October 09, 2023
2537 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2738 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about Eurogames here.

Euro Flavor of the Year 2008/9

More
18 Aug 2008 13:11 #10234 by jeb
We've seen THURN AND TAXIS come and go. PILLARS OF THE EARTH? Where are you now? TORRES anyone? Of course not--these games are favorites of yesteryear. As AGRICOLA ascends to the top of the charts, what will next year's flavor be?

My vote is: JAMAICA .

Look at that poor kid. I hope you don't like this game very much, because once your old enough to play it, it will have been LOOOOOONG forgotten. Here's an accolade from a GenCon attendee:

Jamaica might be the best-looking game I've ever seen. The level of quality on everything from the four full-color rulebooks (each printed in a different language) to the cards, counters and boards is extremely high. All games have artwork; Jamaica's cards are works of art. The icing on this visual tour de force is the absolutely perfect interior box design which holds every single component firmly in place in a neat and well-organized manner. Along with being the best-looking game I saw this year, Jamaica has the best storage system possible.

So, visual quality and box engineering aside, is the game any good? Yup, it's great. It can be explained in a few minutes, it uses easy to see icons for every action, and it plays quickly. You only have to make a couple of decisions per round and every possible action, from loading goods onto your pirate ship to combat with other players, plays out quickly.

• Explained in a few minutes? Check.
  • Four-Color Rulebooks, awesome interior box, other crap that doesn't matter? Check.
  • Plays out quickly? Check.
  • Dice rolling? Check--Oh crap. Strike one. Well, we'll see.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Aug 2008 13:55 #10237 by Juniper
That's a reasonable prediction, but the thing that mitigates against it is that you can actually buy Jamaica. "It" games of the recent past, like AGRICOLA, CAYLUS, PILLARS OF THE EARTH, et al, became BGG favorites during the months-long wait for an English-language release.

More
18 Aug 2008 17:38 #10250 by TedTorgerson

All games have artwork; Jamaica's cards are works of art.

Tough call. It's wonderfully brown, but it doesn't have penguins.

More
18 Aug 2008 19:55 #10255 by Schweig!
What? I already played that half a year ago.

The game might however replace TTR. The game is as complex as a kids game, the winner is determined mostly through luck and there is only really on strategy (saving the double-movement card for a high die roll). To quote Barnes: "If this game [Jamaica] was published in the 1980s, nobody would be playing it today anymore."

Nevertheless Jamaica has one problem which would kill its hype: Roll&Move. Oh, and combat.

More
18 Aug 2008 22:18 #10262 by daveroswell
Dominion may be the next "hit Euro".

1) Cards are big in Euros right now.

2) The Rio Grande machine.

3) It actually seems good.

More
18 Aug 2008 23:26 #10265 by vialiy
Nah, the next Big Thang is Le Havre, the next design by Uwe Rosenberg some Elite Few are already saying it'll be better than Agricola. It's rumored to have resources in the middle of the table that more than one player may take. I don't need brown cubes, but my opponent on the left might! Do I take them or not?!? MAGNIFICIENT STRATEGY!

More
19 Aug 2008 00:50 #10268 by jeb
Oh shit, that does sound like a contender. "Well, Charles, I simply had to take the brown cubes---Charles, please put the brandy snifter down--don't swirl it towards me so threateningly. If I didn't take them, Sydney would have--and we can't have that can we? Are there any more canapes?"

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.293 seconds