wait for Super Power Monsters.
Last edit: 04 Sep 2010 13:29 by Notahandle.

More
04 Sep 2010 18:17 #73158 by southernman
JacobMartin wrote:

Hmm, might put that money towards Battle Cry instead...

I just want a game that's significantly Ameritrashy that isn't yet more Magic cards for a change. It helps that Battle Cry is kinda like Memoir '44 without the expensive expansions.

Yeah, I'm not so sure I'm willing to pay 77 AUSTbucks for a light game like MMA now.

I think Battle Cry is being re-released at the end of the year with improvements. Memoir '44 plays fine with the base game so don't worry that you have to buy expansions.
I've just been having a look on the MilSIms website and they have got some bloody good prices compared to the UK, here's some to consider:

A&A:Europe $40
A&A:Pacific $40
A&A:Europe 1940 $72 (latest edition, nearly as big as Anniversary)
A&A:Pacific 1940 $72 (see above)
Attack!Deluxe Edition $57 (Barnes and others say this version is good)
Battlestar Galactica $60 (Supreme Trashy rating, say no more)
Betrayal at House on the Hill $52 pre-order (Cult trashy game)
Neuroshima Hex $64 (a favourite with FATies)
Risk 2210 $52
Risk: Revised $56 (bit pricy)
Doom $72

More
04 Sep 2010 18:23 #73159 by southernman
I was checking out a game you definitely should get - Nexus Ops - as I always see posts about it still being available in Australia (not available anywhere else in the world as far as I know) and it showed up here, Gaming Dragon , for $35 but also MMA is there for $25 - SCORE !!

More
04 Sep 2010 19:27 #73161 by Grudunza
ubarose wrote:

Since playing Moongha Invaders, the appeal of Monsters Menace America has greatly dimmed. I'm probably going to get rid of my copy of MMA. Other than price, the only advantage of Monsters Menace America over Moongha is that it's a more a accessible, lighter game.

And the eyeball alien, no??

More
04 Sep 2010 19:51 #73163 by Ancient_of_MuMu
Southernman wrote:

I was checking out a game you definitely should get - Nexus Ops - as I always see posts about it still being available in Australia (not available anywhere else in the world as far as I know) and it showed up here, Gaming Dragon , for $35 but also MMA is there for $25 - SCORE !!

Its finally starting to disappear. The days of finding it for AU$20 while the rest of the world pays hundreds for copies seem to be gone.

More
04 Sep 2010 20:54 #73167 by ubarose
Grudunza wrote:

ubarose wrote:

Yes you are right. The monster minis are pretty awesome. But I didn't want Jacob the kid thinking I'm too immature. :)

More
04 Sep 2010 21:47 #73169 by MattFantastic
Nexus Ops is the game you want for everything you've been posting about looking for except for the sense of epic scale. But get it while you can cause it is awesome and won't be around forever.

I dunno what the changes are with the new edition, but the original C&C Battle Cry was pretty meh. I should have mentioned this in the A&A thread cause it works for that too, but you can play Battle Cry for free with a really nice interface at Game Table Online . They did all this stuff up for WotC when they were going to have that big Goozex mess, but then that got trashed and GTO was given permission to host them. Though on the fancy games you can only play against AI for free, it should give you a good idea of the system and if you like it or not.

More
04 Sep 2010 22:45 #73180 by JacobMartin
ubarose wrote:

Grudunza wrote:

ubarose wrote:

Yes you are right. The monster minis are pretty awesome. But I didn't want Jacob the kid thinking I'm too immature. :)

You probably have had more than one term of adult employment, good lady.

I think that counts as being more mature than me.

You know you're considered young when the 25 year olds on campus treat you with a gentle, sniggering jest at your emoness about how growing up is so angsty.

More
05 Sep 2010 00:54 #73187 by ubarose
JacobMartin wrote:

ubarose wrote:

Grudunza wrote:

ubarose wrote:

You probably have had more than one term of adult employment, good lady.

I think that counts as being more mature than me.

You know you're considered young when the 25 year olds on campus treat you with a gentle, sniggering jest at your emoness about how growing up is so angsty.

I was only 17 when I went away to college. My first year I got called "kiddo" and "girlie" and had my had patted a lot.

More
05 Sep 2010 06:54 - 05 Sep 2010 06:55 #73192 by southernman
When I was 25 I was living in Brisbane (Aussie) for a few monthe and I was asked my age in a pub, during the bloody afternoon, by a guy who looked about 5 years younger than me - why that made us all laugh at our table was because the drinking age in Aussie is 18 !!!

Jacob - go buy fucking Nexus Ops (you won't regret it) and MMA before they disappear, I'd jump at them even though I already have NO at those prices !

And if you want to try A&A then the two variant editions I listed in that post, Europe and Pacific, play with less players and slightly different play.
Last edit: 05 Sep 2010 06:55 by southernman.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.189 seconds