October 09, 2023
2514 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2713 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about collectible card here.

Hearthstone Players!

More
20 May 2015 23:45 #202767 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Hearthstone Players!
My daughter opened a golden Cairne Bloodhoof today and literally danced around. Hearthstone is awesome.

We watched Day[[9] on Twitch laddering with Dragon Hunter, streaking from 10.x to 8.x before taking a loss. Not sure what the list is, but a lot of games come down to Gladiator's Longbow!

I have been successful with Erasmus B. Dragon on the ladder. It can at least hang with smorc and can just serve a bunch of other archetypes. In the Casual room, I have been playing Resuwrecked . This deck isn't viable on the ladder due to all the aggression, but it is so crazy fun. If you make it to turn 6 or so with ~15 life, you should be all set. Things get crazy.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 May 2015 10:05 #202780 by Gregarius
Replied by Gregarius on topic Hearthstone Players!
I love playing themed decks, too. I have a Druid deck filled with huge cards, but I'm legendary-poor as well.

I just built a Rogue deck stuffed with Pirates (I call her Anne Bonny) that I'm having a ton of fun with. It plays pretty well, but wouldn't stand a chance against serious competition.

More
21 May 2015 12:20 #202786 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Hearthstone Players!
Yeah, theme decks are really fun...but failures. WHen I first started, that's all I tried to do. Just doesn't work.

I think the mech thing works now, and the dragon thing kind of works if you have the right cards. Mayhaps pirates and ninjas will make those themes viable.

Legendaries...man...you read Hearthstone forums and it sounds like everybody has everything. I have like maybe four or five. They're so damn rare, and too damn expensive to craft.

Then you get one from a booster and it's a sorry one, and you have that "should I disenchant" dilemma...

More
21 May 2015 12:36 #202789 by Jackwraith
Replied by Jackwraith on topic Hearthstone Players!

Gregarius wrote: I love playing themed decks, too. I have a Druid deck filled with huge cards, but I'm legendary-poor as well.

I just built a Rogue deck stuffed with Pirates (I call her Anne Bonny) that I'm having a ton of fun with. It plays pretty well, but wouldn't stand a chance against serious competition.

I love Pirate decks. I was so geeked to see Pirates in the GvG preview last fall and immediately re-assembled my Paladin attempt, which failed. So then I went with Rogue, and it failed. So then I tried Warrior and it burned down, fell over, and then sank into the swamp. Pirates are just too weak and, for some insane reason, the damn Parrot ISN'T a pirate. WTF?

More
21 May 2015 12:52 #202790 by jeb
Neither is Edwin Van Cleef! Is that even canonical? I heard he was one in WoW.

Salty Dog is the spoiler. If that guy was 6/5--whole different ballgame. Everyone can kill a 4 toughness guy.
Matched up my decent aggrish Priest deck against a Warrior @ 3-1 in Arena today. His deck was just sick! I saw almost all of it, pulling out the win at the end, but look at this suite of weapons:
  • 2x Death's Bite
  • 1x Arcanite Reaper
  • 1x Gorehowl
  • 1x Upgrade (which he used on Gorehowl)
  • 1x Ogre Warmaul (frown--he never swung with it though, it was endgame garbage.)
He also had Fen Creeper and Sen'jin Shieldmasta to hide behind, with Gadgetzan Auctioneer and 2x Acolyte of Pain for card draw. I stole his Gadgetzan with Shrinkmeister/Cabal Shadow Priest and flipped the game, but it was awesome. We friended after the match and I told him I would be a blemish on a 12 win deck. Turns out he went up against 2x Flamestrike, Alexstrazsa, Blizzard, Snowchugger, Water Elemental the next game and went out 4-3. That's Hearthstone.

More
21 May 2015 14:53 - 21 May 2015 15:02 #202800 by Stonecutter
Replied by Stonecutter on topic Hearthstone Players!
You can do some stuff with Pirates+Warrior or Pirates+Rogue but neither is as good as Rogue+Mech or Warrior+Warrior creatures.

I think of the races Mechs are probably the only truly viable option. Murlocks are probably second best, but I don't really see a situation in which they're better than Mechs.

I still don't think much of Dragons. Not enough options lower in the mana curve. Dragons need a butt kicking 1 or 2 drop that synergies with stuff that can come after it. Right now that card is the dragons egg, I guess? Doesn't do much for me. Dragons egg is just a shitty nerubian egg.

I was playing some last night and was able to get a new pack. Here was my pull

Needless to say I was pretty happy, even though I already have Greenskin. Thalnos is a good card and the 400 points for greenskin is pretty good.

I saved up so I could get Dr. Boom and Ragnaros, who I think are the two best neutral legendaries. Not sure where I'm going to go with my next crafted, thinking either Mal'Ganis or Archmage Antonidas.
Attachments:
Last edit: 21 May 2015 15:02 by Stonecutter.

