October 09, 2023
2545 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2739 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about whatever you like related to games that doesn't fit anywhere else.

What is your best game?

More
09 Jan 2009 10:33 #16354 by Shellhead
1. What is your best game, the game that you win the most? Not your favorite game, but the game where you consistently kick ass.

2. And why are you so good at it?

3. Also, if your best game isn't your favorite game, why aren't you winning your favorite game more often?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Jan 2009 10:46 #16356 by Mr. Bistro
The Great Khan Game. I know that game like the back of my hand; every nuance, every statistic. I almost always win, and when I play it is usually with every other player teaming up against me.

More
09 Jan 2009 10:48 #16357 by Shellhead
1. At the moment, I am undefeated at Battlestar Galactica, 3-0, though that could just be a statistical anomaly. I am also very successful when playing Acquire and Mall of Horror (boardgames), Divine Right (wargame), and Shadowfist (ccg).

2. Before I got heavily involved in gaming, I played a lot of poker (on Boy Scout campouts, of all places). We just played for candy and pocket change, but I learned a lot about bluffing, trash talk, tells, and instinct at an early age. So when I play Battlestar Galactica with my friends, I feel like I can read some of them like an open book. The only time that I was really fooled was when this computer programmer in our group played his first game and was also a Cylon. Then again, he's hard to read anyway due to his general calm and polite manner.

All the other games that I'm really good at were games that I played heavily at some point in my life. All of the nuances of these games have become almost instinctive to me, and that often makes all the difference.

3. My favorite game is Arkham Horror, and I don't mind losing to the game, except when really poor play by others costs us the game. Within a few months of acquiring the base game, we were winning 90% of the time, because we had gradually worked out the winning strategy. Since then, the addition of the various expansions has increased the difficulty. With all the expansions up until Kingsport, we were losing about 2/3 of the time. Now we're back to winning almost 50% of the time. It's just a very challenging game, and the combination of a few bad choices and a few bad die rolls can make you lose.

More
09 Jan 2009 10:48 #16358 by BradHB
Replied by BradHB on topic Re:What is your best game?
1) I've never really given it any thought before, but I appear to be the univeral loser. I can't think of any game thatn I win more than any other, except maybe Arkham Horror. My posse and I are owning that so often that the expansions are becoming a necessity.

2) Practice. We know which gates to shut, when to fight monsters and when to avoid them, when to sacrifice and when to keep. It all comes down to experience, and consistently running from Shoggoths.

3) Because I am very, very bad at Fury of Dracula.

More
09 Jan 2009 11:13 #16361 by mikoyan
Replied by mikoyan on topic Re:What is your best game?
1. I have the reputation of being the Crayon Train Game king although of late that hasn't been the case. When I was growing up, it was Risk.

2. I have no idea why I'm so good at them. I do like to play them but I'm not the most efficient when it comes to laying rail and my rail networks tend to span the board (using too much money).

3. My favorites are wargames.

More
09 Jan 2009 11:44 #16362 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Re:What is your best game?
I lose at a lot of games. I have a long undefeated streak at Railroad Tycoon, though.

More
09 Jan 2009 11:44 - 09 Jan 2009 13:24 #16363 by ChristopherMD
1. What is your best game, the game that you win the most? Not your favorite game, but the game where you consistently kick ass.

San Juan. Its definitely not my favorite game. I don't even like it beyond the fact I've won 14 out of 14 games.

The choices are completely obvious every turn and there's no way for anyone to stop me.

3. Also, if your best game isn't your favorite game, why aren't you winning your favorite game more often?

Because its DOOM: The Board Game and I like to play as a marine. ;)
Last edit: 09 Jan 2009 13:24 by ChristopherMD.

More
09 Jan 2009 12:17 #16364 by Schweig!
Replied by Schweig! on topic Re:What is your best game?

Race for the Galaxy. I win everytime when the owner of the game is not paticipating. He and I won equally often though. I have to note though that I never played this game with just two players yet.

The same reasons Mad Dog mentioned apply. It's also one of the few euros I "like", so I manage to stay awake throughout the whole game.

I play wargames against a human player just as I play them solitaire, i.e. I play fast and take risks, so I also make a lot of mistakes.

Winning an AT game can never be reduced to playing skill solely, you also need luck on your side and at least not get piled upon by your opponents.

More
09 Jan 2009 12:40 #16365 by Chapel
Replied by Chapel on topic Re:What is your best game?

I have never lost a game of Knizia's Samurai.

Not sure, just seemed to have grokked it.

My favorite game is Through the Ages. I win more than I lose, but I have lost a couple times. But I play a mean game.

More
09 Jan 2009 12:47 #16367 by Michael Barnes

Wow, this is embarrassing. I have never lost a game of PRINCES OF FLORENCE. Seriously, I am like the absolute master of the game. Of course, I haven't played it in three years and will likely never play it again, so consider me retired, undefeated.

I have no fucking clue. For some reason, I just really grasp the opportunity cost/investment potential thing in it more than I do in other games.

DUNE is my all time favorite, and I do tend to win that a lot but it's usually in an alliance with other folks. Current favorite BSG I never win because I somehow have managed to never be a Cylon.

More
09 Jan 2009 12:52 #16368 by Chapel
Replied by Chapel on topic Re:What is your best game?
Michael Barnes wrote:

DUNE is my all time favorite, and I do tend to win that a lot but it's usually in an alliance with other folks. Current favorite BSG I never win because I somehow have managed to never be a Cylon.

Have yet to beat it as a non-cylon. Came really close!

More
09 Jan 2009 13:20 #16373 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Re:What is your best game?

I will fucking rock your socks in Boggle.

Because it's the only game that marries my pointlessly huge vocabulary with spatial recognition.

BECAUSE I CAN'T ROLL FOR SHIT AGAINST YIG. This is well covered ground . I did finally beat that scaly bitch, though, with my brother-in-law's additional juju.

More
09 Jan 2009 13:30 #16374 by Juniper
Replied by Juniper on topic Re:What is your best game?

NFL VCR Quarterback, circa 1986.

There is no reason. The game was 100% luck. Still, I never lost, literally.

Because my favorite game is only 95% luck.

More
09 Jan 2009 13:32 #16375 by Michael Barnes
I guess I'm pretty good at Electric Football...

One day I'm going to release a line of classic Eurogames redone along the lines of Electric Football.

BZZZZZZZZZZZZ!

More
09 Jan 2009 13:45 #16377 by Space Ghost
Michael Barnes wrote:

I guess I'm pretty good at Electric Football...

One day I'm going to release a line of classic Eurogames redone along the lines of Electric Football.

BZZZZZZZZZZZZ!

At least it would add a 'B' in front of all those ZZZZZ's that are usually found in Euros --- me and my 3rd grade humor are hear all week :)

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.513 seconds