October 09, 2023
2523 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2724 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about other nerd culture stuff in here.

Welcome To My Nerdery!

More
24 Jan 2013 12:49 - 24 Jan 2013 12:52 #142256 by Mr. White
So, I just turned 38 in December and must be going through some sort of crisis.
I've never been one to buy genre shirts or toys based on some nerd license, but for the past month I find myself drawn to this:

and more oddly enough, one of these:

I have no idea what situation I'd be in where I'd want to be wearing a D&D shirt (they actually have a pretty good line here ). In fact, I would guess in nearly all I wouldn't.

If this is my midlife-crisis...it sucks. Where's the fast cars and loose women?!
Last edit: 24 Jan 2013 12:52 by Mr. White.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Jan 2013 12:53 #142257 by Matt Thrower

Jeff White wrote: If this is my midlife-crisis...it sucks. Where's the fast cars and loose women?!

I'm 38. I've had a similar reaction. Even down to Lord of the Rings Lego.

I've not fallen as far as old-school D&D t-shirts though. That's beyond the pale. Freak.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr. White

More
24 Jan 2013 12:58 #142258 by Black Barney
Turning 38 next year, I think the D&D shirt is cooler than the Lego playset (unless you want to sprinkle to pieces near your entrances as a type of home defence). The D&D shirt would be hilarious and you could say you lost a bet and have to wear it @ Hooter's or something.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DeletedUser, SuperflyPete

More
24 Jan 2013 13:57 #142264 by hotseatgames
The first D&D shirt is pretty cool. Wear it proudly; you probably don't want to deal with anyone who would judge you for it anyway.

More
24 Jan 2013 14:29 #142269 by SuperflyPete
I like the shirt. Hell, I'd wear it to Mass, even. You're a freak for buying Lego toys, though, unless you plan to use them for a Heroica game, in which case it's game related. If you say "pew pew pew" while pretending to shoot magic missiles or whatever, yeah, you're long gone. ;)

More
24 Jan 2013 14:52 #142272 by repoman
Replied by repoman on topic Re: Welcome To My Nerdery!
I agree that first shirt is pretty awesome. One of my favorite D&D pictures. I can't remember what it was on though. Was a cover of Dragon Magazine? Anyway, wear it 'cuz "Fuck 'em" that's why. And if you get embarrassed and want to wuss out just pretend your a hipster and you're wearing it ironically.

Damn..think I may just order it myself.

More
24 Jan 2013 14:57 #142273 by Space Ghost
It was on the Red Box.

More
24 Jan 2013 16:13 - 24 Jan 2013 16:37 #142282 by Mr. White

Black Barney wrote: The D&D shirt would be hilarious and you could say you lost a bet and have to wear it @ Hooter's or something.

But that only works once...

Repo has it right. I could also claim 'ironic' but folks who know me know I don't do hip irony.

The biggest factor in this decisions is my kids. I'm pretty aware of how I act as a father, and I'm not sure they need to now see their dad as:

a) a gamer
b) with toys
c) wearing nerd shirts

That combo is too much for me.

Maybe I'll just go for the shirt and wear it to occasional game nights...

(this woulda been so much easier if it was hookers and blow)
Last edit: 24 Jan 2013 16:37 by Mr. White.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete

More
24 Jan 2013 16:57 #142286 by metalface13
I'm 32 and I fell down the LEGO well a couple of years ago when my wife bought me an AT-ST for Christmas. I've collected some Star Wars stuff, those collectible minifigures and now some LOTR stuff. Mostly what holds me back is my wallet. I think they're fun to build, like building models but without huffing glue. Or needing steady hands. There's a whole community of "Adult Fans of LEGO" or AFOL (sounds a little dirty) that's every bit as nerdy as the BGG community. But they build ridiculously awesome stuff. I just build the models and put them on my bookshelf. Yeah, it's childish, but I let my nephews and niece play with them and when my son gets past the choking stage, they're all his.

More
24 Jan 2013 17:09 #142288 by Matt Thrower
I forgot to mention. I have this on my desk at work:

[attachment:1]20130124_170745.jpg[/attachment]

More
24 Jan 2013 17:14 #142291 by Sagrilarus

Jeff White wrote: If this is my midlife-crisis...it sucks. Where's the loose women?!

Are you paying for everything you buy with fifties? You need to set the tone.

A mid-life crisis isn't something you stumble into, it's something you carefully execute. 38 is still a little early to start, but it never hurts to have a five-year plan worked up so you can turn to it on short notice.

S.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete

More
24 Jan 2013 17:47 #142296 by 433
Replied by 433 on topic Re: Welcome To My Nerdery!
I love Lego, man. I'm even in an adult Lego club, but not as into it as a lot of these folks are.

My wife loves them, too - instead of an engagement ring, she wanted either the Lego Star Destroyer or Death Star (got her the Death Star). Our wedding cake toppers were Lego minifigs of ourselves on our scooters (though I had to paint a hair piece blue to make it work for me).
The following user(s) said Thank You: metalface13, SuperflyPete

More
24 Jan 2013 18:57 #142306 by Michael Barnes

Jeff White wrote: If this is my midlife-crisis...it sucks. Where's the fast cars and loose women?!

In a place where there aren't any D&D t-shirts.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 433, Space Ghost, SuperflyPete

More
24 Jan 2013 19:43 #142321 by Almalik
Replied by Almalik on topic Re: Welcome To My Nerdery!
I got blindsided by Lego earlier this last year now that my son is old enough to get into it (Ninjago and Star Wars). Not much interested in the LotR stuff (although I'll buy the rumored Balrog in a fucking heartbeat) but have picked up some of the Dino sets for later and there may be a DeathStar tucked up in the attic waiting. Glad I live in/near a large enough centre that you can pick up some stuff used, cause it ain't cheap new.

Crossing the nerd streams, I also bought the old Fort Legoredo set and a few other Western minifigs to use with The Rules With No Name.

More
24 Jan 2013 19:44 #142322 by MattFantastic
I have most, if not all, of the new D&D shirt line. And I wear em. I'm wearing a D&D shirt right now. To be fair, I get them for free, but to be double fair, I get them for free cause I do events for WotC.

Bunch of uptight haters. I'd rather sport a shirt with dragons and swords on it than some weak ass polo player or "GAP".
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete, repoman

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.172 seconds