October 09, 2023
2532 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2738 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about other nerd culture stuff in here.

new animated GI JOE on AdultSwim.com

More
17 Apr 2009 20:58 #26241 by benny lava
If you thought the cheesy 80s animated series was OK, but loved the Marvel comic series, you will LURVEthe new minisodes on Adultswim.com. There is death, mayhem, WMD-level destruction and total ninja ass-kickery.

Sorry - no red and blue lasers.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Apr 2009 22:00 #26243 by Dr. Mabuse
Can't view it Canada. :(

More
17 Apr 2009 22:59 #26246 by Rliyen
benny lava wrote:

If you thought the cheesy 80s animated series was OK, but loved the Marvel comic series, you will LURVEthe new minisodes on Adultswim.com. There is death, mayhem, WMD-level destruction and total ninja ass-kickery.

Sorry - no red and blue lasers.

About fucking time they showed "death". Being brought up on Jonny Quest, Star Trek, and Wild, Wild West and seeing people, ya know, die; it kind of irritated me when Joes and and COBRA could be in a 10 x 10 room firing madly at each other...

AND NOT HITTING A SINGLE FUCKING SOUL.

It became a bit of a obsession of mine when I watched the show to see who was the unlucky SOB who could be theoretically "dead" in an episode.

There were only a few I remember. In the first miniseries, there was a scene where Duke escaped COBRA's clutches and was using a hand glider to flee (toy tie in, naturally). Well, a few schmoes went after him via hand glider. Duke expertly glides underneath a bony precipice of rock and a COBRA trooper tries to do the same thing, only without the "expert" bit. Glider crushed, the hapless COBRA trooper tries to hang onto the precipice with one hand, loses his grip, and falls out of the frame like a rock. Judging the height of the precipice by the height of the tamarack in the background (you could only see the tops of the trees), I came to the only logical conclusion.

"That dude is SO dead."

Then, in the GI Joe: The Movie, COBRA stages an assault on the Joe's base. The usual suspects of gun safety failure show up, via trouble bubbles, and make a mess of things. One of the trouble bubbles is hit, loses control, and smashes into the armored wall of the Joe base. Seeing no COBRA pilot eject with a pussified "parachute", I marked up another one to the dead pool. YAY!

The only one I felt robbed was from the same movie. Duke takes a hit to save his good for nothing half-brother, and a pretty grievous hit at that. I felt truly sad to see Duke go down, because I thought what he did was outstanding. Then, at the end of the movie, you hear the line, "Duke's come out of his coma!"

FUCK!!!!!

Way to toy with my emotions, fuckers. Should have seen that coming, the good guys ALWAYS win (in American cartoons mostly. In anime and HK movies, eh, not so much). Didn't you get the memo?

As for the "tossing the Cobra La guys in the ravine", I vote that doesn't count. That schtick was old in Superman II and it doesn't look any better in GI Joe: The Movie. Really, that is a LAME way to go out. I'd rather go out in a hail of bullets or a flurry of blades than getting my ticket punched in a spelunking accident.

More
18 Apr 2009 14:58 #26285 by Michael Barnes
WASSSSS A MAN!!!!! WASSSSS A MAN!!!

More
18 Apr 2009 15:58 #26287 by benny lava
The big difference in these new webisodes is that they are written by Warren Ellis, one of the best comic writers working today. Alan Moore is still the mack daddy, but Ellis' work stacks up against his very nicely. Planetary, Transmetropolitan, Global Frequency, Fell and The Authority are just a few of the great books he has written.

More
19 Apr 2009 15:31 #26335 by Rliyen
Michael Barnes wrote:

WASSSSS A MAN!!!!! WASSSSS A MAN!!!

Careful, my friends say I do CC a little too well.

More
19 Apr 2009 16:59 #26341 by mikoyan
I used to like the cartoon...but then that was what...20 years ago?

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.150 seconds