October 09, 2023
2526 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2729 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about Eurogames here.

Kosmos 2-Player Series

More
14 Oct 2008 23:24 - 14 Oct 2008 23:25 #12926 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic Re:Kosmos 2-Player Series
I've never thought "hey, that was fun" after playing any Kosmos 2 player game. Most of the time I've thought, "Well, that's an hour of my life I'll never get back."

Instead of getting three crappy "wife" games, why not get one good one, like Liebe & Intrige , or Buffy .
Last edit: 14 Oct 2008 23:25 by ubarose.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Oct 2008 00:48 #12928 by Mr Skeletor
metalface13 wrote:

So what does the FFG version of LOTR: Confrontation add?

It's called "delux".
Doubles the number of characters in the game for each side. This gives you tons of more ways to play however, as you can play using original characters, 'new' (variant) characters or a combination of the 2. I like to randomly select which characters are in and out.
Also comes with 4 more power cards.

More
15 Oct 2008 01:14 #12930 by metalface13
Who are the new characters?

More
15 Oct 2008 04:06 #12932 by Dogmatix
Replied by Dogmatix on topic Re:Kosmos 2-Player Series
Mr Skeletor wrote:

I don't mind odins ravens.

LOTR the conrontation is 7 kinds of awesome, and 10 kinds of awseome if you are playing the FFG version.

Blue Moon kicks the shit out of the rest of the line (apart from confrontation), as long as your wife isn't offended by cartoon titties.

Jambo is also really good too.

Didn't care for Jambo but can't really say why--just didn't really do it for me. Battle Line was, for us, an exercise in pure Knizia-algebra with a dash of memory/card counting thrown in on top; my wife took one look at the rules and pitched it into my trade pile without a second thought--"this one is designed for card counters and math freaks; get it outta here, it reminds me of work."

I/we think Blue Moon, LOTR: Confrontation, and Babel are the best of the lot [and we're also getting into Hellas, but I'm not sure how well it will survive more than a dozen plays--I like abstracts but the wife is lukewarm on them], but the FFG edition of Confrontation is certainly the way to go [unless space is part of your concern as the FFG box is 3x the size of those little Kosmos jobs].

As to Uba's comment, we like Buffy but find it pretty dull with just 2; we'll have to give L&I a try, but I suspect it's the same story [though hardly the same game]....

More
04 Feb 2009 21:38 #20039 by maka
Replied by maka on topic Re:Kosmos 2-Player Series
What about Starship catan? anyone played it? seems like a light sci-fi adventure kind of game... how thematic is it really?

Also, The Perry Rhodan game released last year (however that's written...) is part of the kosmos 2 player line. It's supposed to be based on Merchant of Venus but I'm not sure how it actually plays... I'm in no hurry to get it because if I want to play a game like MoV I think I'd rather just play MoV...

More
04 Feb 2009 22:11 #20043 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Re:Kosmos 2-Player Series
I like HELLAS. Quick easy lunch game.

You would benefit by going to Target for a $4 RAGE deck and then using it to play SHOTTENTOTTEN, BATTLELINE, EN GARDE, and so on. It's 6 suits of 16 cards with a bunch of extras. I've never actually played RAGE, I just use the cards to play other stuff.

PANDEMIC is short and fun.

I've heard good thing about STARSHIP CATAN, BABEL, and JAMBO. I've played SETTLERS OF CATAN: THE CARD GAME and it's really good. I want to try ROLL THROUGH THE AGES and RISK EXPRESS too.

More
04 Feb 2009 23:48 #20056 by metalface13
maka wrote:

What about Starship catan? anyone played it? seems like a light sci-fi adventure kind of game... how thematic is it really?

Also, The Perry Rhodan game released last year (however that's written...) is part of the kosmos 2 player line. It's supposed to be based on Merchant of Venus but I'm not sure how it actually plays... I'm in no hurry to get it because if I want to play a game like MoV I think I'd rather just play MoV...

I've heard good things from my brother on starship catan.

More
05 Feb 2009 01:04 #20060 by BloodyJack
Well I can definitely not recommend one of them:

Never, ever play DruidenWalzer... Pure ass.

Vague overly complex rules and dry gameplay... ugh.

More
05 Feb 2009 01:23 #20062 by Dogmatix
jeb wrote:

I like HELLAS. Quick easy lunch game.

