October 09, 2023
2603 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2802 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× For those who like to push chits.

Warangel

More
13 Mar 2010 16:21 #57547 by Crimson Lotus
Warangel was created by Crimson Lotus
Has anyone here played Warangel? It's supposed to be a fairly easy fantasy wargame, which I enjoy occasionally. It has around 100 different armies to choose from which is nice to have those options.

But wanted a few more opinions if there were any...

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Mar 2010 18:19 #57549 by metalface13
Replied by metalface13 on topic Re:Warangel
I've been curious about this game for a long time too. Never heard much talk about it though.

More
14 Mar 2010 10:45 #57555 by SleightOfHand12
Replied by SleightOfHand12 on topic Re:Warangel
Tom Vasel likes it.

More
14 Mar 2010 16:05 #57576 by Dogmatix
Replied by Dogmatix on topic Re:Warangel
SleightOfHand12 wrote:

Tom Vasel likes it.

I'm curious about it too. I've thought about ordering a few armies to check it out, but I've been loathe to do so as I just know that, if I like it even a little, I'll start buying new wood-block armies until I've invested more than I spent on my first @43#@$ car....

More
15 Mar 2010 01:42 #57603 by Cranberries
Replied by Cranberries on topic Re:Warangel
Occasionally I'll see sets of Wizard Kings with lots of armies and maps cropping up in math trades. That might be a safer and cheaper bet than Warangel.

More
15 Mar 2010 17:10 #57674 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Re:Warangel
Yeah, I've always been interested in this...at least for about 10 years. But every time I've thought about ordering it, it's not available or it's outrageously expensive.

I'd like to hear about some of their other games too- PEACE BOWL, that wrestling one they did...their stuff looks like it could be fun, but who knows.

More
15 Mar 2010 21:32 #57693 by Dogmatix
Replied by Dogmatix on topic Re:Warangel
Michael Barnes wrote:

Yeah, I've always been interested in this...at least for about 10 years. But every time I've thought about ordering it, it's not available or it's outrageously expensive.

I'd like to hear about some of their other games too- PEACE BOWL, that wrestling one they did...their stuff looks like it could be fun, but who knows.

A friend found a copy of Peace Bowl at a local thrift store. As soon as I can get over to pick it up, I'll try to talk him into playing a round.

More
16 Mar 2010 05:33 #57708 by gschmidl
Replied by gschmidl on topic Re:Warangel
It's a great little game. The similarities to Wizard Kings, which is much, much more complicated, are superficial at best.

Both sides choose an army and a map and secretly place their strongholds and armies on the maps. Those strongholds are worth between 1 and 3 points each for a total of 10. At the start of the turn one of the players holds (I think) 16 points, they win.

Each of the 80ish armies available in English works differently, and there's a specific map for each that allows for the best use of terrain -- but of course any race can be played on any map. Angelo has also done a few one-off "tie ins" like the Spartans and Persians with accompanying maps as a tribute to 300.

The game is not just about beating the crap out of each other, it's about capturing the other player's strongholds as quickly and efficiently as possible.

If I have one complaint, it's the "destiny shields" that come with the game: cardboard squares you need to "flip" in order to determine how many hits you get. I've replaced them with the Heroscape dice that are half symbols half empty.

"Create your Warangel", available from www.warangel.it , allows you to just pick whatever army/armies and map(s), and Angelo ships all over the world for the most reasonable rate the Italian post office allows.

More
16 Mar 2010 05:34 #57709 by gschmidl
Replied by gschmidl on topic Re:Warangel
Oh, and I'm sure if you ask, Angelo will send you the countersheets instead of the wooden block armies. I have all my races as counters only. €10 for 10 unmounted armies plus €1 per army sheet, if I remember correctly. Cuts down on shipping costs, too.

More
16 Mar 2010 22:34 #57756 by moofrank
Replied by moofrank on topic Re:Warangel
You could have asked...

I think I even have a copy of Warbeast around here somewhere as well.

I also have copies of Zargos II and Zargos Lords. These games clearly inspired Warangel.

Zargos II was published by Eurogames in their pre-Euro old school AH-style wargame period.
Zargos Lords is a classic fantasy wargame by the Italian wargame company International Team.

International Team did get some distribution in the US back in the 70's--probably through Gamescience. Their games are often slightly dubiously translated, but there are some rather amazing games---and at least one or two that were completely broken. Go stare at the list of published games--they were all over the map akin to Avalon Hill at their prime.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.353 seconds