October 09, 2023
2609 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2808 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about Eurogames here.

The Princes of Catan

More
11 Feb 2010 12:51 #55331 by san il defanso
Not sure if anyone here is following this story, but Kosmos and Mayfair are releasing a revised version of the Catan Card Game called "The Princes of Catan." Klaus Teuber has written three articles (so far) on the history of the original game and the re-development of the new game.

First article (on designing the original game)
Second article (on designing the expansion packs)
Third article (on re-developing the game)

Some initial thoughts...
- Shortening the game sounds like a good idea. I love the original Catan card game, but the length is sometimes a little prohibitive.

- It seems like the "theme decks" are really well-integrated. I've never played the original expansions, but this sounds promising.

- An introductory version of the game is nice for new players, since the base game has a lot more options than it's board game counterpart.

Overall, I'm pretty excited about this. Some may think its a cash grab, but I do like that its a concerted effort to make the card game relevant. It seems like it gets lost in the shuffle (har har) a lot, and if a little tweaking puts it back in the public eye, I'm all for it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Feb 2010 13:42 #55342 by ChristopherMD
I don't like the name.

More
11 Feb 2010 13:43 #55343 by Juniper
Replied by Juniper on topic Re:The Princes of Catan
Thanks for posting this.

More
11 Feb 2010 13:58 #55344 by Michael Barnes
I love the CATAN card game, but I didn't like it all when I first got it. It sat in a cabinet unplayed for years until I sort of rediscovered it and started playing with the expansions. So yeah, I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with a revision because it definitely could use some cleanup. There have been games of the card game that I've played that I thought were better than the full board game.

More
11 Feb 2010 14:02 #55346 by san il defanso
Michael Barnes wrote:

I love the CATAN card game, but I didn't like it all when I first got it. It sat in a cabinet unplayed for years until I sort of rediscovered it and started playing with the expansions. So yeah, I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with a revision because it definitely could use some cleanup. There have been games of the card game that I've played that I thought were better than the full board game.

This is totally how I feel about it. I was planning on getting the expansions as well, but I think I'm going to hold off and just get the remade version.

The game really takes the original boardgame and replaces all of the trading with nasty card play. So it still has interaction, but just a different kind. It is actually more like Cities and Knights than basic Settlers.

And Mad Dog, I think the name is dumb too, but whatever.

More
11 Feb 2010 15:29 #55371 by Juniper
Replied by Juniper on topic Re:The Princes of Catan
Has anyone here played the "Tournament Game" with deck-building? Is the deck-building part of the game fun or interesting? I've never played with the expansion cards.

More
11 Feb 2010 20:28 #55399 by Mr MOTO
Replied by Mr MOTO on topic Re:The Princes of Catan
Mad Dog wrote:

I don't like the name.

They are going to change it to 'The artists, formerly known as princes of Catan'

More
11 Feb 2010 21:34 #55405 by metalface13
Replied by metalface13 on topic Re:The Princes of Catan
Where are the princesses of Catan?

More
12 Feb 2010 00:10 #55413 by Dogmatix
Replied by Dogmatix on topic Re:The Princes of Catan
metalface13 wrote:

Where are the princesses of Catan?

Dirty secret revealed for the first time: Catan is actually where the Smurfs come from. As such, there's no hope of "princesses" as it would require more than one female of the species.

It was Jeb's posts here that turned me on to the Catan Card Game, for which I'm pretty grateful as I've had fun with it. The reboot looks pretty interesting....

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.621 seconds