October 09, 2023
2532 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2729 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about Eurogames here.

Princes of Florence, St. Petersburg Opinions

More
22 Jan 2009 12:42 #17906 by Nick Dalton
I'm working through a game purge at the moment to free up space. I have several games on the chopping block, but I'm trying to decide on two I've owned for a bit but have never played. I'm intrigued by the puzzle building stuff in Princes and a buddy of mine recommends St. Petersburg highly, but I just can't bring myself to get either them to the table. Every time I sit down and try to learn the rules to Princes, my eyes glaze over. St. Petersburg simply looks ugly.

My favorite Euro is probably Vinci (though I still haven't played Tigris & Euphrates, which I'm assuming I will like). I love Settlers, LotR: Confrontation, Jambo, and a few others. I'm lukewarm on Puerto Rico (actually prefer official 2-player version) and Traders of Genoa. I hate Arkadia and almost every heavy Euro I've played from the last 2 years.

Given all that, should I at least give those two a try? Anyone here who claims either of them as their favorite Euros? I hate getting rid of games before at least trying them, but I used to have some bad purchasing habits.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Jan 2009 12:52 #17908 by southernman
One's dry and boring, and the other is feeble and boring after a few plays .... dump both asap on TOS, plenty of TOSers who like them - take their money.

More
22 Jan 2009 13:00 #17911 by hancock.tom
They have a similar flaw, there isn't any interaction in either of them.

Princes has an auction for certain pieces that you work into your puzzle, but other than that it is effectively a solitaire game. If you like "puzzle" games with little interaction, Princes is a really good model of that genre, but for me, those games aren't fun more than once a year or so.

St. Pete's only interaction is buying stuff before other people, other than that it is a solitaire economic VP engine game. If you have played Through the Ages, its like that with all the good stuff stripped out.

More
22 Jan 2009 14:13 #17925 by Nick Dalton
Southernman wrote:

One's dry and boring, and the other is feeble and boring after a few plays .... dump both asap on TOS, plenty of TOSers who like them - take their money.

Which is which? B)

Thanks for the input fellas. I think I'm going to let these two go.

More
22 Jan 2009 14:38 #17929 by Juniper
Saint Petersburg is a bad game. It has only one viable strategy. My understanding is that there is now an expansion that seeks to fix the game, but I haven't bothered with it, because my copy of the base game is long gone.

Princes of Florence is OK. I think there's more interaction in it than Tom claims, but it's still a game in which the players each get their own little board to stare at so that they don't have to make eye contact. If you're lukewarm on Puerto Rico and Traders of Genoa, then you'll probably be lukewarm on this one, too.

More
22 Jan 2009 14:57 #17941 by Schweig!
Black Barney is looking for a copy of PRINCES OF FLORENCE, so you could sell him yours.

More
22 Jan 2009 15:01 #17942 by Nick Dalton
Thanks Schweig. I sent him a message.

More
22 Jan 2009 15:21 #17947 by Ken B.
Nick Warcholak wrote:

Thanks Schweig. I sent him a message.

Patrick (Black Barney) is a good friend of mine. Cut him a deal and he will be all over that.

More
30 Jan 2009 15:35 #19199 by hancock.tom
Traders of Genoa has about 100x the interaction as princes of florence. Every turn in Traders, you are negotiating and bidding against each other to get the 1st player to go where you want him to. I've only played traders once, am I remembering it wrong?

More
30 Jan 2009 16:13 - 30 Jan 2009 16:14 #19223 by ChristopherMD
hancock.tom wrote:

Traders of Genoa has about 100x the interaction as princes of florence. Every turn in Traders, you are negotiating and bidding against each other to get the 1st player to go where you want him to. I've only played traders once, am I remembering it wrong?

I've never played Princes, but I've played Traders once and St Petersburg a few times. Your comment could easily be about SP instead of PoF and still be true.

Playing St Petersburg when it came out was when I realized I didn't like the same games my old group did anymore. Previously we all played stuff like RoboRally and Catan. Now they wanted to play the lastest math exercises and I wanted to have fun.
Last edit: 30 Jan 2009 16:14 by ChristopherMD.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.179 seconds