October 09, 2023
2593 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2787 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about Eurogames here.

TICKET TO RIDE Dice Game- I told you!

More
15 Sep 2008 09:51 #11314 by Michael Barnes
Over at BGN, there was a news item today that linked to TICKET TO RIDE's Facebook page. Yes, Facebook page. Anyway, there's pictures of the dice from a TICKET TO RIDE dice game. I knew it. I predicted this back when the card game was announced. Leave it to Days of Wonder and Alan Moon to keep pushin' that envelope!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Sep 2008 10:48 #11322 by mikoyan
So are we going to see the bitchfests about how they are milking the cow for as much as possible like the billions of Monopoly versions? Are we going to see Hello Kitty Ticket to Ride at some point? Maybe Hulk Ticket to the Ride.

More
15 Sep 2008 10:49 #11323 by Ken B.
I did finally play a dice version of a game I like, that's (incredibly enough) Monopoly Express. Great push your luck game with kids without any pretensious bullshit. Also gives you a bit more 'warning' in the form of having to accumulate three 'Go to Jail' dice before you crap out and get no money for the turn.

It's $5 at Target on clearance.

As for this, it will get a pass from gamers because of its TtR theme, even though those same people piss on games that use dice heavily. I've skipped the TtR card game because it looks like it took the great thing from the board game--the spatial relationships--and removed it entirely.

I really wish I knew how Eurogames could take dice and make them so boring. Kingsburg, Court the King, Alhambra the Dice Game, Settlers Dice Game, now this.

More
15 Sep 2008 12:35 #11328 by TheDukester
Meh ... not sure I see where the criticism is justified. FFG, one of our favorite companies here, pretty much has a business model predicated on the relentless and continual release of expansions, yet they seem to get a free pass.

Not that I have a dog in this particular fight either way. I like TtR okay enough to play the PC version every so often, but I won't be lining up to buy an overpriced set of dice.

More
15 Sep 2008 12:54 #11330 by Ken B.
TheDukester wrote:

Meh ... not sure I see where the criticism is justified. FFG, one of our favorite companies here, pretty much has a business model predicated on the relentless and continual release of expansions, yet they seem to get a free pass.

Not that I have a dog in this particular fight either way. I like TtR okay enough to play the PC version every so often, but I won't be lining up to buy an overpriced set of dice.

This isn't an expansion. TtR: Dices is supposed to be a *WHOLE NEW GAME*. But making an existing franchise into a dice game is now laziness personified.

FFG has only done something similar once--released World of Warcraft: The Adventure Game. Took an existing game and re-spun it. However, instead of just saying, "toss some dice, make some sets" WoW: TAG has its own system that is completely different than the big box game and doesn't lift a bullshit, already used system.

This is one of those things a designer comes up with while taking a shit. "Hmmm...*grunt*...oh yeah, dice game. We haven't done that yet."

More
15 Sep 2008 13:08 #11331 by TheDukester
Whatever. Semantics and splitting hairs ...

It's an expansion, just like it says right on the box.

Again, I'm not concerned at all about the game; it won't ever be on my radar. It just seems inconsistent to level this sort of criticism at some companies and not others. It seems very BGG-like, honestly, which is disappointing.

More
15 Sep 2008 13:13 #11332 by Ken B.
TheDukester wrote:

Whatever. Semantics and splitting hairs ...

It's an expansion, just like it says right on the box.

Again, I'm not concerned at all about the game; it won't ever be on my radar. It just seems inconsistent to level this sort of criticism at some companies and not others. It seems very BGG-like, honestly, which is disappointing.

You're actually correct; it is a full-blown expansion and CANNOT stand alone.

Believe me, if FFG ever releases "Descent: The Dice Game" where the exciting dungeon crawl is distilled down to rolling dice and making sets, I'll call seventeen kinds of bullshit on that.

Really, it's made worse because DoW has this image right now of being a company that no longer takes risks and is completely cashing in on franchises. This sort of thing doesn't help that perception. If this was the first time they were milkin' the cow dry, I don't think anyone would even bat an eye. But only a few months after Ticket to Ride: The Card Game? Really?

More
15 Sep 2008 14:26 #11336 by Michael Barnes
Wow, it turns out I was slightly wrong...this isn't an all-new T2R Dice game...it's a DICE EXPANSION for T2R! It replaces the cards with dice!

I don't know if that's better or worse...well, doesn't matter, I ain't buyin' it.

More
15 Sep 2008 14:42 #11337 by Gary Sax
This is a joke, right?

More
15 Sep 2008 14:57 - 15 Sep 2008 15:01 #11340 by Michael Barnes
Would that it were Gary Sax...would that it were.

Here's what $20 will get you:

5 custom Train dice
3 Tunnel dice
1 Ticket to Ride dice cup
15 Single Route Tokens
15 Double Route Tokens
a Rules booklet

8 dice, a cup, and 30 counters.
Last edit: 15 Sep 2008 15:01 by Michael Barnes.

More
15 Sep 2008 15:22 #11342 by southernman
No wonder they had to sell Battlelore :woohoo: ..... no self-respecting Battlelore fan would ever by any DoW product after this annoucement :P .

SHIT - does that then mean I can't buy any more M'44 expansions :angry: .

More
15 Sep 2008 15:45 - 15 Sep 2008 15:47 #11346 by Sagrilarus
mikoyan wrote:

So are we going to see the bitchfests about how they are milking the cow for as much as possible like the billions of Monopoly versions? Are we going to see Hello Kitty Ticket to Ride at some point? Maybe Hulk Ticket to the Ride.

Hulk Ticket to Ride . . . cool. Play-Doh trains, big hammer . . . my boys would play THAT!

Actually there's a pretty solid dose of whining going on about it right now on BGG. Unlike here, there are a few staunch defenders.

Sag.
Last edit: 15 Sep 2008 15:47 by Sagrilarus.

More
15 Sep 2008 17:40 #11351 by jeb
I went looking for Barnes' original post--I believe I even called out November '08 for release! Where is that thing?

More
15 Sep 2008 19:51 #11360 by Mr Skeletor
If it's an expansion I don't see the problem with it.

They are Ameritrashing T2R up. They know where the $$$ is Spiel de poop be damned.

Every game is made better with dice. Stop being such cocksuckers.

More
15 Sep 2008 22:28 - 15 Sep 2008 22:30 #11370 by Dogmatix
Southernman wrote:

No wonder they had to sell Battlelore :woohoo: ..... no self-respecting Battlelore fan would ever by any DoW product after this annoucement :P .

SHIT - does that then mean I can't buy any more M'44 expansions :angry: .

Once you pick up Med Front, I can't really see any more M'44 expansions possible. What do they have left to cover in that war? As long as they have people silly enough to pay $8/scenario for those dopey battlepacks, I doubt a scenario book [for $25ish] will *ever* be forthcoming.

As for the TTR thing--I'm with Skelly on this one. If it was TTR: The Dice Game, ok, it's shite; but trashing up TTR? That sounds like fun to me. Dice are designed to make people swear, cheer, or groan....TTR could use a healthy dose of all 3...

And Sag? Pick up the Godzilla game Milton Bradley put out a while ago. You get a big godzilla foot [which opens up to double as the mold for the squishable things] and playdoh items plus enough buildings to play a game of Hotels. It's utterly stupid fun....
Last edit: 15 Sep 2008 22:30 by Dogmatix.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.171 seconds