October 09, 2023
2550 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2746 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about other nerd culture stuff in here.

Captain America Reborn?

More
16 Jun 2009 09:57 #32268 by Juniper
Why must comics suck? I was hoping they'd keep Bucky around a little longer. Maybe it will turn out to be the "evil" 1950s Captain America, not the original, who is the subject of the "Reborn" series. Not likely, but one can hope.

I know that Marvel's editors need to revive the character in advance of the movie release, but they also need to occasionally tell a story with a satisfying -- and permanent -- ending.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Jun 2009 10:26 #32269 by Shellhead
Comic books are just a medium, comparable to film or books in story-telling potential. Sadly, it seems that the longer a given comic book character is around, the greater the chance that character will change beyond all recognition, especially when written by a variety of writers over the years.

Superhero comics are particularly problematic, because they emphasize unrealistic and even fantastic levels of violence, but can't afford to permanently lose popular characters. So guys like Cap keep dying and coming back, even after it becomes ridiculous:

filingcabinetofthedamned.blogspot.com/20...with-fisticuffs.html

Here's a choice excerpt from that link:

"Eighth D&R: In his most embarrassing death, Cap is killed by a group of very old Nazi farts in a subdivision in New Jersey who had built some missile-thingy. The story was supposed to be laden with symbolism and weight, but it felt as silly as this recap.

"When: Captain America, vol. 3 #50 (2002)

"Significance: Not much. There was a bit of “oh, no, the Symbol of America and all that is Good and Peachy is dead!” wailing, as per usual. Captain America vol. 3 was cancelled with #50 and rebooted as Captain America, vol. 4 a few months later, his “death” in New Jersey ignored."

Btw, "D&R" stands for Death and Resurrection.

More
16 Jun 2009 13:12 #32280 by metalface13
Shellhead wrote:

Comic books are just a medium, comparable to film or books in story-telling potential. Sadly, it seems that the longer a given comic book character is around, the greater the chance that character will change beyond all recognition, especially when written by a variety of writers over the years.

Superhero comics are particularly problematic, because they emphasize unrealistic and even fantastic levels of violence, but can't afford to permanently lose popular characters. So guys like Cap keep dying and coming back, even after it becomes ridiculous

I'd say this is really only problematic with DC and Marvel. None of the other, small publishers do this. Then, they don't really have comic series that spawn 50 years either.

That's why I don't really like any of the mainstream comics from the Big Two. I can't deal with all the cross-comic storylines, major events, and the inability of characters to stay dead.

More
16 Jun 2009 13:25 #32282 by Mr MOTO
Replied by Mr MOTO on topic Re:Captain America Reborn?
If the major publishers don't kill off a prominent character they pull the 'reboot' and just start over with a rehashed origin for them so that the collectors can buy yet another issue #1.

In some ways I see that they have to do this to keep interest but in other ways I'd just rather they just keep telling the story and maintain some level of consistency in storylines.

I find it hard to justify the purchase of any comic these days with their outrageous price per issue. Yes, the art is better. Yes, the paper stock is acid free and improved. But they seem to be trying to lose their younger audiences for good by pricing them out of the market.

More
16 Jun 2009 13:41 #32287 by metalface13
Mr MOTO wrote:

If the major publishers don't kill off a prominent character they pull the 'reboot' and just start over with a rehashed origin for them so that the collectors can buy yet another issue #1.

In some ways I see that they have to do this to keep interest but in other ways I'd just rather they just keep telling the story and maintain some level of consistency in storylines.

Sometimes I think the storylines get so convoluted that they need a reboot. But again, that's why I steer away from them.

More
16 Jun 2009 14:28 #32289 by Almalik
Replied by Almalik on topic Re:Captain America Reborn?
Man, I still have to get around to reading the omnibus of the issues leading up to his death.

More
16 Jun 2009 15:57 #32294 by Jason Lutes
Name-dropping time: Ed Brubaker's an old friend of mine and I'm going to be hanging out with him this weekend at HeroesCon in Charlotte. Apparently Marvel had always planned to bring Steve Rogers back, they just postponed his return because Bucky proved more popular than they had expected. Ed has a tough job, because he's got to write within the event framework Marvel sets up for him, while making the stories as compelling as possible. You should hear the stories about the continuity meetings they have to go through to make sure every little detail matches up with the canon across their lines -- it's nuts.

