October 09, 2023
2518 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2719 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Buy your army to crush your enemies.

Let's Talk Star Trek Attack Wing

More
20 May 2014 23:03 - 20 May 2014 23:04 #178541 by Bull Nakano
Harkening back to the trek ccg again, if you wanted to mix factions there, you'd have to play a treaty card, I could see this working in attack wing, costing some number of points and allowing ships from two factions and crews to fly together at no penalty.

Other than that I really wouldn't want to mix faction ships that didn't make sense (like a bajoran ship in a fed fleet). Wiz kids is too lose. I like the rules for using out of faction crew/upgrades a lot though.
Last edit: 20 May 2014 23:04 by Bull Nakano.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Nov 2014 12:09 #190900 by VonTush
Continuing my trend of thread Necromancy I summon...Attack Wing this time!

So right now ST:AW is going through a bit of a shake-up. Wizkids launched a rules forum to ask questions, after a few days and only a handful of questions answered they said they were going silent saying they'd be back in a week or so answering questions again.

Well yesterday was the day and boy did they make an appearance! Dozens of questions now have been answered, past rules decisions have been overrode and there's been some pretty substantial changes that are going to take quite a while to filter down through the forms and into the community.

What it seems like to me is that for the first time they're starting to answer questions and think more globally about how cards interact and if it is good for the game or not. After a year of pumping out dozens of cards each month they're finally reaping the mess they've sown. There's been a part of me that's felt like the game was heading towards an unwieldy mess heading towards implosion and hopefully after the dust settles we'll end up with a stronger game.

A few weeks ago they tossed out a band-aid type "fix" of putting a cap of 50 points per ship that was not well received. This go around though it really feels like they're making an effort to fix much of what was beginning to ail the game.

These next few weeks or months are going to be a mess though as info slowly trickles down the chain from the forum, to a FAQ/Errata Document, to players and follow up questions are asked. Might just have to tune out until the dust settles a bit and the next Organized Play event is scheduled.

What excites me most though is that The Borg have actually had decisions go against them, and that the Multi-Attack Cancelling Builds have been severely limited.

More
18 Nov 2014 12:57 #190910 by stormseeker75
Shame on them for not developing the game well, but kudos for at least fixing it.

More
18 Nov 2014 17:03 #190932 by RobertB
I liked ST:AW a lot, and my inner kid is tickled to death when I see the minis. The X-Wing pieces might look a little better, but for me Hardon Neckbeard's A-Wing isn't nearly as cool as Klingon Captain Koloth and his Tribble problems.

I guess my $500+ question is this: am I officially screwed here for organized play? When I do the math I'm looking at about that much for the complete set. My wife may divorce me, but I guess I can have the U.S.S. Reliant to keep me company.

More
18 Nov 2014 23:13 #190945 by VonTush
Do you need everything released to date to be competitive? No.
Does it help? Yes.

What it usually comes down to in the OP environment is in the end you have to kill your opponent. Rarely does anyone field the smaller ships because they die too easy, mid-range and up with a trend more towards the up. So you could start there and do pretty well.

If you focus your acquisitions with Feds and Borg that's largely where the meta game has gone right now. Feds give you tons of upgrades and since most everyone does cross-factioning they are very useful. Borg give you the best ships. Early in the game's release Klingons were very popular, then the Dominion started to round out and they had their moment, but currently Borg and Feds are where it is at. Romulans were never very popular especially as the line has grown, except for Cloaked Mine fleets which have gone out of style as of late. As far as the OP prize ships, there are a few that have one or two cards that are good, otherwise not needed but if you can find there can be uses for some things.

The Tiny-Prise, Voyager and Enterprise E will give you a lot of good viable options. Two Spheres or a Tactical Cube (with some Fed upgrades) will get you going in the right direction. You have to obtain, through eBay or some other source, the Flagship and Fleet Captain upgrades, they add extra upgrade slots or stats and virtually every top tier fleet uses one of those because of the additional options they open up to outfit a ship. Most of the other resources are Ok but those are in 90% of all fleets it seems.

Romulans or any of the other races outside of the core 5 can wait as well.

But I guess to answer your question, with a little smarts behind your purchases you can field a competitive OP fleet as long as you can fly it worth a damn.

More
18 Nov 2014 23:20 #190946 by Gary Sax
Also, I would be on the lookout for people looking to dump their large lots at this point in the game's life... my guess is there are some deals to be had out there since the game isn't a new hot title.

More
18 Nov 2014 23:34 #190947 by VonTush
That is very true. I know once the Borg started to rise in power a lot of people ditched the game.

Actually, thinking about it, I still have a lot of extra stuff kicking around when I scored a big trade with a local guy, so if you're interested, I can get you going right if you are looking to get into the game via trade. I likely have a starter and maybe a dozen or so ships to trade (I really need to take inventory). Plus I have some extra Resources like a Flagship and others that I'd be willing to trade (of course money works just as well).

And if my FLGS owner will get off his ass and come up with some terms for the OP kits since that's died off in his store I could have some extra stuff there. So shoot me a TM if you are interested and we can see about working something out.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.157 seconds