October 09, 2023
2518 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2717 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about Eurogames here.

Black Gold - FFG Reprint of Giganten

More
22 Feb 2011 07:05 #88645 by stormseeker75
Here's the news: http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=1996

Looks like they've made it a 5-player game which is awesome.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Feb 2011 07:16 #88646 by Ska_baron
Is this definitely a reprint or just similar theme?

More
22 Feb 2011 07:33 #88647 by moofrank
Looks like Giganten. I'm not sure why anyone bothered.

More
22 Feb 2011 07:52 #88649 by southernman
moofrank wrote:

I used to like Giganten until after a few plays it got a bit samey and my interest went - great pieces though :-)
Needs something extra added to the game for it to have enough zing for most people around here.

More
22 Feb 2011 09:33 #88655 by Bullwinkle
There Will Be Boredom

More
22 Feb 2011 09:39 #88656 by Michael Barnes
I'm more interested in this than most of the shit they've been announcing and releasing lately. Look, at least it's not anything to do with Terrinoth and you get a complete game in the box. That being said, once again...where the fuck is Dune, a Runewars expansion, Reigns of Power...I guess Giganten takes priority, huh?

Giganten is one of those games that is _almost_ good but it's lacking enough to make it not worth more than a couple of plays, as Tom suggested. I really like the oil theme and I like the layers of the game (prospecting, drilling, transporting, selling), but it just isn't enough.

Believe it or not, this is a case where FFG's "if ain't broke, fuck it up" reprint policy could actually be beneficial. For one thing, the addition of a fifth player was ALWAYS something this game needed to increase the friction, especially in the auctions. Some event cards or something would be good too. That being said, I hope they don't repeat their mistakes with Dungeonquest and preserve the original game AS PUBLISHED so those who did like it that way aren't forced into the FFG revisions.

I do really like the change in setting, it's obvious they're going for more a There Will Be Blood-era tone and I like that a whole, whole lot.

I'll actually probably buy this. The Hellfire Club boys will probably dig this a lot and we can rip TWBB jokes on it all night. "Ladies and gentlemen, I'm an oil man".

More
22 Feb 2011 09:41 #88657 by Chapel
moofrank wrote:

No doubt. I've seen copies of Giganten languish on game shelves for many years now. I didn't think there was a need for a reprint.

More
22 Feb 2011 10:01 #88659 by Michael Barnes
It's likely part of FFG's plan to try to buy the rights for all hobby games just so they can keep anyone else from them. See: Battlelore.

It's kind of weird thinking about it this way, but most of FFG's fanbase won't know about Giganten in its previous form. The people who got into FFG through AH, Descent, or whatever are less likely to have been around when everybody was "meh-ing" Giganten. For most FFG fans, this will appear as an all-new FFG game. They can release a ho-hum game like this and get sales just because of their logo being on it.

More
22 Feb 2011 11:24 #88670 by Juniper
Black Gold?!? They should have called it GIANT GUSHER.

More
22 Feb 2011 11:24 #88671 by moofrank
Actually, Giganten has this weird and loved reputation. It was pretty, and not awful. But they only finished so many copies and only in German. And so it has been fairly hard to find. I have seen people oohing and aahing over copies.

...except that they had several thousand sets of PIECES and boards and things for the game. Enough that the salvage operation that bought the remnants sponsored TWO game competitions to come up with a new game for the pieces. Because obviously the original game didn't sell them.

That's a game I'm just absolutely dying to own....yippee.

More
22 Feb 2011 20:49 #88771 by Juniper
FFG needs to announce an expansion with a plastic milkshake token.

"I DRINK IT UP!!!"

More
23 Feb 2011 09:13 #88805 by tcho-tcho
The artwork and bits look quite Days of Wonder-ish. DoW failed to establish themselves in FFG territory (BattleLore), we'll see how it goes the other way around.

As far as I can remember, this will be the first unequivocal "euro" from FFG (big box, not a card game, not fantasy or sci-fi).

More
23 Feb 2011 09:56 #88815 by SuperflyPete
Is it just me, or does it look like the "Dust Games" artists are now on staff at FFG? That box art looks like the same guy as Adventurers or Cadwallion. Maybe I'm seeing things.

More
23 Feb 2011 11:59 #88825 by mjl1783

The artwork and bits look quite Days of Wonder-ish. DoW failed to establish themselves in FFG territory (BattleLore), we'll see how it goes the other way around.

FFG established themselves in that territory long ago with Citadels, Through the Desert, Kingdoms, Condottiere, Ingenious, and I can keep going, but you get the idea.

Hell, they've probably got as many Knizia games in their catalog as Rio Grande do.

As far as I can remember, this will be the first unequivocal "euro" from FFG (big box, not a card game, not fantasy or sci-fi).

I would say Tribune and Constantinopolis satisfy those conditions. I'm counting Kingsburg too. Fantasy or no, if the words "impress the king" appear anywhere near a game, it's a Euro.

More
23 Feb 2011 13:00 - 23 Feb 2011 13:01 #88828 by tcho-tcho
mjl1783 wrote:

FFG established themselves in that territory long ago with Citadels, Through the Desert, Kingdoms, Condottiere, Ingenious, and I can keep going, but you get the idea.

Hell, they've probably got as many Knizia games in their catalog as Rio Grande do.

I mean specifically DoW territory: some complexity, some theme, cute bits. I honestly can't imagine them publishing a Knizia.

mjl1783 wrote:

I would say Tribune and Constantinopolis satisfy those conditions. I'm counting Kingsburg too. Fantasy or no, if the words "impress the king" appear anywhere near a game, it's a Euro.

Granted.

In any case, I guess they haven't really *established* themselves in the family market – they lack a truly successful game in comparison to other companies (maybe Kingsburg?). And it doesn't seem that Black Gold will change that.
Last edit: 23 Feb 2011 13:01 by tcho-tcho.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.479 seconds