October 09, 2023
2594 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2790 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× For those who like to push chits.

Fall Wargaming

More
21 Sep 2008 20:56 #11662 by Harkonnen13
Fall Wargaming was created by Harkonnen13
What wargames are you planning to play this fall (that would be in the next 3 months or so)?

Me:

World at War: As much as possible. Eisenbach, 1st Panzer, and hopefully Blood and Bridges will make it's target release for October. A fast bloody game that rocks. Vassal with Skype, anyone?

GMTs Musket & Pike series: I got Gustav Adolph not too long ago and will be giving it a shot. Luckily there's another guy in my area that likes it so I get to play. Pretty crunchy, 28 pages to the core rules but looks do-able. I need a break from WWII games.

Great Battles of History: I picked up RAN and Alexander Deluxe recently so they will get played. I'll use the Simple GBoH rules for Alexander, RAN is a slightly stripped-down version of the standard rules with cool stuff like opposing commanders having katana duels so I'll go with the rules in that box.

Storm Over Stalingrad: I got this one recently, soloed it, it will get played f2f. Area impulse Stalingrad in 3-4 hours. Way too stripped-down to be compared to Turning Point: Stalingrad. So far it seems like a good light wargame.

Conflict of Heroes: Subversive mind control internet operatives have convinced me to go against my better judgment and buy this. When I read a blurb that said "a wargame eurogamers will love" it translated to "I would rather get the clap than play this". Actually by the reviews I've read this game looks good. The armor rules in LnL bother me and the CoH action point system looks neat so it's worth a shot. I should have it in my possession by the end of the week and a bunch of locals have it so it will hit the table.

Lock n Load: Yep, it will hit the table a couple times. If I own everything for LnL why did I buy Conflict of Heroes?

The Devil's Cauldron: Might hit the table at BGG Con.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Sep 2008 21:03 #11663 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Re:Fall Wargaming
I'd love to play The Devil's Cauldron. I completely feel you on the CoH hype. It almost swept me into buying it but right now I am staying on the sidelines. It will take a month or two of people really playing this game instead of raving about it for me to buy it. I'm suspicious of the hype, and add to that that I'm not an eastfront guy and I definitely can wait.

In terms of myself...

I'll definitely be firing up VASSAL for Clash of Monarchs. It looks cool but I would not anticipate it seeing the ftf table.

I've been playing Twilight Struggle on wargameroom and I anticipate that continuing. Not really my favorite game (too card gamey) but sometimes I find myself with an hour or two extra late at night and this fits into that.

I played FAB:Bulge and it has reignited my love of the game. I think I'll try firing wargameroom up for that as well. If any of you F:AT guys want to schedule a wargameroom game of FAB:Bulge, preferably starting at 9 or so central, *please* let me know.

I will also continue playing a game or two PBEM of Here I Stand and Triumph of Chaos.

More
21 Sep 2008 21:16 #11667 by GROGnads
Replied by GROGnads on topic Re:Fall Wargaming
:) Yeah, and I've got a whole slew of 'block' kinds that I'd like to have a "GO" with, as well with some others, once I can re-acquaint a former 'boardgamer' that I know of, with those. He's mainly interested in the former with the 'blocks' for now, so this'll have to be with one of the following: "Clash for a Continent"; "The Vicksburg Campaign"; "Blood of Noble Men: the Alamo"; and maybe even that VARIANT for "Napoleon" Check it out some here then:
"Variable FRENCH Starting Forces" http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/297894
Oh yeah, and in fact HE would like to be trying a few of the "Axis & Allies" sort, with 'Pacific' & 'Europe' being at the top for any.
B)

More
21 Sep 2008 21:28 #11669 by Harkonnen13
Replied by Harkonnen13 on topic Re:Fall Wargaming
Gary Sax wrote:

I'd love to play The Devil's Cauldron. I completely feel you on the CoH hype. It almost swept me into buying it but right now I am staying on the sidelines. It will take a month or two of people really playing this game instead of raving about it for me to buy it. I'm suspicious of the hype, and add to that that I'm not an eastfront guy and I definitely can wait.

I rarely fall for the hype. I did buy TDC but not because it went straight to #1 on BGG. I like tactical games and company level tactical games are kind of rare. Add to that it was touted as a "friendly" monster (as well as the first monster I actually played) so I pulled the trigger. If CoH sucks at least I'll have good trade bait once the first printing isn't available. You're a wise man to hold off.

GROGnads wrote:

:) Yeah, and I've got a whole slew of 'block' kinds that I'd like to have a "GO" with, as well with some others, once I can re-acquaint a former 'boardgamer' that I know of, with those. He's mainly interested in the former with the 'blocks' for now, so this'll have to be with one of the following: "Clash for a Continent"; "The Vicksburg Campaign"; "Blood of Noble Men: the Alamo"; and maybe even that VARIANT for "Napoleon" Check it out some here then:
"Variable FRENCH Starting Forces" http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/297894
Oh yeah, and in fact HE would like to be trying a few of the "Axis & Allies" sort, with 'Pacific' & 'Europe' being at the top for any.
B)

Clash for a continent is something I might actually try. Blood of Noble Men is something I've looked at but I might pull the trigger on Gringo instead. Civil/Revolutionary/Mexican-American War games are something I've avoided but I think I'm developing an interest. Can't do WWII and modern all the time.

