October 09, 2023
2691 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2859 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about collectible card here.

Hearthstone Players!

More
29 Apr 2015 20:35 #201657 by Not Sure
Replied by Not Sure on topic Hearthstone Players!
The art in Hearthstone is perfect, and is matched with the sounds. Of course it's all recycled.

Playing Hearthstone sometimes makes me want to got back and play World of Warcraft again (it's been like five years, and I'm too old and busy for that shit, but still...)

Jack's got good advice about picking one or two classes, but I could never do it. I just hoard stuff for all of them, with the exception of Goldens, which I melt down for dust ASAP. It seems like I can never figure out which class I like.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Apr 2015 23:00 #201659 by MacDirk Diggler
Damn. I don't want to hijack Jebs nice Hearthstone thread with another pissing contest with Barnes about Shadow Era...
HOWEVER,

Barnes, if you are being honest you will admit your experience with SE was limited and when the game was essentially in its Alpha state. And that you have not seen it in over two years or more. And that you really don't know much at all about it. And that whatever your reservations are about the game, being as articulate and well written as you are, can't be defined specifically.

For instance, please try and explain the difference between SE version of the Arena, and Hearthstone. Ah, but you can't, can you?

SE wasn't released by a big game corporation like Hearthstone and hence started small. But it's now several years in and the Meta game is far far beyond what Barnes saw all those years ago.

Anyway, forget about SE. If Barnes says it's no good he must be right. I found out about it from reading Drakes Flames. Who you gonna believe, Barnes or Drake? Barnes proved this AM he doesn't know the difference between well sculpted minis and 2 cent toy soldiers.......

More
29 Apr 2015 23:32 #201660 by QPCloudy
Replied by QPCloudy on topic Hearthstone Players!
I'm really glad someone resurrected this thread. I couldn't find it.

Since this game is FINALLY working on my tablet, I'm available to play again. Ascension as well.

More
29 Apr 2015 23:33 #201661 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Hearthstone Players!
Dude, I tried Shadow Era again after you praised it back when Hearthstone first came out. In fact, I tried it again BECAUSE of what you wrote about it. I just could not get into it at all. I didn't get deep into it or anything like that, no. But I played it enough to see what was going on, what the mechanics were, what the construction would be like and so forth. And that was the second time I gave it a shot, the first time was back in what would have been the early days, I suppose. It just didn't feel as compelling as Hearthstone- but some of that could be because SE seems like a more complex game that is probably less derivative overall, truth be told.

But now this...
In Hearthstone if you have 6 mana available and have a 6 mana creature in hand there usually isn't much to think about.

Is pure poppycock. It is like the essential oil of poppycock. It's refined, distilled poppycock.

If I have 6 mana and a 6 mana creature, I may have to think about:

- If the creature has a Battlecry effect that I want to use on something on the table or if it would be better served next turn.
- If the creature has a high attack value or ability if it will put pressure on the other player to respond.
- If the other player does respond, what kinds of responses will they make (removal, combat, direct damage, etc.)
- The other player's class and what cards are available to them- and If they've already played two of a potentially threatening card
- What minions are on the table on both sides and how they interact/counteract with the one I'm playing
- If waiting for the next turn to play it and a 0/1 cost Taunt minion is worth the wait
- If the other player has Taunt minions how effectively I'll be able to remove them to make the most of the 6-cost minion I'm holding
- Deathrattle- is it something useful that late into the game or could it negatively affect my position?
- Do I have initiative/control or am I in a reactionary/defensive posture?
- Would I be better served by playing lower cost cards on this turn rather than the one 6-cost minion?
- Will the next card I draw be something that augments, protects or invalidates that 6-cost minion?
- What is my life total right now and how many effective turns do I have before I'm dead?
- If the 6-cost minion has Charge, is it going to have significant impact?
- Secrets- if the other player has a secret that counters the Minion spell or removes it when it attacks, I might be wasting the card, the mana and my turn
- How the card augments other cards based on keywords (i.e. +1/+1)

There's all kinds of things to consider...it is NEVER just "play the big card". Hearthstone is very much a "know when to hold 'em" game.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith

More
29 Apr 2015 23:40 #201662 by rocketkiwi
Replied by rocketkiwi on topic Hearthstone Players!
Had a promising Hunter arena run (4-0 vs Mages!) bomb out at 5-3, but I opened a Sneed's Old Shredder from the pack. VALUE!
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
30 Apr 2015 02:48 #201665 by MacDirk Diggler
Dude, I am still not convinced you gave the game a fair shake. I suspect you tried a few more plays, got your ass hammered , and quit.

