October 09, 2023
2610 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2809 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Love at Second Sight

More
10 Sep 2010 11:13 #73590 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic Re:Love at Second Sight
FFG Arkham Horror. Absolutely hated it the first time I played. But I had played the original a lot. The original game is a bad point of reference for the FFG version. It just confused me. Like I just couldn't wrap my head around the map, plus it was the first printing with the dark purple back ground which was difficult to read.

The original game board is a street map, so moving around is totally intuitive. FFG's board is really very abstract until you get used to it. I kept asking, "Where are the streets?" and the guy teaching would say that the blocks titled Downtown, or whatever, were the streets. I'd say, "Those aren't streets, those are squares."

I kept trying to move on the streets that are faintly depicted on the background image of the board. In the original, most of the game is plotting an efficient route from point A to point B, so that you avoid the huge numbers of monsters roaming the streets. You have a lot of options, because the streets are mostly laid out in a grid, so can go around the block, or down a different street to get where you need to go. You also never want to end your turn in the street, because monsters WILL land on you and just KILL you. Going into buildings to avoid monsters pretty much sucks too, but sucks less than being killed by a monster. Also, characters just die. No auto healing at the hospital. If your character lasts longer than 14 minutes, you're doing well.

So anyway, the FFG version was just familiar enough, and different enough to confuse the hell out of me.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Sep 2010 11:16 #73592 by Ken B.
Replied by Ken B. on topic Re:Love at Second Sight
Starcraft
Middle-Earth Quest

The second of those has made me truly consider my own hubris...like, I always could just *know* if something was worth my time after a single play-through...like I'd played enough games to just make snap judgments like that.

Some games take study, and getting past that first clumsy play.

Starcraft...I still hate the ending, but like Mitch Hedberg said, "The beginning and the middle are amazing."

More
10 Sep 2010 11:17 #73593 by OldHippy
Replied by OldHippy on topic Re:Love at Second Sight
Sagrilarus wrote:

kookoobah wrote:

Tide of Iron grew on me. It felt very clunky and slow, but these days it's a refreshing change from all the games we play.

I just got that same feeling from ToI last night. Last night's game was very good in spite of being about nine months worth of rusty on the rules. There's more to it than I initially gave it credit for.

S.

I still say that ToI is the best FFG product from that time.

More
10 Sep 2010 11:23 #73594 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Re:Love at Second Sight
I was a big fan of the original Arkham Horror, and still have fond memories of the original board. I didn't like the look of the new FFG board at all, it looked like a garish flowchart. Otherwise, I really enjoyed the Arkham Horror right away, and picked up on most of the new rules easily.

A few months after I bought Arkham Horror, I came across an image of the underlying image of the FFG board, just the streets and buildings in darkness. And suddenly I recognized that the image was a faithful re-creation of the detailed town map from the excellent Arkham Unveiled supplement for Call of Cthulhu. Suddenly, I liked the FFG board. But I don't like the daylight version from all the subsequent printings. That sepia tone was great for Dunwich, gave everything an appropriately dirty and rural look. but I prefer nighttime for Arkham.

More
10 Sep 2010 11:45 #73598 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic Re:Love at Second Sight
Shellhead wrote:

Suddenly, I liked the FFG board. But I don't like the daylight version from all the subsequent printings. That sepia tone was great for Dunwich, gave everything an appropriately dirty and rural look. but I prefer nighttime for Arkham.

I'm not crazy about the sepia tone either. Since getting my copy (the daylight version) I've discovered that there is significant variation in the background colors/contrast of the nighttime boards. A different friend has a copy where the night background is perfect. Now I'm jealous. I want his board.

More
10 Sep 2010 12:52 #73601 by Shellhead
Uba, I'm eventually going to buy a second copy of Arkham Horror just to have a spare copy of the night map. My board is finally starting to wear down some, though it survived the Great Flood of 2008. I have a strict No Beverages On Table rule when we play Arkham, but one of my players stupidly put his large, full glass of water on the table while we were putting it away. The spill covered most of the Arkham board, but missed everything else because we were almost finished putting it away. Fortunately, there was a roll of paper towels at hand because of an earlier spill, so Arkham was saved.

More
10 Sep 2010 14:29 #73607 by Space Ghost
Replied by Space Ghost on topic Re:Love at Second Sight
How do you intentionally get a "night map" (and does anyone have a link to what it looks like? vs. the day map?).

More
10 Sep 2010 15:34 #73611 by Shellhead
Space Ghost wrote:

How do you intentionally get a "night map" (and does anyone have a link to what it looks like? vs. the day map?).

Daytime in Arkham:

Nighttime in Arkham:

Ye Olde Arkham:

More
10 Sep 2010 15:37 #73612 by Shellhead
The only way to be sure of getting the Night version of the board is to buy or trade for a used or at least opened copy that is from the first FFG print run. If you buy an unopened copy, you are likely to get the Day board.

More
10 Sep 2010 19:02 #73631 by KingPut
Replied by KingPut on topic Re:Love at Second Sight
Back in about 2005 I was playing 4 or 5 one hour Euros on games night. A 90 minute game seemed like a long game during my Euro binging phase. So about that time I tried a number of games that were ok (I think I originally rated them all about a 6 on BGG) but they were just way to long. I some how forgot about being a kid and having a blast playing the same game all day long. Now all these games are on my top 20 list.

My use to be too long but now I love them list:
Arkham Horror
Ti3
Hannibal
Doom
Risk

More
11 Sep 2010 08:50 - 11 Sep 2010 14:23 #73659 by wkover
Replied by wkover on topic Re:Love at Second Sight
Age of Steam - Completely brutal on the first play, and still brutal on the second - but at least I'd figured out what was going on by game 2.

Snow Tails - The big mistake is that everyone plays their first game of Snow Tails on a completely bland, obstruction-free board. That's just wrong. You need tree tiles, the leap of death, and sharp curves - as well as a full complement of players - for the real fun to begin.

Most wargames - I tried block games, CDG, etc. before I was really into the genre, so I thought they were all just OK. I gave them a second chance when my interest in wargames was re-piqued, and I then discovered their sweet, sweet awesomeness.
Last edit: 11 Sep 2010 14:23 by wkover.

More
11 Sep 2010 14:24 #73668 by KingPut
Replied by KingPut on topic Re:Love at Second Sight
wkover wrote:

Most wargames - I tried block games, CDG, etc. before I was really into the genre, so I thought they were all just OK. Then I gave them a second chance when my interest in wargames was re-piqued, and I then discovered their sweet, sweet awesomeness.

One of these days I'll try Napoleons Triumph with the dice expansion and than it might be love at second sight.

More
14 Sep 2010 18:27 #73998 by wkover
Replied by wkover on topic Re:Love at Second Sight
KingPut wrote:

One of these days I'll try Napoleons Triumph with the dice expansion and than it might be love at second sight.

Is this where you get to chuck a metal die at your opponent for each morale point that he loses in the game? I'm all over that.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.198 seconds