October 09, 2023
2521 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2723 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about other nerd culture stuff in here.

Welcome To My Nerdery!

More
25 Jan 2013 04:28 #142362 by Space Ghost

Black Barney wrote: The D&D shirt got me thinking (about viewing this dork tendency in all of us as more of a 'loud and proud' type of Jodie Foster thing).

What about a shirt like the one Pete is showing above but no shamrock and instead of Hooligan, it just read MATH

I dunno, I think that would be kind of cool (not for kids but for guys our age). it's like we're making a statement.

Random person: WTF? Math? For real? What's that supposed to mean?
me: I dunno, I just like math. More than, say, Abercrombie & Fitch. Math has been good to me, that's all.

*punch*punch*punch*

I have a shirt that says "Don't Drink and Derive" that I usually wear on the first day of graduate statistics
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Jan 2013 13:57 #142382 by Black Barney
See, that's something I wouldn't like. It's cute and stuff but it's trying to be subversive and is more of a nudgenudgewinkwink to other people who did well in Calculus.

Whereas think of what a statement a black t-shirt with bold white print on it, 'MATH' would say. I love this idea. I hope someone steals it. I'll buy that shirt. It would be a neat idea against this stupid wave of anti-intellectualism going around. If you tried any of this stuff with Science, I think some people would think you were being anti-religion and that's not the message you're making at all.

More
25 Jan 2013 13:59 #142383 by ThirstyMan
I still like the T shirt saying "Stand back, I'm about to do Science!"

More
25 Jan 2013 17:01 #142399 by Schweig!
Replied by Schweig! on topic Re: Welcome To My Nerdery!
I once wore a Bauhaus shirt to a robot tournament. I was responsible for the hardware, so it did kind of fit.

More
25 Jan 2013 17:08 #142401 by Space Ghost

Black Barney wrote: See, that's something I wouldn't like. It's cute and stuff but it's trying to be subversive and is more of a nudgenudgewinkwink to other people who did well in Calculus.

Well, it is a graduate statistics class -- it isn't like I wear it around the general populace like some kind of jackass.

Whereas think of what a statement a black t-shirt with bold white print on it, 'MATH' would say. I love this idea. I hope someone steals it.

I'll steal it -- my wife usually makes me a shirt or two a year when I teach grad level courses. Last year, it was just a shirt that said "Who's ready to work?"

More
25 Jan 2013 17:27 #142409 by SuperflyPete
I bought a "4 out of 3 people have problems with math" and "Fuck Math. Let it solve it's own problems" shirt for my physicist cousin...but I'm not too much on print T's except around the house (where I spend all the time now). I prefer long sleeve shirts to hide the hideously deformed tat on my right forearm. I've got to get it touched up....

More
25 Jan 2013 18:37 #142414 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic Re: Welcome To My Nerdery!
It's gotten to the point that I have trouble sorting The Man's T-shirts form The Spawn's T-shirts when I do the laundry. They both wear shirts with the same nerdy stuff on them. They even shop for shirts together. They also used to build Lego stuff together when The Spawn was younger. So I don't know if what you are experiencing is a mid-life crisis, or if having kids around makes you rediscover the passion for stuff you loved as a kid, and makes you want to share it with your own kids. I say let your kids help you pick out the Lego and T-shirt, and let them pick out one for themselves as well

More
25 Jan 2013 18:52 - 25 Jan 2013 20:36 #142416 by Dr. Mabuse
I recently came home to a parcel from my 11 year old nephew in Edmonton.

I opened it and nearly cried. It was a Star Wars t-shirt with Darth Vader in a telephone booth and some Stormtroopers queuing up outside waiting (for him or the phone, I don't know).

This isn't my kind of humour but the fact that he went to his first Comic Book convention, thought of his geeky Uncle, who he sees every couple of years, and bought this shirt for me trumps ANYTHING.

I'm 43 and I wear that mofo every week with pride (I actually have it on right now).
Last edit: 25 Jan 2013 20:36 by Dr. Mabuse.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Hatchling, Black Barney, lj1983, OldHippy, mikecl

More
25 Jan 2013 19:34 #142420 by Hatchling
The only nerd shirts I have are the F:AT one (which I quite like) and one that has a picture of an undead Jesus with a crown of thorns and the words 'Zombie Christ. Eat of my flesh'.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ThirstyMan

More
25 Jan 2013 21:13 - 25 Jan 2013 21:14 #142429 by Black Barney
Mabuse, post a pic! That sounds awesome

oh and lol @ 'Who's ready to work?!' in a grad class. I love it
Last edit: 25 Jan 2013 21:14 by Black Barney.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.154 seconds