So how is SE version of Arena different than Hearthstone?
What hero class uses a mechanic analogous to Hearthstone "Secret" spells?
What is the secret mechanic called in SE?

If you can't answer these simple questions, then it proves you didn't give it a fair shot.

More
30 Apr 2015 02:50 - 30 Apr 2015 02:51 #201666 by MacDirk Diggler
Double post
Last edit: 30 Apr 2015 02:51 by MacDirk Diggler.

More
30 Apr 2015 09:28 #201671 by Egg Shen
Replied by Egg Shen on topic Hearthstone Players!

jeb wrote: If you want to Add Friends or be added, you need to send the Battletag and the #, like jeblucas#1574. Here's our current list:

• jeblucas#1574
  • Jackwraith#1816
  • GameTekGuy#1675
  • NotSure#1314
  • QPCloudy#1141

You don't need to be playing forever to have those juiced deck--you need to have been playing for about six months. I started in October and have plenty of good shit. I did spend $50 on the Adventures, and each of those gets you ~6 Legendaries plus some Epics, Rares, &c.

The vast majority of my collection is from packs earned via Arena, quests, or spare gold once I'd accrued enough to keep my Arena habit going.

Oops...my Battletag ID is MRNad15#1538

Yeah, I guess it wouldn't take too long to amass a decent collection of rares and whatnot. I'm still kind of fluttering in the deep end of the pool trying not to sink lol. I'm slowly getting the hang of it all. It's a great game. Like Barnes said, it's almost perfectly designed.

So a quick question that has sort of been answered, but I'm still kinda murky on...what are the major difference between the GvG packs and the classics? I've been picking up all classics at this point, but I wasn't sure when I should make the switch.

More
30 Apr 2015 10:18 #201675 by Gregarius
Replied by Gregarius on topic Hearthstone Players!
I'm really diggin' this thread, keep it up guys!

I started playing a couple of months ago when I got my iPad. I was intimidated because I felt like I was too far behind the curve to be competitive. It didn't matter, though, because the game is just fun. I absolutely hate getting smacked down by those killer decks with nothing but Legendaries, but every once in a while I beat one with better play (or luck of the draw) and that makes it all worthwhile.

I'm still dedicated to not spending a dime, but I get sorely tempted by all those great cards. I did save up 700 g to buy the first Naxxaramas thing, but I'm not sure that was worth it. I have no rational reason for not spending the money other than my opposition to "pay to win."

I've recently become absolutely terrible at the Arena, though. I started out decent, usually getting 2-4 victories and hoped to improve. But the last few times I've been 0-3. It's humiliating. How can I be getting worse at this game?

In ranked play I'm at 18.2, but I don't spend a lot of effort on that. I usually just like to experiment in casual play (and usually get trounced).

More
30 Apr 2015 10:50 #201680 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Hearthstone Players!

rocketkiwi wrote: Had a promising Hunter arena run (4-0 vs Mages!) bomb out at 5-3, but I opened a Sneed's Old Shredder from the pack. VALUE!

The Conservation of Greatness. Not a great run, but the pack makes up for it!

I've got 60/60/40 gold quests today for Paladin, so see me get wrecked in Casual as I try to squeeze out some wins. I want to play Dragon Paladin, but it dies like a dog in the aggressive Casual room. I'll probably switch to Eboladin (think White Weenie if you played MtG.)

Arena is very hot and cold. I have been super tryhard at Arena and my best run is still nine wins. I had back to back 0-3s a couple of weeks ago. My profile here shows my last 12 runs and you can see it's volatile My profile here shows my last 12 runs and you can see it's volatile .

@EggShen: GvG is an expansion and has a "Mech" theme. These are the packs you get from Arena runs (every Arena run gets you a GvG pack, and some smattering of other rewards depending on your # of wins). So if paying 100 gold to buy packs, it's better to get Classic. The Classic set is denser with good cards anyway if you are building a collection.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.387 seconds