October 09, 2023
2545 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2739 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about other nerd culture stuff in here.

Summer Movie Rentals

More
25 Jul 2009 01:46 #36212 by KingPut
Summer Movie Rentals was created by KingPut
I don't watch as many movies in the summer as in the winter but I still seem to work in about 1 Netflick a week. So what have you been renting this summer? And what are you planning to rent soon?

For me I started watching Lost season 1. I've watched season 1 disks 1 through 4 so far. This seems to fill the gap once BSG finished.

Twilight just came in the mail. I never saw it. But for some reason I'm not that excited about seeing it.

I plan on putting the Watchman directors cut at the top of list. I've wanted to watch this again ever since I saw it in the theaters.

My new years resolution was to play and watch a bunch of war movies. I've watch a bunch of war movies this year including watching Band of Brothers twice. So at least I've kept one new years resolution this year.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Jul 2009 01:59 #36213 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic Re:Summer Movie Rentals
We watched The Call of Cthulhu tonight. It was really good.

We have Godzilla: Final Wars and Red Dwarf out also. I have a bunch of horror movies at the top of my Q. I think Dog Soldiers is next.

Summer is the time for watching Monster Movies and Horror Flicks. It's like going to the drive in, but without the damn bugs.

More
25 Jul 2009 02:35 #36215 by Bulwyf
Replied by Bulwyf on topic Re:Summer Movie Rentals
A few nights ago we watched "The Bank Job" starring Jason Statham. It's based on the events of a 1971 London bank heist gone pear shaped after the robbers discover some blackmail materials better left untouched. I'm a big sucker for caper movies and this is one of the better ones I've seen in a long time. The casting was great and the look into the underworld of 1970's London reminded me of some great late 60's/early 70's movies. I'd recommend it.

-Will

More
25 Jul 2009 03:03 #36217 by Mr Skeletor
Replied by Mr Skeletor on topic Re:Summer Movie Rentals
KingPut wrote:

I plan on putting the Watchman directors cut at the top of list. I've wanted to watch this again ever since I saw it in the theaters.

Just watched this. Holy fuck is it good. The extra stuff fits in seamlessly and make what was already the movie of the year even better.

More
25 Jul 2009 05:08 #36219 by southernman
Replied by southernman on topic Re:Summer Movie Rentals
KingPut wrote:

For me I started watching Lost season 1. I've watched season 1 disks 1 through 4 so far. This seems to fill the gap once BSG finished.

I've picked up some box sets for decent prices this year for viewing if the economic climate forces me to drop my cable for awhile.
I've just finished all of BSG - finally, although I have only found out about the 'webisodes' (only available in the US) and downloaded them all last week so they are next up - then I've got Lost 1-4 (as I only intermittently watched it until my cable provider lost rights to it), The Wire 1-4 (only seen half of season 1), and Deadwood (seen it all but just have to watch it again).
I've also heard good things about Friday Night Lights - any opinions from you yanks ?

I never got around to watching this (see my comment in the Summer movies thraed about being a very infrequent cinema attendee) so your's and Frank's comments has moved this back on my radar.

My new years resolution was to play and watch a bunch of war movies. I've watch a bunch of war movies this year including watching Band of Brothers twice. So at least I've kept one new years resolution this year.

That's a great series. I watched it when it came out and have the dvd set, have watched it again as it does its visits to the cable documentary channels but it is always a good watch.

ubarose wrote:

I just saw this dvd mentioned on a boardgame site over here last night - is this the one that was done just recently ? How long does it run for - the one I saw mentioned said 45 min so I wasn't sure if it was an actual movie or a misprint.

More
25 Jul 2009 11:47 - 25 Jul 2009 11:47 #36231 by ubarose
Southernman wrote:

ubarose wrote:

I just saw this dvd mentioned on a boardgame site over here last night - is this the one that was done just recently ? How long does it run for - the one I saw mentioned said 45 min so I wasn't sure if it was an actual movie or a misprint.