The big publishers will never have the guts to actually kill off a top-tier hero because those are their cash cows, and you don't sacrifice a cash cow.

More
16 Jun 2009 16:43 #32300 by vandemonium
Jason Lutes wrote:

Name-dropping time: Ed Brubaker's an old friend of mine and I'm going to be hanging out with him this weekend at HeroesCon in Charlotte. Apparently Marvel had always planned to bring Steve Rogers back, they just postponed his return because Bucky proved more popular than they had expected. Ed has a tough job, because he's got to write within the event framework Marvel sets up for him, while making the stories as compelling as possible. You should hear the stories about the continuity meetings they have to go through to make sure every little detail matches up with the canon across their lines -- it's nuts.

The big publishers will never have the guts to actually kill off a top-tier hero because those are their cash cows, and you don't sacrifice a cash cow.

Oh wow... how awesome! Say "hi" from Van - can you ask him to poke Joey da Q for me for Spiderman One More day? That would be awesome. I have already bitched to Bendis about it on Facebook. He seemed rather unconcerned with my well reasoned arguement of: "it sucks"

- Anyhoo...

re: Cap - there had been hints pretty much from the time he "died." I followed along for a few issues before and after his death.

On the one hand I understand it IS just comics. Put it would be cool to see a death mean something for once. Junes, I don't think they'll ditch Bucky. I guess we shall see what happens.

So long as Steve didn't make a deal with the devil, I'll reserve judgment...

More
16 Jun 2009 17:45 #32306 by metalface13
Jason Lutes wrote:

Wow, that's cool Brubaker is one of my favorite comic writers, Criminal and Sleeper are both fantastic.

More
16 Jun 2009 17:47 #32307 by Juniper
Replied by Juniper on topic Re:Captain America Reborn?
vandemonium wrote:

Oh wow... how awesome! Say "hi" from Van - can you ask him to poke Joey da Q for me for Spiderman One More day? That would be awesome. I have already bitched to Bendis about it on Facebook. He seemed rather unconcerned with my well reasoned arguement of: "it sucks"

It could have been worse, based on the rumors I'd heard from a very reliable source. Much, much worse. Spider-man still has some supporting characters who have stayed dead, at least. Joe Q had contemplated making some changes in Brand New Day that didn't ultimately see print.

vandemonium wrote:

Junes, I don't think they'll ditch Bucky. I guess we shall see what happens.

Steve Rogers' revival will be less of an anticlimax if Bucky dies at the same time. Especially if that was Red Skull's plan all along: to make Cap witness Bucky's death *again.*

More
16 Jun 2009 17:53 #32309 by Shellhead
Juniper wrote:

Steve Rogers' revival will be less of an anticlimax if Bucky dies at the same time. Especially if that was Red Skull's plan all along: to make Cap witness Bucky's death *again.*

Brubaker is a strong writer, but I think that he picked the wrong story to tell. Death is already too cheap and meaningless in the Marvel Universe, and adding another D&R to Cap's tally just underlines the problem.

If Bucky dies soon, fans will shrug and roll their eyes. Dead? You mean, dead like Cap was dead? Or is this more of a dead like Jean Grey or Wonder Man? Or perhaps dead like Norman Osborn or Aunt May or, um, Bucky?

More
22 Jun 2009 14:56 #32675 by cold_fuzion
Let him just stay dead already!!! I was against him dying to begin with, but sweet monkey jeebus on a pogo stick am I sick of the nonstop string of resurrections in comics.

Leave him dead!!

More
22 Jun 2009 17:23 #32715 by Almalik
Replied by Almalik on topic Re:Captain America Reborn?
Other than Gwen Stacy, what main characters have actually stayed dead?

More
22 Jun 2009 17:41 - 22 Jun 2009 17:43 #32716 by ChristopherMD
COMING SOON!

From comics legend, Alan Moore...

The Comedian returns!

in

iTIMES
Last edit: 22 Jun 2009 17:43 by ChristopherMD.

More
22 Jun 2009 17:55 #32717 by Shellhead
Almalik wrote:

Other than Gwen Stacy, what main characters have actually stayed dead?

Actually, a clone of Gwen Stacy showed up less than two years (our time) after her death. Only (Uncle) Ben Parker has stayed dead, and since his death was part of Spider-man's origin, he will most likely stay dead.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.252 seconds