More
21 Sep 2008 22:07 #11670 by vialiy
Replied by vialiy on topic Re:Fall Wargaming
I don't know any wargamers around, so I'll get the solo game Tokyo Express on the table soon. I'm supposed to get Yom Kippour soon and might well try that too.

More
21 Sep 2008 22:25 #11671 by Gary Sax
I forgot one! I really want to play Up Front this fall as well. I've played the intro scenario and the system is so groundbreaking--and still is. I can't even imagine how mind blowing playing Up Front was in 1983. Even today it is more innovative than other recent card games. It seems to me Combat Commander is a safer less innovative version of Up Front.

More
21 Sep 2008 23:48 - 21 Sep 2008 23:55 #11672 by Bulwyf
Replied by Bulwyf on topic Re:Fall Wargaming
Harkonnen13 wrote:

What wargames are you planning to play this fall (that would be in the next 3 months or so)?

I guess that depends on what I get, if anything, from the wargame math trade. B)

Either way I'm sure I'll see lots of World at War and C&C:Ancients. Both are a lot of fun and each time you pull them out it's easy to get in multiple games. I've also dug out my copy of Storm Over Arnhem as I'm determined to get it on the table. And as usual, Here I Stand will see a lot of action on CyberBoard.

A little in the future I would like to tackle some games dealing with sieges. So far the "to do" list for that project includes Ceaser: The Epic Battle of Alesia, WotR: Battles of the 3rd Age and Siege of Jerusalem. You could argue that Storm Over Arnhem and Turning Point Stalingrad are sieges, just so you have an excuse to play them some more.

-Will
Last edit: 21 Sep 2008 23:55 by Bulwyf.

More
21 Sep 2008 23:50 #11673 by Bulwyf
Gary Sax wrote:

I forgot one! I really want to play Up Front this fall as well. I've played the intro scenario and the system is so groundbreaking--and still is. I can't even imagine how mind blowing playing Up Front was in 1983. Even today it is more innovative than other recent card games. It seems to me Combat Commander is a safer less innovative version of Up Front.

I know what you mean. The first time I played UF I felt like I was in the presence of design genius. The fact MMP is still sitting on the reprint of this borders on being criminal.

-Will

More
21 Sep 2008 23:55 #11674 by Gary Sax
Totally. The design is still more innovative than almost anything I've played, and that includes some innovative recent stuff that I include in high regard.

More
22 Sep 2008 00:30 #11676 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Re:Fall Wargaming
Hey, there, wargame-y guys. I noted Brobdinads up there mention a couple of the AXIS & ALLIES games. How are those received, generically, amongst the cognoscenti? Are they considered official wargames at all? Are they actually good wargames? Are they just games you tolerate until that fucking n00b gets his head out of his ass and learns some area impulse game?

Curiouser...

More
22 Sep 2008 02:24 #11680 by Harkonnen13
Replied by Harkonnen13 on topic Re:Fall Wargaming
Bulwyf wrote:

I guess that depends on what I get, if anything, from the wargame math trade. B)

l/quote]

I heard that. I didn't factor the stuff from that trade in my future plans because I have no idea how that will turn out. I guess I can post about it tomorrow night.

jeb wrote:

Hey, there, wargame-y guys. I noted Brobdinads up there mention a couple of the AXIS & ALLIES games. How are those received, generically, amongst the cognoscenti? Are they considered official wargames at all? Are they actually good wargames? Are they just games you tolerate until that fucking n00b gets his head out of his ass and learns some area impulse game?

Curiouser...

It's a game you can play with more than 2 people. It's got plastic pieces. I know a couple different groups that play it semi-regularly. I avoid it.

More
22 Sep 2008 10:38 #11686 by Ken B.
Replied by Ken B. on topic Re:Fall Wargaming
I hope to get Hannibal played, and soon, now that I have a copy. I went ahead last week and punched the bits and sleeved the cards, so it should be any day now.

More
22 Sep 2008 12:01 #11688 by Dr. Mabuse
Replied by Dr. Mabuse on topic Re:Fall Wargaming
I need, I repeat, NEED to get Warriors of God on the table. I solo'd it a few times but I'd love to have some F2F games as well.

More
22 Sep 2008 20:49 #11696 by Bulwyf
Harkonnen13 wrote:

I heard that. I didn't factor the stuff from that trade in my future plans because I have no idea how that will turn out. I guess I can post about it tomorrow night.

Well I didn't do too bad. I traded off some stuff I'll never play for stuff that will hit the table.

Boots & Saddles -> Warrior Knights FFG
Downtown -> Warrior Knights GW (whoops, guess I can figure out which version is better now)
LNoE -> OCS Tunisia
The Longest Day -> Star Wars: The Queens Gambit (I really wanted this)
Guiliford -> TC: Alexander

I was hoping to get a copy of Manoooovre, but that didn't work out for me.

-Will

More
22 Sep 2008 22:00 #11700 by Gary Sax
I should try to trade away my copy of Downtown sometime...

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.213 seconds