October 09, 2023
2593 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2787 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about Eurogames here.

Agricoolaid shipping!!!

More
06 Aug 2008 19:43 #9591 by Mr Skeletor
TheDukester wrote:

mikoyan wrote:

Agricola is shipping? I didn't hear that.

That's one of the funnier things about FlavorOfTheMonth.com: remember, this game was better than oxygen just a few months ago. You'd think that its U.S. release would generate that same level of enthusiasm (geeklists, 10,000 forums entries, etc.) ... but no. The sheep have already moved on to other flavors.

Have you been on the geek lately?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Aug 2008 09:22 #9610 by mikoyan
Replied by mikoyan on topic Re:Agricoolaid shipping!!!
TheDukester wrote:

mikoyan wrote:

That's one of the funnier things about FlavorOfTheMonth.com: remember, this game was better than oxygen just a few months ago. You'd think that its U.S. release would generate that same level of enthusiasm (geeklists, 10,000 forums entries, etc.) ... but no. The sheep have already moved on to other flavors.

I haven't seen a bunch of geeklists but about every other forum is some question about Agricola....

"So if I have my farmer and his mate and they have a child. should they get it aborted since that would be another mouth to feed?"

More
07 Aug 2008 13:10 - 07 Aug 2008 13:11 #9625 by Aarontu
Replied by Aarontu on topic Re:Agricoolaid shipping!!!
mikoyan wrote:

TheDukester wrote:

mikoyan wrote:

I haven't seen a bunch of geeklists but about every other forum is some question about Agricola....

"So if I have my farmer and his mate and they have a child. should they get it aborted since that would be another mouth to feed?"

Interesting; I didn't realize a game of Agricola contained such meaninful decisions.

Thought they were more like, my shovel-load of crap would be better in the pile near the house, or in the pile out by the barn?
Last edit: 07 Aug 2008 13:11 by Aarontu.

More
08 Aug 2008 12:44 #9706 by Schweig!
Replied by Schweig! on topic Re:Agricoolaid shipping!!!
This is what the board game geek with the most logged plays (138 as of yet) has to say about Agricola (from this geeklist: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/33059 :

Q: Do you think you'll be playing much more of it in the future?

A: I expect to be playing this for some time, though my plays of it have recently tapered off. I hope they pick up again soon as i devote less of my gaming time to playtesting Dominion.

Oh the irony.

More
08 Aug 2008 14:00 #9714 by moofrank
Replied by moofrank on topic Re:Agricoolaid shipping!!!
Don't care. Still like it, but would probably prefer my battered and pasted up copy.

I have a weirder problem with these kinds of classic Eurogames. I am still fond of the better ones--but hate the idea of playing them with the folks who are fond of them.

Agricola to me is absolutely absorbing while playing it, except that whole Euro-y spreadsheet scoring model makes the end of the game either a bit of a let down, or a painful exercise in point counting.

...unless you are with people who prefer to play a game instead of game it....

More
15 Aug 2008 11:34 #10140 by mikoyan
So the big question...will it topple Puerto Rico? Or will it rise in score so fast that it will go negative and beat out the bottom of the list?

More
15 Aug 2008 23:56 - 16 Aug 2008 00:03 #10175 by Schweig!
Replied by Schweig! on topic Re:Agricoolaid shipping!!!
Out of the recent 100 Agricola threads, this has got to be the best one as of yet:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/332889

"Played the game for the first time last night with a brand new copy. The player playing red noticed after a few turns that his hands were turning red. He was the red player and the red coloring of the wooden bits was rubbing off onto his hands. It was so bad that the cards he had that game are now red on the edges."

"This is really bad news. I hope Z-Man is planning on offering free replacement bits. We shouldn't have to spray-paint bits after spending $50+ on a game."

"It would be nice to get some instructions from the game designer or a publisher on resolving this issue should it occur to anyone. I have no clue how to "fix" a problem like this should I encounter it."
Last edit: 16 Aug 2008 00:03 by Schweig!.

More
16 Aug 2008 11:30 #10186 by vialiy
Replied by vialiy on topic Re:Agricoolaid shipping!!!
I noticed this thread yesterday. I found the most hilarious statement in all of BGG:

Fortunately I pre-wash all of my games before playing.

More
16 Aug 2008 17:35 #10192 by mikoyan
Schweig! wrote:

Out of the recent 100 Agricola threads, this has got to be the best one as of yet:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/332889

"Played the game for the first time last night with a brand new copy. The player playing red noticed after a few turns that his hands were turning red. He was the red player and the red coloring of the wooden bits was rubbing off onto his hands. It was so bad that the cards he had that game are now red on the edges."

"This is really bad news. I hope Z-Man is planning on offering free replacement bits. We shouldn't have to spray-paint bits after spending $50+ on a game."

"It would be nice to get some instructions from the game designer or a publisher on resolving this issue should it occur to anyone. I have no clue how to "fix" a problem like this should I encounter it."

Can't say that my red plastic pieces have ever turned my fingers red....:)

A pretty easy fix for someone who builds models is to spray them with dullcote....

More
18 Aug 2008 10:45 #10230 by mikoyan
And apparently....this is just a rumor though because information coming out of the Republic of BGG is sparse but...it's now number 1.

Soon you will see statues of Puerto Rico toppling down.

More
18 Aug 2008 12:48 #10232 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Re:Agricoolaid shipping!!!

Please deposit your copies of the ungame PUERTO RICO into the memory hole as soon as possible. Don't miss the two-minute hate. War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength.

More
18 Aug 2008 13:03 #10233 by Harkonnen13
But will there be a coup de etat? Will the budding slave traders and tobacco farmers take back their crown? Will Puerto Rico fans let the hate for Agricola flow in forum and geeklist? All this drama is giving me gray hairs and it's making me grind my teeth. This is more stressful than the Olympics.

And more importantly will more people bug me to play Agricola (I'll get asked at least twice each time) at our monthly Games marathon? I hope not, it's getting hard to say no politely. It's not like I bug them to play Breakout Normandy or Last Night on Earth. Fuckers.

More
18 Aug 2008 19:38 #10253 by Schweig!

More
18 Aug 2008 22:30 #10263 by JoelCFC25
Remember, it would have hit #1 a few days earlier if it wasn't for the heinous ratings prank of 2008! All the perpetrators should be ashamed--think of Hanno's family. :dry:

More
19 Aug 2008 08:57 #10274 by mikoyan
JoelCFC25 wrote:

Remember, it would have hit #1 a few days earlier if it wasn't for the heinous ratings prank of 2008! All the perpetrators should be ashamed--think of Hanno's family. :dry:

Hehe....

Man the pitchforks, we must root out the evil!!!

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.222 seconds