More
21 May 2015 23:48 - 21 May 2015 23:49 #202813 by Not Sure
Replied by Not Sure on topic Hearthstone Players!
I finally bit the bullet and just crafted Boom. If they change him, there's always the buyback option, so it's a safer buy than anything else.

My deck opens continue to be flat-out garbage. I pulled a Legendary the other day, and it was Flame Leviathan, aka "Mage is good enough already". First one I've seen in who knows how long, and it totally sucks.

Arena Priest stalled out at 6-3. Lost to another Priest. I did manage to Shrinkmeister/Kodo both a Fen Creeper and a Shieldmasta in successive games. One ended up as bunch of surprise hits to his face, the other just forestalled my losing.
Last edit: 21 May 2015 23:49 by Not Sure.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
22 May 2015 09:35 - 22 May 2015 09:36 #202818 by Jackwraith
Replied by Jackwraith on topic Hearthstone Players!

jeb wrote: Neither is Edwin Van Cleef! Is that even canonical? I heard he was one in WoW.

Salty Dog is the spoiler. If that guy was 6/5--whole different ballgame. Everyone can kill a 4 toughness guy.

Van Cleef is actually the leader of the Defias Brotherhood, who aren't pirates but more like rebels/bandits. They rebuilt Stormwind after the second war (VanCleef is actually an engineer) but when the time came to pay the workers, the rulers reneged. So VanCleef encouraged a riot, which got all of them expelled from the city. Now they control nearby regions as a kind of criminal syndicate.

Even a 6/5 wouldn't change the fact that most of the Pirates just aren't durable enough to make decent decks with. A 3/3 taunter? A bunch of 2/1s, 1/2s, and 2/3s that have limited effect even with their Battlecries? They're just not going to work against even other tribes like Mechs (Spider Tank, Mech Yeti, Deathrattle effects/Spare Parts, etc.) They need either more beef or much bigger impact when they come into play and they have neither right now.

And Ship's Cannon isn't even a pirate!
Last edit: 22 May 2015 09:36 by Jackwraith.

More
22 May 2015 10:35 #202824 by airmarkus
Replied by airmarkus on topic Hearthstone Players!
I saw a story somewhere earlier that the next expansion could possibly be Pirates vs Ninjas. Boosting pirates sounds like a good idea to me and would hopefully flesh them out making pirate decks more viable.

More
22 May 2015 13:03 - 22 May 2015 13:08 #202833 by jeb
You know how this ends, right?

Warning: Spoiler!
Last edit: 22 May 2015 13:08 by jeb.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SebastianBludd, Black Barney, Jackwraith, engelstein, airmarkus

More
22 May 2015 15:27 #202839 by engelstein
Replied by engelstein on topic Hearthstone Players!
Nice! Once I had Gharzilla on board and the opponent played Goblin Blastmage for some reason.

Things did not go well for him...

More
23 May 2015 21:18 #202869 by stormseeker75
Replied by stormseeker75 on topic Hearthstone Players!
I had a great Arena run with a Mage. TONS of removal. I lost one because my connection dropped which sucked. I ended up 7-3 so I played again with my won gold and proceeded to go 0-3 as a Warlock. Just terrible cards.

More
26 May 2015 12:58 #202955 by rocketkiwi
Replied by rocketkiwi on topic Hearthstone Players!
Picked up 9 wins with a Priest on my Europe account (non-primary, just so I can get more runs in).

Arena rewards:
i.imgur.com/SxtnJr2.jpg

Pack rewards:
i.imgur.com/5UEnqP2.jpg

Of course.

More
26 May 2015 13:29 #202960 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Hearthstone Players!
Totally rampaging yesterday with this really dumb Paladin dragon deck...I built it thinking "this'll never work". I went like 8-10 with it. Mostly packed in every dragon card I had (all but Nefarian from BRM) and some things to buff them and the occasional infantryman up. Mostly did it just for fun, but then it was just stomping all comers. Obnoxious. It got me into Arena, where I promptly went 0-3 with the WORST Rogue deck quite possibly ever built. It was just heartbreaking. Draft after draft, just GARBAGE. A man only needs so many Saps, I mean come on. No combo fodder, no Gang Ups, only one Shadowstep, one Sharpsword Oil. The rest of the deck was like a couple of pirates, a stray Murloc, Jeeves and some other bullshit. I was so disheartened that I paid for another Arena ticket and made what I thought was an amazing Druid deck...that also went 0-3. Out of the award packs, 8 out of 10 cards were dupes. No legendaries.

HEARTHSTONE!
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, SebastianBludd

More
26 May 2015 14:07 #202965 by jeb
eSports!

I am losing about half my iPad games to disconnects now. Anyone want a quick win? Just make it turn eight against me and play a Shadowflame on a busy board. I will blink out for ten minutes.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 1.121 seconds