October 09, 2023
2693 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2860 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about whatever you like related to games that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Point--Counter Point with Derk Solko

More
26 Nov 2008 12:49 - 26 Nov 2008 12:53 #14457 by Deleted User 1
Recently I had a very spirited online discussion with BGG co-owner Derk Solko.

In our conversation, Derk partially blamed ME for the fact that Rick Thornquist and Greg Schloesser were no longer involved in gaming.

I was confused because I saw posted recently on BGG a picture of Rick Thornquist at BGG Con wearing a T-shirt that read

"DELETED USER 1"

He looked happy to be back in the thick of the action. Teaching games and once again assuming his role as Euro Titan!

As far as Greg goes just take at look at all the recent reviews he has posted on Boardgame News.

I quickly countered Derk's accussation with these facts but he did not concede his point.

My second point of contention with Derk Solko was not mentioned in our online discussion but I saw his interview on a Dallas local station where he called BGG Con the "Super Bowl" of Boardgaming.

I disagree. The Super Bowl of Boardgaming would be the WBC. The WBC is more in line with the Super Bowl in that there is actual competitative gaming.

BGG Con is just a Boardgame party.
Last edit: 26 Nov 2008 12:53 by Deleted User 1.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Nov 2008 13:17 #14465 by Malloc
For the Record Derk goes to both bgg.con and the WBC.

I agree the WBC is the better con, but not due to the competition. In fact, that can be a pain (Euro gamers are only half as bad as euro tournament players) but because the selection of games is more well rounded there than at BGG con. you can play anything from huge war games to the latest euros, or come find me for some ti3.

I was not at bgg con but I did check out the live 2 way video feed. We kept asking to see a war game and they had to hunt down Khrusty to find one. The whoe time asking why we wanted to see a war game and not space alert.
BGG.con would be a fun time too, if you made sure enough gamers there were going to want to play fun games and not just the latest essen hotness.

Derk is a fun guy to play games with it is a shame more folks at BGG are not like him.

-M

More
26 Nov 2008 13:48 #14469 by Michael Barnes
This is bullshit. The Super Bowl of board gaming is tonight when I meet up with my pal Billy Motion to play the new edition of TITAN.

More
26 Nov 2008 14:08 #14472 by moss_icon
Michael Barnes wrote:

This is bullshit. The Super Bowl of board gaming is tonight when I meet up with my pal Billy Motion to play the new edition of TITAN.

who is going to be the buffalo bills?

More
26 Nov 2008 14:33 #14473 by DeletedUser
the*mad*gamer wrote:

In our conversation, Derk partially blamed ME for the fact that Rick Thornquist and Greg Schloesser were no longer involved in gaming.

I was confused because I saw posted recently on BGG a picture of Rick Thornquist at BGG Con wearing a T-shirt that read "DELETED USER 1". He looked happy to be back in the thick of the action. Teaching games and once again assuming his role as Euro Titan!

As far as Greg goes just take at look at all the recent reviews he has posted on Boardgame News.

You are obviously not insidious enough and need to work harder. And dont be satisfied with partial credit. Run them both out of town and then turn it into a movie followed closely by a licensed board game.

More
26 Nov 2008 15:02 #14477 by Harkonnen13
BGG Con isn't the Superbowl of boardgaming (it is a giant boardgame party) but there was a whole lot more wargaming than last year. 3 games at one time would have been more than last year. Kuhrusty's crew had the back corner of the Oak room and there were about 4-8 tables of wargames in the grand ballroom. If you couldn't find a wargame you obviously weren't looking for one. Most of the DFW locals played each other, the out of towners stayed in their corner. With a few exceptions. I can't say whether the WBC has more wargames (but it probably does) so I'm going to find out this upcoming year when I go.

More
26 Nov 2008 16:43 #14488 by Mr Skeletor
Is Khrustys nose still red?

More
26 Nov 2008 16:50 #14489 by Harkonnen13
Mr Skeletor wrote:

I don't know but I'm 6'3" and I would still have to look up to see it.

More
26 Nov 2008 20:52 #14500 by ubarose
Harkonnen13 wrote:

BGG Con isn't the Superbowl of boardgaming (it is a giant boardgame party) but there was a whole lot more wargaming than last year. 3 games at one time would have been more than last year. Kuhrusty's crew had the back corner of the Oak room and there were about 4-8 tables of wargames in the grand ballroom. If you couldn't find a wargame you obviously weren't looking for one. Most of the DFW locals played each other, the out of towners stayed in their corner. With a few exceptions. I can't say whether the WBC has more wargames (but it probably does) so I'm going to find out this upcoming year when I go.

LOL. WBC used to be the Avalon Hill convention. Have you ever been in one of those rooms that has mirrors so it looks like the room goes on and on and on. The war game room is like that, except then you realize, there are no mirrors.

More
26 Nov 2008 21:04 #14502 by ubarose
the*mad*gamer wrote:

Either Derk is full of shit, or Rick and Greg are pussies. I mean really, who gets driven out of anything by a guy who wears pleated pants and a Sears sports coat.

More
26 Nov 2008 21:13 - 26 Nov 2008 21:13 #14503 by Harkonnen13
ubarose wrote:

LOL. WBC used to be the Avalon Hill convention. Have you ever been in one of those rooms that has mirrors so it looks like the room goes on and on and on. The war game room is like that, except then you realize, there are no mirrors.

Well boy howdy I'm there.
Last edit: 26 Nov 2008 21:13 by Harkonnen13.

More
26 Nov 2008 21:27 #14504 by Mr Skeletor
ubarose wrote:

the*mad*gamer wrote:

Either Derk is full of shit, or Rick and Greg are pussies. I mean really, who gets driven out of anything by a guy who wears pleated pants and a Sears sports coat.

A guy like that chased me out of his front yard once.

More
27 Nov 2008 02:15 #14506 by Bulwyf
Mr Skeletor wrote:

Yes. Khrusty actually had the red clown nose with him. Nice guy. Scary. But nice.

-Will

More
27 Nov 2008 03:12 #14510 by moss_icon
the*mad*gamer wrote:

i think there lies the terrible truth. people on BGG think that the site is bigger than gaming itself.

More
27 Nov 2008 07:23 #14516 by Schweig!
the*mad*gamer wrote:

I bet he's blaming you that these two are no longer involved in BGG instead.

My second point of contention with Derk Solko was not mentioned in our online discussion but I saw his interview on a Dallas local station where he called BGG Con the "Super Bowl" of Boardgaming.

I guess he tried to promote the convention.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.311 seconds