October 09, 2023
2548 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2744 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about other nerd culture stuff in here.

The thread of book recommendations

More
01 Feb 2009 08:52 #19305 by Merkles
OK--here's some recommendations---though not the sci-fi/fantasy/comic genre (except, maybe,The Road)

Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky

Washington's Crossing-- David Hackett Fischer [history]

Aubrey/Maturin Series (e.g. Master and Commander) by Patrick O'Brian --- probably the best overall series I've ever read...though at times dense.
Winter's Tale by Mark Helprin

The Road Cormac McCarthy [yes, it is that good]

A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving [really the only Irving book that I've really liked]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Feb 2009 09:34 #19311 by BeneathTheEarth
The Road is a really good read. I think I read it the summer before last on the recommendation of a friend who knows I like post-apocalyptic films. "Cormac McCarthy? All the Pretty Horses? Ok..why not." The book was alot better than I thought it was going to be. I'm more a fan of Italian Mad Max rip-off films when it comes to the PA genre but I give The Road my full endorsement...for what little that is worth. I dont think anyone would regret picking it up. Fast read too, very engaging.

More
01 Feb 2009 11:15 #19314 by jeb
metalface13 wrote:

jeb wrote:

THE SHINING by Stephen King. This is the only Stephen King novel I would recommend. The others are kind of generic, and often overlong. This book, on the other hand, is the modern American Gothic novel. His short story collections are breathtaking: NIGHT SHIFT, SKELETON CREW, and DIFFERENT SEASONS are all excellent.

The Dark Tower series is generic? Nah man, the Dark Tower is where it's at! Literally.

Gawd, he fucked that series -up-, man! He's gotten so frigging solipsistic since the accident--it was bad before, now it's just out of control. Did you read LISEY'S STORY? Or his non-fiction (excellent!) ON WRITING? The guy can only write about himself at this point, and trust me--he's not that goddamn interesting.

I'm venting a little because THE DRAWING OF THE THREE might be the best book of his I've ever read. I don't feel like I can recommend it without people accidentally getting into the Dark Tower series, and he totally blows it. WOLVES OF THE CALLA was the last readable book for my tastes, and even that was riven with some pretty bad plot lines. I'm just so disappointed.

To the Gaiman fans--I totally dig THE SANDMAN, but his novels are kind of weak. I've read ANANSI BOYS and started AMERICAN GODS twice. I get a lot more out of Clive Barker, to be frank.

More
01 Feb 2009 12:32 #19320 by Shellhead
Yeah, I don't bother with new Stephen King books anymore. When was the last time he wrote a story that didn't star a middle-aged writer? The Dark Tower series started out great, and to this day, I still like The Gunslinger better than most things King has ever written. The Drawing of the Three was also very interesting, but The Waste Lands got very annoying with the childish rhymes. I gave up, though I did hear some favorable things about the final book.

More
01 Feb 2009 22:42 #19370 by metalface13
Wastelands isn't the best of the series, Song of Susannah was probably the worst. My favorites are The Gunslinger and Wizard and Glass.

More
01 Feb 2009 23:03 #19373 by TheDukester
Wizard and Glass was the high point. I've even done it via audio like three times (and RIP, Frank Muller).

One of my favorite stories ever.

More
02 Feb 2009 04:11 #19408 by Matt Thrower
I threw out a bunch of stuff over in the "AT books" thread but I'll repeat them here in case anyone is listening:

The Road
Any of the Elric novels by Michael Moorcock (Fortress of the Pearl is my favourite)
The Silmarillion
The Player of Games by Iain M. Banks

My other favourite, which I passed over in the previous thread because it's been a long time since I read it, are the Thomas Covenant books by Stephen Donaldson. The first series is excellent, the second even better. He's currently working on a third series which aren't so compelling and feel rather like a cash-cow, but still. Anyone else tackled those? Only let down, in my opinion, by the fact that Mr. Donaldson invents quite the worst fantasy names ever ("High Lord Kevin Landwaster"? Please!), and seems to know of no other curse-words other than "Hellfire".

