October 09, 2023
2515 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2713 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about whatever you like related to games that doesn't fit anywhere else.

FFG Holiday Sale is on

More
20 Nov 2014 01:54 #191073 by Sevej
Replied by Sevej on topic Re: FFG Holiday Sale is on
That Blue Max is an odd release. I remember back then got the new that Blue Max is released by FFG. Then *nothing*. It doesn't even have a page or listed in FFG's catalog.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Nov 2014 07:05 #191076 by Cranberries
Yeah, I saw it at a shop in France and didn't even realize it was FFG.

More
20 Nov 2014 08:18 #191083 by stormseeker75
GoW for $20? SOLD. I bought Black Gold as well because, hey, both of those shipped for $45 is a freakin' steal.

More
20 Nov 2014 10:04 - 20 Nov 2014 10:50 #191096 by stoic
Replied by stoic on topic Re: FFG Holiday Sale is on
If you're on the fence about getting Gears of War, you should purchase it. As others have said, it's a steal at the holiday sale price. I paid full retail for my copy--it's one of my favorite games even though I didn't play the video game. I am saddened by the fact that its inclusion in the holiday sale means that Gears of War has likely been orphaned by FFG. I wonder whether they lost the rights to the Gears of War intellectual property or whether it wasn't worth renewing? I think that FFG should have taken the game mechanics from Gears of War and made it the new Star Wars: Imperial Assault instead of using the Descent overlord mechanics. They could have printed AI and Character Cards for each faction so you could battle out scenarios playing either side in various generic Star Wars settings. That would be fun!!!.
Last edit: 20 Nov 2014 10:50 by stoic.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
20 Nov 2014 10:41 #191102 by lj1983
Replied by lj1983 on topic Re: FFG Holiday Sale is on
when Descent 2 was announced I was sooooo hoping they'd take some of the ideas from Gears and apply them.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, stoic

More
20 Nov 2014 11:18 #191109 by VonTush
Replied by VonTush on topic Re: FFG Holiday Sale is on
They are with the Game Night Kits (which are later released in a Print on Demand package).
It is a pretty good melding of the two.

More
20 Nov 2014 11:44 #191116 by VonTush
Replied by VonTush on topic Re: FFG Holiday Sale is on

Legomancer wrote: Planet Steam for $20 is more like Planet STEAL.

So I'm considering picking up a damaged GoW copy to have a second set of tiles so that way if I ever desire to home-brew missions I can use both sides of the same tile.

But to make it worth it, I'd want to throw in at least one other thing...So can you elaborate more on Planet Steam? Good it sounds? Playtime? How hard is it to teach?

More
20 Nov 2014 11:46 #191117 by Msample
Replied by Msample on topic Re: FFG Holiday Sale is on
Pretty much the entire list is repeats from past years. Given the impending reboot of the Game of Thrones LCG I thought they'd start trying to dump that stuff, at least the older expansions.

And for all the BGG chicken littles fearing the worst upon hearing the news of the Asmodee deal, there is nothing on this list that suggests any sort of shift in direction was dictated to FFG that required them to dump certain products.

Fortress America . Still a decent game, but they fucked and dramatically swung balance to the invaders with the needless map changes and movement rules changes ( infantry can be carried by mechs so it can move twice ) they instituted. Glad I stuck with the original version.

More
20 Nov 2014 13:38 #191129 by ioticus
Replied by ioticus on topic Re: FFG Holiday Sale is on
I see nothing but crap in this sale.

More
20 Nov 2014 13:57 #191133 by Legomancer

VonTush wrote:

Legomancer wrote: Planet Steam for $20 is more like Planet STEAL.

So I'm considering picking up a damaged GoW copy to have a second set of tiles so that way if I ever desire to home-brew missions I can use both sides of the same tile.

But to make it worth it, I'd want to throw in at least one other thing...So can you elaborate more on Planet Steam? Good it sounds? Playtime? How hard is it to teach?

Planet Steam is an economic game. It's not TOO hard to teach, but it may turn off anyone who isn't a seasoned gamer. The thing about it is, with four players (ideal, I think) there are only 5 rounds. That doesn't seem like a lot and it isn't. With a lot of economic games you build an engine and then improve it or keep it running. Planet Steam doesn't give you the chance to sit back and coast to build up money; every turn is vital. Also, because the market fluctuates with real supply and demand, you have to adjust your production every turn. A big payout for quartz almost assures that quartz will not be worth much next turn. So every turn you need to re-evaluate your plan.

Despite that, it's not totally dry and un-fun. I like it a lot.
The following user(s) said Thank You: VonTush

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.843 seconds