October 09, 2023
2534 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2738 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about other nerd culture stuff in here.

Attack of the B Movies Starts Thursday

More
20 Jul 2009 13:08 - 20 Jul 2009 13:12 #35625 by ubarose
The Showcase Cinema chain shows old B movies from the 50's and 60's during the summer. Double features on Thursday nights for $5. We are going to Devil Girl from Mars this Thursday. And if the Spawn and her cousin Ghost can stand it, staying for The Bride and the Beast.

Here's a link schedule: Attack of the B Movies Schedule

Here's a link to the participating locations: Attack of the B Movies Locations[/url
Last edit: 20 Jul 2009 13:12 by ubarose.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Jul 2009 14:17 - 20 Jul 2009 14:19 #35632 by southernman
Some things the US just do 100% right - that looks so much fun for a night out.

... And if it was done in the UK you can guarantee you would be raped at the ticket box- what kind of prices are you looking at here ?
Last edit: 20 Jul 2009 14:19 by southernman.

More
20 Jul 2009 14:27 #35635 by metalface13
Oh, man. That sounds awesome. Too bad it's not happening around here.

More
20 Jul 2009 14:28 #35636 by ubarose
Southernman wrote:

- what kind of prices are you looking at here ?

$5 for the double feature!

Also, before the movies start, they have trivia games to win movie posters. The Spawn won a cool one last year.

More
20 Jul 2009 14:42 #35640 by southernman
ubarose wrote:

Southernman wrote:

Also, before the movies start, they have trivia games to win movie posters. The Spawn won a cool one last year.

OK Uba - you're savvy enough to know that the deal is you DON'T tell me the price if it is astoundingly astonishing and you get extras, but just make something moderate up !

More
20 Jul 2009 14:52 #35641 by ubarose
Southernman wrote:

ubarose wrote:

Southernman wrote:

OK Uba - you're savvy enough to know that the deal is you DON'T tell me the price if it is astoundingly astonishing and you get extras, but just make something moderate up !

Yeah, but popcorn is like $10, and drinks are $5. Does that make you feel a little better?

More
20 Jul 2009 14:58 #35643 by Michael Barnes
We've got a theater here in Atlanta, a little independent joint that's been around for like 50 years, that does a couple of fun revivals a week...they have a "splatter tuesday" thing where they show stuff like Lucio Fulci films and crap 80s slasher stuff. They were showing XANADU for a couple of weeks last year. They do some kind of big spook show once a month with an old-timey vaudeville stage show and a horror host presenter.

Stuff like that is cool, but I never go. I dunno, the thrill of seeing PHANTASM in the theater peters out when I'm spending $20 for my wife and I to go...leaving the awesome DVD at home.

The problem with a lot of that 50's B-movie stuff is that its boring, I can't imagine sitting through a lot of those kinds of films and actually watching them...I guess if you have a big, rowdy audience heckling the movie that would be fun.

More
20 Jul 2009 15:11 #35646 by NeonPeon
Awesome...A theater by me has "Summer Camp" - campy movies each weekend night, eventually culminating in...

More
20 Jul 2009 15:18 #35648 by Michael Barnes
SUSPIRIA is one of the all time great horror films, that's worth seeing in a theater if they've got a good print. It's really a masterpiece, and it has one of the greatest soundtracks of any movie ever.

SPIDER BABY is fucking awesome. It was directed by Jack Hill, who's better known for the blaxploitation stuff he did with Pam Grier. It's very much a Charles Addams-style gothic comedy, very ahead of its time in terms of the "crazy cannibal family" genre. It's impossible to imagine a Tim Burton ever happening without that picture.

More
20 Jul 2009 15:21 #35649 by southernman
ubarose wrote:

Yeah, but popcorn is like $10, and drinks are $5. Does that make you feel a little better?

A bit (sniff) - your popcorn is 50% more but drinks are probably the same.

More
20 Jul 2009 15:47 #35657 by Michael Barnes
A bit (sniff) - your popcorn is 50% more but drinks are probably the same.

We went to go see the new Potter picture last night. Tickets were $10.50 a piece, a "#1 combo" which was a large drink and a large popcorn was $12.50. A small drink, which was literally like half a pint, was $3.50. Bottled water, $5. A prepackaged soft pretzel (microwaved on premises) was $5.50.

More
20 Jul 2009 15:50 #35660 by NeonPeon
Michael Barnes wrote:

SUSPIRIA is one of the all time great horror films, that's worth seeing in a theater if they've got a good print. It's really a masterpiece, and it has one of the greatest soundtracks of any movie ever.

Yeah I'm a horror geek (well, you probably outgeek me) so of course I've seen and own Suspriria...Agreed about the soundtrack, as well as the atmosphere in general. It must be beautiful in a theater - I'm trying to imagine those vivid colors...sweet.

SPIDER BABY is fucking awesome. It was directed by Jack Hill, who's better known for the blaxploitation stuff he did with Pam Grier. It's very much a Charles Addams-style gothic comedy, very ahead of its time in terms of the "crazy cannibal family" genre. It's impossible to imagine a Tim Burton ever happening without that picture.

Cool! Thanks for the input.

More
20 Jul 2009 15:57 #35663 by Michael Barnes
The one time I saw SUSPIRIA in a theater it was terrible...the print was ragged as hell. I guess some people probably like the "seediness" of that, or the old timey feel, but it's a serious film that should be viewed in the best possible circumstances in order to fully appreciate the cinematography, sound, and color.

Nothing beats when I watched it for the first time, by myself, in the dark. On a laserdisc player. ;-)

More
20 Jul 2009 19:20 #35709 by moofrank
When the Cinema/Drafthouse idea was in its infancy, you would occasionally see some group of movie geeks take over, take over the giant split gun video projector and show....things.

Usually a feature, a short or two, and some of the ephemera stuff that turns up hidden on the Something Weird DVDs. (Carried over from the Something Weird tapes. If you found one you ALWAYS let it play past the end of the movie, because it would start into the good stuff.)

The last holdout I know of is the Alamo Drafthouse in Austin. The guy running Weird Wednesday has a blog. alamoweirdwednesday.blogspot.com/
I've so always wanted to go.

More
20 Jul 2009 19:48 #35712 by Space Ghost
Frank -- I highly recommend the Alamo Drafthouse in Austin. We went there with my sister a couple of years ago and it was a really good experience -- I can't remember what we saw, but the atmosphere was great.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.166 seconds