October 09, 2023
2687 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2855 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about whatever you like related to games that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Camera Questions....

More
25 Sep 2008 12:44 #11879 by mikoyan
Camera Questions.... was created by mikoyan
A long time ago, I had a Pentax 35mm SLR camera and I enjoyed it. I could mess around with things like shutter speed and aperture. But then this new fangled digital thing came around and I took the plunge by getting a Kodak. It was nice but I didn't have nearly the control (or zoom) that I could get with my old camera (sadly that camera died...). A couple years ago I got a Panasonic FZ7. It's a nice enough camera, I can monkey with the different settings but it is still a fixed lens and doesn't have the small apertures.

I'm thinking of getting an SLR camera, have done a bit of reading and can't decide between Canon or Nikon.

Do any of you have an SLR camera and which do you use?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Sep 2008 15:56 #11891 by vandemonium
Replied by vandemonium on topic Re:Camera Questions....
Dude, I just went through this. In my case I was unhappy with the Sony point and shoot we had and wanted a better one. One of my colleagues is a big photograpy guy, he's won some local competitions and all that Jazz. He told me, that for picture quality Canon is the best. IIRC Nikon had some persenickety better qualities (inlcuding things like a quiet shutter - and could do more continuous shots). Anyhoo, I searched and searded and found a Canon Rebel the 8mb variety that is just about gone from the shelves for a pretty good deal. I don't need anything more than 8mb, hell I don't really need 8 but the ones you can find now are more like 10 - 12. I got mine from www.vanns.com - but I just did a quick search and no longer see my model. The price was low enough that I was able to badger my wife into accepting it :) I've been *VERY* happy with it so far. The auto setting produces great pictures for snapshots, and the various other settings are great. I am starting to figure out how to set the aperture and iso to get some cool "stop action" shots.

There is a good "for dummies" book out too that I got for 30% and is helpful in learing how to put all the features to good effect.

Here are some of my shots - Page 1 is new camera and page 2 and beyond is old camera.

I've been really digging it. Good luck man!!

More
25 Sep 2008 16:32 #11894 by mikoyan
Replied by mikoyan on topic Re:Camera Questions....
Well, I think I'm waffling between the Nikon D300 and the Canon 40D. Both are are semi-pro to pro cameras. Both look like they take good pictures (I'm of the opinion the operator matters more than the camera though). The Canon has the edge on price though. (It's about $500 less) From one of my other boards, the Canon may also have the edge on lenses.

More
25 Sep 2008 18:41 #11905 by Notahandle
Replied by Notahandle on topic Re:Camera Questions....
vandemonium wrote:
"I got mine from www.vanns.com "
From your .com? Shill! Shill!!! SHILL!!!!!!!!!!

More
25 Sep 2008 19:41 #11906 by vandemonium
Replied by vandemonium on topic Re:Camera Questions....
Notahandle wrote:

vandemonium wrote:
"I got mine from www.vanns.com "
From your .com? Shill! Shill!!! SHILL!!!!!!!!!!

lol :laugh:

Nice!

More
08 Oct 2008 00:02 #12634 by mikoyan
So I went with the Canon 40D.

Okay, I can handle Avalon Hill Rules, my Engineering degree and now this....

I think I can understand some wussy Euro rules.....

More
08 Oct 2008 11:35 #12646 by Stephen Avery
Heya Please keep me posted as to best price and location. I'm getting my wife a decent camera and need to start shopping around.

I could look it up but does anyone know off hand how large you can blow up a 8MB before it starts to look grainy?

Thanks!

Steve"camerashopping"Avery

More
08 Oct 2008 13:27 #12650 by mikoyan
Stephen Avery wrote:

Heya Please keep me posted as to best price and location. I'm getting my wife a decent camera and need to start shopping around.

I could look it up but does anyone know off hand how large you can blow up a 8MB before it starts to look grainy?

Thanks!

Steve"camerashopping"Avery

I got mine at Best Buy. Probably not the best price but I didn't have to deal with shipping or shifty camera salesmen in New York.

what kind of camera are you looking for for her? If you're looking for a point a shot, the Panasonic FZ7 I had was pretty good and had an awesome zoom. If you're looking for an SLR be prepared to spend some bucks depending on what she's looking for.

More
20 Oct 2008 15:12 #13165 by mikoyan
So I finally had a chance to play around with my camera and I am liking the hell out of it. I went to an Eastern Michigan game over the weekend. Got some pretty decent shots.

http://www.wentworth-ltd.org/emu/emu.html

More
11 Dec 2008 10:04 #15235 by mikoyan
Went down to the Air Force Museum.

http://www.wentworth-ltd.org/dayton/dayton.html

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.286 seconds