You would benefit by going to Target for a $4 RAGE deck and then using it to play SHOTTENTOTTEN, BATTLELINE, EN GARDE, and so on. It's 6 suits of 16 cards with a bunch of extras. I've never actually played RAGE, I just use the cards to play other stuff.

PANDEMIC is short and fun.

I've heard good thing about STARSHIP CATAN, BABEL, and JAMBO. I've played SETTLERS OF CATAN: THE CARD GAME and it's really good. I want to try ROLL THROUGH THE AGES and RISK EXPRESS too.

No kidding on the other uses for a Rage deck? I find 'em in thrift stores all the time but pass because the game looked kind of meh...I'll start snatching them up for this kind of stuff...

I can recommend Starship Catan as both fun and semi-to-non-gamer-wife-friendly. We have had fun with it.

Pandemic is a *huge* hit with my wife; I like it, but I see it very much as a card counting game, which I'm pretty good at. My wife isn't, so she loves figuring out the puzzle of what the best moves are or could be.

We keep trying to get Babel [which I got from Barnes in a trade a while back] to the table but the game is cursed. Every time we sit down, something goes awry with work or somesuch and it gets aborted.

Jeb: Is Catan Card Game 2-player friendly? I never paid much attention to it...

More
05 Feb 2009 01:48 #20063 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Re:Kosmos 2-Player Series
Dogmatix wrote:

No kidding on the other uses for a Rage deck? I find 'em in thrift stores all the time but pass because the game looked kind of meh...I'll start snatching them up for this kind of stuff...

There's a whole Geeklist on games that can be played with a RAGE deck . Just print the rules from the Files section and you're off. I printed a little EN GARDE "travel board" someone made, tossed some Heroscape Samurais on there and played with the wife. Good times.

Dogmatix wrote:

It's 2-player -only-.

More
05 Feb 2009 03:52 #20068 by maka
Replied by maka on topic Re:Kosmos 2-Player Series
Reading about the Rage deck reminded me: Anyone have played with the Decktet? It's a cool p'n'p card game system with 6 suits where each number card belongs to two suits (so it has 36 cards). There are some cool games using its special traits in different manners...

More
05 Feb 2009 04:04 #20069 by Dogmatix
jeb wrote:
Dogmatix wrote:

It's 2-player -only-.[/quote]

well, yea, Ok, that's probably 2-player friendly then. [he says as he looks around for an escape route before looking like a complete fucking dope....GAH! Too late. Maybe if I slip this tanktop on someone will mistake me for Steve Avery...]

More
05 Feb 2009 08:15 #20099 by Spinrad
Replied by Spinrad on topic Re:Kosmos 2-Player Series
For a long moment I thought we were talking about the werewolf Rage card game being used to play En Garde. Lots of head scratching ensued. That will teach me to read F:AT before coffee.

More
05 Feb 2009 15:38 #20191 by Columbob
Replied by Columbob on topic Re:Kosmos 2-Player Series
maka wrote:

It's not bad at all. It has a bit of the same thing going as in the Catan card game with the resource dials, except instead of building a principality you upgrade your ship with weapons, engines, storage, stuff like that. Then you go and explore star systems, you might end up having to fight off pirates or you might find a really cool planet.

That's what I remember from my 1 play over a year ago, but I want to play it again (one of my buddies has it).

I think that Perry Rhodan game is only German so far. Even if it's the coolest 2-player game ever, until it gets a proper English or French language version, I'll happily pass, as I've got plenty of other games to play.

More
05 Feb 2009 16:16 #20197 by ChristopherMD
Starship Catan I found to be kind of boring overall, but I did like the concept.

LotR: Confrontation is definitely the best in this series.

Jambo I like as its got the most depth of any of the card-based ones.

Hellas would be fine if the cards had better descriptions of when and how they are played.

Lost Cities is okay, it definitely shows more strategy the more times you play it.

Battle Line I only played a couple times and the Tactics cards are better left out, imo.

Caesar & Cleopatra flat out sucks and is about as fun as playing War.

Balloon Cup has obvious choices from turn 1 until it ends a few turns after the winner is determined.

Odin's Ravens I liked when I first played it, but completely lost interest on further plays.

Ingenious I've not played the two-player Kosmos version, but I do like the full game with 2.

Kahuna I only played once and thought it was okay.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.160 seconds