October 09, 2023
2524 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2725 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about Eurogames here.

Struggle of Empires

More
30 Jan 2009 15:39 #19201 by hancock.tom
Played this for the first time last night. There is a lot of stuff in this game I like, but a lot of it could have been done differently and come out a lot better. The alliance system was really cool, and reminded me a little bit of Cosmic Encounter, only more rigid, which I found to be very very cool. The risk-like combat, power tiles, area majority and economic game underneath were bland, but work as an interesting way to get you to the meat of the game, which is a diplomacy like system of alliances.

I was lukewarm on the game as a package, but it definitely had a couple of neat things going for it. Sort of a cross between Imperial and Diplomacy with a heavy dose of typical martin wallace ass thrown in. Why does this guy think every game needs a mechanic for you to go into debt, no matter what it is?

Anybody else played it? Thoughts?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Jan 2009 15:42 #19202 by Deleted User 1
How are slaves handled in this game? Wasn't there some kind of controversy over this issue?

More
30 Jan 2009 15:48 #19206 by hancock.tom
Replied by hancock.tom on topic Re:Struggle of Empires
I didn't find any controversy. They exist in several forms from what I can remember. I only played once and didn't have any control markers or armies in the colonies, so I didn't use them.

There are plantation markers in the colonies. Stick a navy in africa, and you can turn the plantation markers into a control marker for yourself.

There is a slave revolt chit you can choose. This lets you make a backhanded attack using slaves. It is cool because you can use it to attack your allies, which normally isn't allowed. Your armies can't combine with the slaves.

There is also a slave trade money chit I think? That one just gives you cash for every control marker you have in a certain area, maybe africa? I was playing Prussia, and concentrated on controlling the mainland.

More
30 Jan 2009 16:03 #19218 by Michael Barnes
I think this is a really good game, Wallace's best overall. The production is trash (it's Warfrog, all right) but there's some cool mechanics and plenty enough aggro to go around. The alliance thing was dismissed by some as gamey, but it really kind of works out in that you can diplomatically outmanuever (and outspend) folks you don't want to fight with. It's one of the best Eurogames out there, I really would like to play it more.

CONQUEST OF THE EMPIRE 2nd edition was basically SoE with Eagle Games production and a Roman theme. But it just didn't work as well for some reason.

More
30 Jan 2009 17:16 #19231 by hancock.tom
Replied by hancock.tom on topic Re:Struggle of Empires
I really liked the alliance thing but thought the rest of the game could have used some work. I guess I'm the minority?

More
30 Jan 2009 17:47 #19235 by Michael Barnes
I dunno, I think it all works out pretty good...I've played with some really aggressive, mean spirited players and it can be a pretty brutal game.

I know what you mean about it needing work though...it has that classic Martin Wallace "almost there" feeling throughout. It does kind of lack the polish it needs to really be one of the great ones.

Gosh, it's been like four years since we broke this out...it needs to get played again soon.

More
30 Jan 2009 18:42 #19244 by KingPut
Replied by KingPut on topic Re:Struggle of Empires
Michael Barnes wrote:

CONQUEST OF THE EMPIRE 2nd edition was basically SoE with Eagle Games production and a Roman theme. But it just didn't work as well for some reason.

I've played both games. Conquest of Empire is cool because of the bits but I think Struggle of Empires works better because it's easier to move armies around. Also, in Conquest of Empire there is a huge number of points in Rome so that ends up being a key spot vs. Struggle of Empires were the areas are more balanced. Both games can get pretty cut throat. Either way I'm itching to play either game. I haven't played either game in about 2 years.

More
30 Jan 2009 18:53 #19246 by Dogmatix
Replied by Dogmatix on topic Re:Struggle of Empires
KingPut wrote:

Michael Barnes wrote:

I've played both games. Conquest of Empire is cool because of the bits but I think Struggle of Empires works better because it's easier to move armies around. Also, in Conquest of Empire there is a huge number of points in Rome so that ends up being a key spot vs. Struggle of Empires were the areas are more balanced. Both games can get pretty cut throat. Either way I'm itching to play either game. I haven't played either game in about 2 years.

Pete...organize something that's closer to DC than Philly and I'll be there. Own 'em both and haven't had a snowball's chance in hell to play either...

More
30 Jan 2009 18:56 #19249 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic Re:Struggle of Empires
KingPut wrote:

Michael Barnes wrote:

I love Struggle of Empires. I like being Queen Victoria, and owning India, and saying "We are not amused." I'll bring it in May. Do you thing we can get a group of people who are sober enough to play it?

More
30 Jan 2009 21:21 #19267 by KingPut
Replied by KingPut on topic Re:Struggle of Empires
Cool it looks like we'll play some Struggle of Empires May 1st or 2nd at Game Days in Maryland. I'm sure well be able to get IgannaDitty, Big Bien, Malloc or Malloc's brother Bobbytweeks will join us.

More
02 Feb 2009 10:53 #19436 by grimnir
Replied by grimnir on topic Re:Struggle of Empires
SoE is one of my favorites. I love the alliances system and find it really adds a lot to a multiplayer conflict game (resulting in less "dogpile on the leader" moves).

It's also my favorite Wallace game. The limited number of actions on your go make things very interesting and tough and limit how much you can do without telegraphing your intentions to everyone.

The rules are rather muddled though. I've created a rules notes file on TOS with a player aid attached that I think helps things out greatly.

If I can manage to attend Trashfest on May 1st I can bring this along and teach it.

Chad

More
02 Feb 2009 11:02 #19437 by Chapel
Replied by Chapel on topic Re:Struggle of Empires
Michael Barnes wrote:

I think this is a really good game, Wallace's best overall. The production is trash (it's Warfrog, all right) but there's some cool mechanics and plenty enough aggro to go around. The alliance thing was dismissed by some as gamey, but it really kind of works out in that you can diplomatically outmanuever (and outspend) folks you don't want to fight with. It's one of the best Eurogames out there, I really would like to play it more.

The biggest issue with Conquest is that all the action kind of "smashed" up to the center of the board, making confrontation one big "Cold War"(e.g. Player A won't attack player B, because it'll weaken them both so that play C can mop up on both).

And the actions were random draws instead of a static selection.

But besides those minor quibbles, I really enjoyed C.o.t.E with the new ruleset.

More
02 Feb 2009 13:02 #19467 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic Re:Struggle of Empires
grimnir wrote:

It's also my favorite Wallace game. The limited number of actions on your go make things very interesting and tough and limit how much you can do without telegraphing your intentions to everyone.

I like the limited number of actions, because it makes the game less overwhelming to me than other war and conquest type games. I understand, however, where Tom is coming from. As a wargamer, I'm sure SoE seems very simplistic and bland. Malloc and Megafauna Dan keep telling me that they are going to convert me into a wargamer, but I find it unlikely. There are too many possible choices. I get AP from hell and my head asplode.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.136 seconds