October 09, 2023
2525 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2727 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about other nerd culture stuff in here.

Graphic Novels and Comic Books

More
25 Apr 2009 03:32 #26921 by ubarose
Lobo

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Apr 2009 18:16 #26960 by Jason Lutes
I have to agree with the good Doktor Mabuse that the best one-off Batman -- nay, just plain superhero -- comic book to be found is Batman: Year One. David Mazzuchelli's presence pulls all of Frank Miller's worst excesses into check, and the result is a restrained and carefully balanced feat of operatic storytelling. I appreciate it even more now that I've taught it over a couple of semesters at the comic book school where I work . Christopher Nolan's Batman movies (and especially Gary Oldman's Jim Gordon) would not exist without this book. Alan Moore is great and all, but I personally find his hyper-controlled, hermetically-sealed approach to be more than a little oppressive. Miller/Mazzuchelli for the win.

If I had to pick a single great work in the comics medium, it would be Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, by Hayao Miyazaki. You may have seen the animated film by the same name, but the movie is only a small fraction of the sprawling epic that comprises the comics version. Nausicaa is the Lord of the Rings of the comic book medium, and I do not make that claim lightly. A staggering accomplishment at every level. The only English edition that's currently easy to find is seven volumes long and reads right-to-left, but at least it's in English.

I'll also echo and underline the mentions of Chester Brown, easily one of the greatest cartoonists of the last century. Everything he's done is phenomenal (though probably an acquired taste). If you lean toward the outlandish in your taste for fiction, read Ed the Happy Clown. If you've ever had any curiosity about Canadian history, read Louis Riel. For brutally honest autobiography, read the previously-mentioned I Never Liked You or The Playboy.

Also highly recommended: Epileptic, by David B.; James Sturm's America, by James Sturm (founder of the school where I work); David Boring, by Dan Clowes.

There is actually a huge amount of new and interesting stuff coming out from younger cartoonists these days, but most of it is shorter, self-published, and on the artsy side. Within the next five years a new wave of alternative (non-superhero) graphic novels is going to hit, as these youngsters sign deals with publishers who are desperately searching for ways to stay afloat.

And hey Juniper, thanks for the nod. Self-promotion mode ON: If you're tired of superheroes, maybe you'd like to read about an alcoholic, unemployed magician and his senile mentor ( Jar of Fools ), or better yet, the last days of the Weimar Republic ( Berlin: City of Stones , and Berlin: City of Smoke ). I also wrote a book called Houdini: The Handcuff King for Hyperion, and just put to bed a book about Amelia Earhart in the same series.

But! KingPut, I'll happily give you copies of my books gratis if we do manage to sit down at the same game table this summer.

More
25 Apr 2009 19:41 #26961 by Dr. Mabuse
Jason Lutes wrote:

I'll also echo and underline the mentions of Chester Brown... For brutally honest autobiography, read the previously-mentioned I Never Liked You or The Playboy.

If you like Chester Brown's works you may want to check out Joe Matt. Matt's a friend/enemy of Brown and his works are autobiographical as well but far more explicit. (Spent is about Matt's bout with obsessive masturbation.

More
25 Apr 2009 21:01 #26966 by BradHB
I second most of the stuff that's already been suggested, although I think that Alan Moore is more hit and miss than people seem to realise. Of course, the same could be said of any artist frequently labelled "A Genius".

I recommend Garth Ennis' current series "The Boys". It's basically the premise of Watchmen, but with Ennis' trademark black humour and some good old Judge Dredd sensibilities.

If you're into quirky, dark humour and slightly Tim Burton-esque artwork, then I recommend Jhonen Vasquez's "Johnny The Homicidal Maniac".

If you're into Lovecraft/Cthulhu, then I recommend "Lovecraft" by Hans Rodionoff and Keith Giffen. It blends a biography of Lovecraft in with his fiction. And I am a Lovecraft nut.

If you're into the Star Wars Expanded Universe, then I definitely recommend "Star Wars: Legacy". It's set about 120 years after "Return of the Jedi", but despite the lack of any characters you know, it retains that Star Wars feel.

More
25 Apr 2009 22:44 #26971 by Shellhead
BradH wrote:

I second most of the stuff that's already been suggested, although I think that Alan Moore is more hit and miss than people seem to realise. Of course, the same could be said of any artist frequently labelled "A Genius".

If you're into Lovecraft/Cthulhu, then I recommend "Lovecraft" by Hans Rodionoff and Keith Giffen. It blends a biography of Lovecraft in with his fiction. And I am a Lovecraft nut.

Moore wrote a two-issue mini for Avatar Comics called The Courtyard. I bought both issues. The first issue seemed kind of lame, a name-dropping cakewalk on the periphery of the Cthulhu Mythos. Still, it had an intriguing air of decay, some noir style, and so I kept going. The second issue was more of the same, at first. Then WHAM, Moore blindsided me with a shocking twist that plunged the story into madness. And more importantly, Moore suddenly displayed unusual insight into Lovecraft's work, far beyond anything that August Derleth ever imagined. It was cool, and I recommend it to any fan of Lovecraft's work. The artwork was decent, too, though I don't remember the artist offhand.

More
26 Apr 2009 11:17 #26988 by metalface13

If I had to pick a single great work in the comics medium, it would be Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, by Hayao Miyazaki. You may have seen the animated film by the same name, but the movie is only a small fraction of the sprawling epic that comprises the comics version. Nausicaa is the Lord of the Rings of the comic book medium, and I do not make that claim lightly. A staggering accomplishment at every level. The only English edition that's currently easy to find is seven volumes long and reads right-to-left, but at least it's in English.

I don't read much manga, but I really enjoyed the Akira comics. WAY better than the anime movie. It makes much more sense and Akira is actually in it.

More
26 Apr 2009 14:44 - 26 Apr 2009 14:44 #27001 by Almalik
Nausicca and Akira are both good reads. I've got Nausicaa collected in four left to right volumes.

One more I'd recommend to people is called Dungeon, by Sfarr and Trondheim. It's published in France, and the English volumes follow about a year behind. It's sort of a sword an sorcery parody with anthropomorphic animals (but not in a cutesy way). The books take place at different times throughout the Dungeon's existence (early years, zenith, and twilight). Not for everyone, but I really enjoy them.
Last edit: 26 Apr 2009 14:44 by Almalik.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.154 seconds