October 09, 2023
2602 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2801 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Multiplayer DoaM Addiction -- need my fix

More
01 Jan 2011 14:36 #83327 by Msample
Hex Sinister wrote:

I think Fortress America is better suited for two players but it's still pretty cool.

Disagree. Multi player allows for bickering between the invaders and makes things more interesting IMO, altough being the Red player can often feel like butting your head against a wall.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Jan 2011 15:43 #83328 by Notahandle
Msample wrote:
" Disagree. Multi player allows for bickering between the invaders and makes things more interesting IMO, altough being the Red player can often feel like butting your head against a wall."
Disagree. I've said before that Fortress America is best two-player; the last turn grab stuff from your allies is as artificial as Stellar Conquests last minute scout shotgun colonisation, both end on a sour note.

More
01 Jan 2011 16:27 #83329 by southernman
I'll even it up at 2-2 and agree with Msample 'cos I like the interaction that can occur between the invaders, even before the last round when they have to agree on how they all should attack the US - it's fun as the US trying to sow a few seeds of disagreement or distrust between them :-) (same in Risk:SWOT when in 5-player as the Hutts you try and break up the plans of the teammates in the two teams).

Generally I do prefer multi-player games purely for the interaction between different humans but will play 2-player games designed for two players.

More
01 Jan 2011 16:30 #83330 by jur
Zombie state, although not so much direct aggression as deflection

More
01 Jan 2011 18:24 #83332 by Notahandle
Southernman wrote:
" it's fun as the US trying to sow a few seeds of disagreement or distrust between them :-)"
And this works for you? Do you play against three dumbasses or just one very paranoid one? :)

More
01 Jan 2011 18:30 #83333 by southernman
Notahandle wrote:

Southernman wrote:
" it's fun as the US trying to sow a few seeds of disagreement or distrust between them :-)"
And this works for you? Do you play against three dumbasses or just one very paranoid one? :)

What I mean is you try and affect their 'joint' plans to suit you a bit better - only works infrequently but still a lot of fun, which is why I enjoy playing with groups rather than just one person ... I'm gregarious by nature (which probably explains why I'm having trouble getting myself to play the solitaire games I bought even though they really interest me).

More
02 Jan 2011 04:46 #83338 by Hex Sinister
I guess I prefer two players in Fortress America because it plays so much faster and therefore, better. Multiplayer sessions just grind to a halt due to my group dynamic. It's just a personal preference. Since Kookoobah is giving a pass to quasi co-ops then this one would definately fit his criteria.

More
02 Jan 2011 18:07 #83363 by kookoobah
Imperial 2030 isn't too euro-y? It looks like a bunch of meeples and worker placement on the rondel.

Are the MB Gamesmaster games still available? I tried checking out Ebay, and it's like 200 dollars.

Are the Dune expansions important? I'm currently deciding between either buying a copy of Dune on Ebay, or making a PnP copy myself.

More
02 Jan 2011 18:24 #83365 by Notahandle
Most comments seem to be that the Dune expansions aren't worth bothering with.

More
02 Jan 2011 21:01 #83370 by dan daly

Are the MB Gamesmaster games still available? I tried checking out Ebay, and it's like 200 dollars.

Which one are you looking for that was going for $200?

The 1980s edition of Axis and Allies is plentiful and should come cheap. You'll probably pay more for shipping then for the game. You might be able to find a copy at a thrift store.

Samurai Swords is more expensive, but still not rare by any means.

Fortres America runs a little more then Samurai Swords, but copies are up on ebay all the time. $60 is usually what I see them going for (complete and in good condition) although better deals happen occasionaly, definitely not $200.

Conquest of the Empire did have pretty high prices back before the Eagle edition game out. I'm not sure what the new game has done to ebay prices on the old one.

Broadsides and Boarding Parties is probably the rarest of the bunch. I've never gone hunting for it so am unfamiliar with the going rate.

More
02 Jan 2011 23:17 #83377 by jeb
dan daly wrote:

Which one are you looking for that was going for $200?

The 1980s edition of Axis and Allies is plentiful and should come cheap. You'll probably pay more for shipping then for the game. You might be able to find a copy at a thrift store.

Samurai Swords is more expensive, but still not rare by any means.

Fortres America runs a little more then Samurai Swords, but copies are up on ebay all the time. $60 is usually what I see them going for (complete and in good condition) although better deals happen occasionaly, definitely not $200.

Conquest of the Empire did have pretty high prices back before the Eagle edition game out. I'm not sure what the new game has done to ebay prices on the old one.

Broadsides and Boarding Parties is probably the rarest of the bunch. I've never gone hunting for it so am unfamiliar with the going rate.

Dollars to doughnuts he's seeing eBay rates for the A&A ANNIVERSARY ED., which is getting fucking crazy prices. As noted though, SHOGUN (SAMURAI SWORDS) and the first AXIS & ALLIES can be found cheap.

To echo Loter, though, if you can't get behind NEXUS OPS as a good DoaM game, you are crazy pants.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.157 seconds