October 09, 2023
2546 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2743 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about other nerd culture stuff in here.

The INCREDIBLE HULK thread

More
15 Jun 2008 08:47 #7653 by RKFade
What the heck? There's no Hulk thread here yet? Fine, I'll make one.

Did anyone else enjoy it for what it was? Yes, the tastemakers will soon be here to tell us it "had no bite", "sucked", "no substance", "lame as Iron Man", "CGI whah whah whah". Someone will doubtless mention how it "has no soul", unlike some obscure indie flick that none of us have ever heard of. I loved it though. It was fun, action-packed, and made me forgot about work and life for a couple hours. It helps that I have a man-crush on Edward Norton. (Man-crushes are completely heterosexual (I think? (I feel confused))).

I love the build-up to the Avengers franchise. Marvel's on to $omething. I only wish DC could pull it together in the same manner and could get past their scattered licensing probs.

I also loved the "homages" to the old tv-show. The first shot of the glaring, green eyes in the shadows was great.

Still looking forward to Batman, Hellboy, Mummy, and a few others. What a great summer.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Jun 2008 12:28 - 15 Jun 2008 12:33 #7656 by bfkiller
I thought it was pretty bland in every aspect: uncharismatic lead performances, forgettable music, special effects that don't seem to have advanced in the 5 years since we first saw the Hulk on the big screen... I liked the fight with Abomination but little else left any kind of impression. So I didn't appreciate it for what it was because the only thing it strived for was to be exciting and I thought it was boring.

I'm not a big fan of Ang Lee's Hulk, but at least it took some chances and didn't just fill-in-the-blanks of the super hero formula. It was much more visually interesting and had deeper characterization (read: some characterization) than the reboot, which was a complete dud when Hulk wasn't smashing shit up.

I only wish DC could pull it together in the same manner and could get past their scattered licensing probs.

Maybe I'm wrong, but doesn't Warner Bros. own the rights to every DC character? It should be relatively easy for them to jump-start the JLA. I don't know what the WB's problem is, but they're definitely missing out on the fad when the smart money says they should be cashing in.
Last edit: 15 Jun 2008 12:33 by bfkiller.

More
15 Jun 2008 16:44 #7657 by RKFade
re: DC / WB license "problems" . . . admittedly, I only know what other people on the internet tell me. I've often seen posts about DC saying "well, a true Justice League movie will never happen b/c X owns movie lisence A and Y owns movie lisence B and yada yada." Maybe someone who knows more about it can fill in or tell me it's complete BS.

I think the CGI did look better than Ang's Hulk, but only slightly. There is going to be a "celing", you know, where special effects aren't going to GET any more "special" because REAL is REAL. Not there yet, but it's close. Currently, there's always moments where it seems to look real and then there's these "wait a minute" moments where your brain screams at you "THIS ISN'T REAL!!!" Part of the problem, of course, is the unbelievability of the things being CGI'd. CGI a random person or car into a street scene and we'd probably never catch it. But I could see the HULK HIMSELF walk smash my house and my brain would probably still tell me "THIS ISN'T REAL!!!"

More
15 Jun 2008 18:42 #7659 by benny lava
I just got back from watching it. I liked it, but not nearly as much as Iron Man. It definitely washed away the bad taste of Ang Lee's version, but it felt more like Act 1 of a larger story than a story all on it's own. I agree with the previous posts about the nice nods to the TV show and the comics.

Anybody think we'll see Tim Blake Nelson as the bad guy in the sequel?

P.S. There's nothing after the credits in this one.

More
15 Jun 2008 21:19 #7660 by bfkiller

Anybody think we'll see Tim Blake Nelson as the bad guy in the sequel?

The Leader would be one of the more likely villains they'd choose if they do a sequel but, since this one didn't really light the box office on fire this weekend (when accounting for production and marketing costs), I think the closest we'll get to a sequel is the Hulk's inclusion in the Avengers.

More
16 Jun 2008 09:20 #7664 by RKFade
benny lava wrote:

There was something that seemed like it was MEANT to be after the credits but was instead crammed in before. I guess the makers figure too many people don't sit through the credits. I wait through the credits of almost every movie I see . . . so it's disappointing to see the makers cater to Timmy and Johnny who can't wait 1 more minute because they have to get to . . . wherever people are in such a damn rush to get to as they bump asses and elbows herding their way out the door.

More
16 Jun 2008 10:14 #7666 by bfkiller
RKFade wrote:

benny lava wrote:

There was something that seemed like it was MEANT to be after the credits but was instead crammed in before. I guess the makers figure too many people don't sit through the credits. I wait through the credits of almost every movie I see . . . so it's disappointing to see the makers cater to Timmy and Johnny who can't wait 1 more minute because they have to get to . . . wherever people are in such a damn rush to get to as they bump asses and elbows herding their way out the door.

If it actually was one minute, it wouldn't be a problem, but I've sat through credits that have been 10+ minutes waiting for the nugget at the end and my reaction is almost always, "That's it?" (Matrix: Reloaded and Kill Bil Vol 1 both come to mind).

The easter eggs at the end of credits are as stupid as bonus tracks on CDs and tapes that you have to FF through 20 minutes of silence to get to. They're more of an annoyance than a treat.

More
16 Jun 2008 11:26 #7673 by Ken B.
I'll have a proper review tonight here on F:AT...we had several good articles over the weekend and I didn't want to trample on those with a movie review.

More
16 Jun 2008 17:12 - 16 Jun 2008 20:13 #7688 by RKFade
Cool, Ken!

If anyone wants to discuss the movie, please do it on Ken's excellent review page. I would just delete this thread, but it appears I can't.

fortressat.com/index.php?option=com_cont...view&id=342&Itemid=1
Last edit: 16 Jun 2008 20:13 by RKFade.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.371 seconds