More
02 Feb 2009 09:42 #19425 by Shellhead
MattDP wrote:

My other favourite, which I passed over in the previous thread because it's been a long time since I read it, are the Thomas Covenant books by Stephen Donaldson. The first series is excellent, the second even better. He's currently working on a third series which aren't so compelling and feel rather like a cash-cow, but still. Anyone else tackled those? Only let down, in my opinion, by the fact that Mr. Donaldson invents quite the worst fantasy names ever ("High Lord Kevin Landwaster"? Please!), and seems to know of no other curse-words other than "Hellfire".

Matt, you simply must check out this site:

www.fantasybedtimehour.com/

Lord Foul has never been funnier. I particularly enjoy the part of each episode where they bring in an expert and then everybody presents their visual aids.

More
02 Feb 2009 09:51 #19426 by Matt Thrower
Shellhead wrote:

Matt, you simply must check out this site:

www.fantasybedtimehour.com/

Will do. Just so you know it might be a while before I get the chance to watch anything on the computer with the sound turned up, so if I don't comment, it's not because I'm ignoring you :)

More
02 Feb 2009 10:47 #19435 by JoelCFC25
Some non sci-fi I'd throw out there...

The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay, Michael Chabon
Going After Cacciato, Tim O'Brien
White Teeth, Zadie Smith
The Heart of the Matter, Graham Greene

I'd re-emphasize someone's earlier recommendation of A Confederacy of Dunces...this is a book simply not to be missed.

More
02 Feb 2009 11:14 #19439 by moss_icon
JoelCFC25 wrote:

I'd re-emphasize someone's earlier recommendation of A Confederacy of Dunces...this is a book simply not to be missed.

i found CoD to be ultra dull, and left the room after about 50 pages. i was left wondering why everyone raved about it.

More
02 Feb 2009 11:23 #19442 by dan daly
metalface13 wrote:

dan daly wrote:

6 Messiahs is a sequel. I didn't think it was as good as List of 7 but it was still pretty good. Second Objective is the author's take on a historical fiction action story featuring Nazi "werewolves" during the battle of the bulge.

Nazi werewolves!? where were you in October when I was looking for werewolf books?

"Werewolves" in this sense means German troops who fought with irregular tactics- wearing allied uniforms, sabotaging, etc. The book is historical fiction. Still a good book, but if you're expecting lycanthropes you'll be disappointed.

More
02 Feb 2009 19:11 #19553 by metalface13
dan daly wrote:

metalface13 wrote:

dan daly wrote:

6 Messiahs is a sequel. I didn't think it was as good as List of 7 but it was still pretty good. Second Objective is the author's take on a historical fiction action story featuring Nazi "werewolves" during the battle of the bulge.

Nazi werewolves!? where were you in October when I was looking for werewolf books?

"Werewolves" in this sense means German troops who fought with irregular tactics- wearing allied uniforms, sabotaging, etc. The book is historical fiction. Still a good book, but if you're expecting lycanthropes you'll be disappointed.

Aw man ...

More
02 Feb 2009 20:10 #19559 by YourBestFriend
metalface13 wrote:

Storm Front: The Dresden Files Book 1: I actually enjoyed this one about a wizard private eye. The writing is cheesy but in a good way. I didn't really feel like Jim Butcher was taking himself too seriously. If he is ... well, joke is on him.

This is my favorite series lately. "Storm Front" is good, but once you get a few more books into the series, it becomes phenomenal. Another good thing about this series is that the stories are fast and with little filler (Butcher is the anti-Robert Jordan).

More
02 Feb 2009 22:47 #19571 by Horacio Silva
Shellhead wrote:

jeb wrote:

FOUCAULT'S PENDULUM by Umberto Eco. A trio of publishers decide to make some dough allowing conspiracy theorists to self-publish. The money's so good, they cook up their own--or do they? Fucking mindbending.

Eco has great ideas, but he needs four editors... one to verify his historical research, one to trim his manuscripts down with a meat cleaver, and two to hold Eco still during the meat cleaver usage.

Heresy! Heresy!

I need to submit a formal request for the banning of Shellhead on the basis of heretic behavior.

Thank you very much.

H

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.213 seconds