October 09, 2023
2623 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2816 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× For those who like to push chits.

OCS start

More
23 Nov 2008 18:02 #14262 by Gary Sax
OCS start was created by Gary Sax
I've mulled getting into OCS at some point to see what the fuss is. I know what the people at CSW seem to think, but I was curious at what F:AT players think, either about the system and if it's worth it to track down, but especially what is the best intro to the game (besides "whatever situation you like best," that one bit me with the Musket and Pike system).

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Nov 2008 18:41 #14263 by Dogmatix
Replied by Dogmatix on topic Re:OCS start
I've got Hube's Pocket and it's heading to Ebay shortly. The system is just too huge and too slow for my taste. The rules are *extremely* well done but, in the end, it just kind of feels like "Campaign for North Africa-Lite" to me. It seems to be predicated on the old canard: "Amateurs talk tactics; professionals talk logistics." It's a great system that really highlights the importance of supply and maneuver/control but it's not a scale I like for gaming.

As far as the games go, I think at least half of the OCS titles are OOP and heading into "investment grade" territory. Case Blue and Guderian's Blitzkrieg II [now on the Pxxx reprint list] are truly enormous in scope. I think something like Sicily, Tunisia and Burma are a much more manageable size. Unfortunately, Sicily and DAK2 are generally acknowledged as 2 of the best but both currently command a friggin' fortune on the 'bay....

In the case of Hube's Pocket, since the system focuses so heavily on supply, the Russians are perpetually fucked; the Wehrmacht, conversely, is hamstrung by historically-accurate "no retreat" restrictions. The Sovs usually don't have the supplies to turn the pocket into a full encirclement, while the Germans aren't allowed to cut and run when, logically [if not historically], they really should.

If you want in, Burma might be the best place to start since it just hit the shelves again [so it's cheap-ish] and actually has a few scenarios that are measured in double-digit minutes instead of double-digit hours....My problem is that I have come to hate gaming in the PTO thanks to the hideous combos of special rules for IJA tactics, the wretched terrain [with THOSE special rules], and the vast combo of allied troops to deal with [Brit, including Indian and Ghurka; US; and Chinese].

In the end, I find myself drawn more to the TCS and SCS series games--the rulesets aren't nearly as polished (IMO) as OCS, but I just prefer the scale and simplicity of the other 2 series...

More
23 Nov 2008 19:16 - 23 Nov 2008 19:17 #14264 by Harkonnen13
Replied by Harkonnen13 on topic Re:OCS start
I have a couple friends that are into OCS and they seem to think Korea would be a good intro to the system. That game is OOP. I've never tried it and probably won't.
Last edit: 23 Nov 2008 19:17 by Harkonnen13.

More
23 Nov 2008 20:16 - 23 Nov 2008 20:18 #14266 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Re:OCS start
Yeah, I was thinking Sicily or Korea but as you said, big $$$.

Thanks for the mini system review Dogmatix. I think I'll wait on getting into it. I still haven't played enough Up Front (thanks!), that's what I need to make a priority in my gaming I think.

Incidentally, right now I'm bogged down in long games of TOC and Clash of Monarchs. If anyone wants a PBEM game of either one of those let me know. I probably have room now for another game or two on my PBEM schedule.
Last edit: 23 Nov 2008 20:18 by Gary Sax.

More
23 Nov 2008 22:42 #14268 by Dogmatix
Replied by Dogmatix on topic Re:OCS start
Gary Sax wrote:

Yeah, I was thinking Sicily or Korea but as you said, big $$$.

Thanks for the mini system review Dogmatix. I think I'll wait on getting into it. I still haven't played enough Up Front (thanks!), that's what I need to make a priority in my gaming I think.

Incidentally, right now I'm bogged down in long games of TOC and Clash of Monarchs. If anyone wants a PBEM game of either one of those let me know. I probably have room now for another game or two on my PBEM schedule.

I'm not quite to TOC stage yet....my local F2F opponent and I are just starting into Paths of Glory. After that, then TOC....However, if you ever want to play some live Up Front via VASSAL, let me know . I just played my first game [against UF-old hand Paul "Goldenboat" O'Connor] and the game now finally makes sense to me [this is just one of those rulebooks that never clicked while reading it], so I'm itching for more games. :)

More
24 Nov 2008 05:16 #14272 by Schweig!
Replied by Schweig! on topic Re:OCS start
As far as I'm concerned you shouldn't even bother trying OCS before you played Up Front.

Apart from that what I have heard from the OCS system is that although the rules are clean, the game play is often ridiculous, because obviously it is difficult to playtest a game that plays for days.

Please read what "zebulon1" on BGG has to say about the OCS games.

As an alternative, you should have a look at the "Winter Storm Series" by "Clash of Arms", e.g. EDELWEISS or the intro game PRELUDE TO DISASTER.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.191 seconds