I think it was from 2005. 45 minutes sounds about right. It's done as a silent movie from the early 1920's. It capture's the essence of Lovecraft's horror better then any other Mythos based movie I've ever seen. They were also able to use some of his more difficult language, which would probably sound rather stilted if spoken aloud.
Last edit: 25 Jul 2009 11:47 by ubarose.

More
25 Jul 2009 11:52 #36232 by Bullwinkle
Replied by Bullwinkle on topic Re:Summer Movie Rentals
Southernman wrote:

I've also heard good things about Friday Night Lights - any opinions from you yanks?

I watched the first four or five episodes when it first came out. I thought it was well-produced, but a little heavy-handed, and maybe a little too soap-operaish for my taste. Anyway, I lost interest, so I didn't stick with it.

More
25 Jul 2009 17:59 #36242 by iguanaDitty
Replied by iguanaDitty on topic Re:Summer Movie Rentals
KingPut wrote:

Twilight just came in the mail. I never saw it. But for some reason I'm not that excited about seeing it.

This is a horrible movie. I highly recommend getting the Rifftrax for it ( www.rifftrax.com ). It still drags toward the end but it's much funnier.

More
26 Jul 2009 00:15 #36251 by lj1983
Replied by lj1983 on topic Re:Summer Movie Rentals
I've got coraline and watchmen up next on netflix. Watched Appaloosa, which was an odd western, more about relationships and less about the bad guy. not bad, but I can see why I had never heard of it.

and we've been streaming random movies through the xbox most nights.

tv wise Eureka is about the only show we've been watching, which just started up again.

we might re-watch deadwood now that we live in the area. might be kinda neat.

More
26 Jul 2009 00:32 #36252 by metalface13
Replied by metalface13 on topic Re:Summer Movie Rentals
Fringe is pretty good, I recommend that once it comes out on DVD. I also really enjoy Pushing Daisies, the second season just came out on DVD so I'm excited to watch that.

I've found Bones to be a really enjoyable show. Especially for a crime procedural.

Do I need to say it? Twin Peaks. If you haven't watched this yet, you certainly aren't a Bookhouse Boy.

More
26 Jul 2009 11:08 #36258 by ubarose
Godzilla: Final Wars was awesome. It is 2 hours of monster on monster action, interrupted by alien's fighting human mutants, space ships fighting monsters, motorcycle battles and big explosions.

More
26 Jul 2009 13:31 #36266 by KingPut
Replied by KingPut on topic Re:Summer Movie Rentals
Bullwinkle wrote:

Southernman wrote:

I've also heard good things about Friday Night Lights - any opinions from you yanks?

I watched the first four or five episodes when it first came out. I thought it was well-produced, but a little heavy-handed, and maybe a little too soap-operaish for my taste. Anyway, I lost interest, so I didn't stick with it.

What Bullwinkle. I watched the first 4-5 and gave up. It seemed like a sappy high school soap. I have no idea whether it got any better in season 2+.

I think I'll have to put Deadwood on my list after I get tired of watching Lost. The Wire is one of my favorite series of all time. I enjoyed season 1 of Deadwood but for some reason I never continued with the later seasons.

More
26 Jul 2009 15:14 #36273 by southernman
Replied by southernman on topic Re:Summer Movie Rentals
ubarose wrote:

Godzilla: Final Wars was awesome. It is 2 hours of monster on monster action, interrupted by alien's fighting human mutants, space ships fighting monsters, motorcycle battles and big explosions.

Sounds like a Steve "MyHamster'sNuclearMissileIsBiggerThanYours" Avery production.

More
26 Jul 2009 18:30 #36286 by iguanaDitty
Replied by iguanaDitty on topic Re:Summer Movie Rentals
The Calamari Wrestler. A guy in a plastic squid suit wrestles various other seafood. The first ever squid suit sex scene (quoth my friend: "My innocence!"). Monks. Pathos. Hilarious and surprisingly good.

More
26 Jul 2009 19:10 #36288 by Citadel
Replied by Citadel on topic Re:Summer Movie Rentals
The Wire is on UK TV at the moment and the Sopranos is on BT Vision. Both series are well worth watching. I'd also recommend The Prisoner, which I saw on DVD a few months back.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.176 seconds