October 09, 2023
2701 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2866 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Any events, cons and meetups can be posted here. There is a link to our Member Map in your PROFILE menu.

finding/starting gaming group in UK - Nottingham

More
08 Apr 2009 13:32 #25480 by Joe_Richter
F:atties, I've been trying for a while now to find other people local to Nottingham to play boardgames with. TOS has a kinda Nottingham group but it's going nowhere fast and there's been no activity of that front for a while now. It seems silly to have to travel to another city just to play games and, as has been pointed out to me, I am a slacker and lazy. Any of y'all know of any Nottingham area groups, or do in fact any of you live in Nottingham (if so, my commiserations)?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Apr 2009 13:45 #25482 by Thaadd
(as the person pointing out he is indeed lazy)

Joe would also like suggestions on how to start organize a group without having an apartment big enough to host. How do brits approach bars or cafes to camp for hours being nerdy in public?

/joe's nagging friend

More
08 Apr 2009 13:51 #25483 by ChristopherMD
Is there a game store or a local university?

More
08 Apr 2009 14:17 #25493 by Joe_Richter
Mad Dog wrote:

Is there a game store or a local university?

I think that's part of the problem, there isn't in fact a specific game store in Nottingham, the closest being a forbidden planet with a single small shelf given over to board and RP games. May have something to do with having Games workshop HQ here (which, by the way, is a pretty good place to visit anyway. lifesize Space Marine statues, large dedicated and and theme decorated gaming area with 40+ tables, onsite shop and even a bar serving a local brew ale called Bugmans XXXX :D )

There are a couple of Uni's in Nottingham, which I could check. Not sure how though, as my Uni days are long behind me.

More
08 Apr 2009 14:25 - 08 Apr 2009 14:28 #25494 by Citadel
A lot of pubs and bars will be happy for the business monday to thursday. Best to find one that has a function room. Just go and ask if you could come and play boardgames on a weekly basis for free.

I ran a group in Glasgow. I'd say half of members came from seeing it advertised on BoardGameGeek and half came from word of mouth. That site is great for being a place where if you are interested in board games and start doing internet searches you would struggle to miss it.

Word of mouth is a very powerful way to get a group started. I know a friend got a bit disheartened by how Eurocentric the Glasgow group could be and just gathered some friends together and started an AT focussed group. I was amazed how quickly he got a fully functional group together. I think some of them were people he knew through comics and a fantasy and SF book group.

The university gaming society was a great suggestion. They aren't that likely to play much in the way of board games but you'll definitely get some regular gaming.

I am in Manchester now. I am guessing that would be a bit far for regular gaming. You should look out for StabCon in Stockport though. Two decent sized cons a year with plenty of AT.

Isn't the guy who does all the Gaslight diorama's on BGG in Nottingham or is that yourself?
Last edit: 08 Apr 2009 14:28 by Citadel.

More
08 Apr 2009 14:40 #25501 by Matt Thrower
Best I can offer is a miniatures gaming club based in Mansfield:
www.dragon-slayers.org.uk/news/news.php?subsection=news_latest
I know a couple of them from my Warhammer days, and they're good lads. How open they'd be to board games is another question entirely.

Alternatively you can come and game with me on a Monday night in Bath - should only be 2-3 hours each way for you, depending on traffic.

More
08 Apr 2009 14:53 - 08 Apr 2009 14:53 #25504 by ChristopherMD
Joe_Richter wrote:

There are a couple of Uni's in Nottingham, which I could check. Not sure how though, as my Uni days are long behind me.

If they have a games club I'd talk to them about space to play in at least. I don't know how stuff works in the UK, but here such a club would have a registered president and most likely have an ad on a bulletin board somewhere. You could also ask someone there about starting a game night for students if there isn't already one. Some friends and I used to play CCGs at a university even though we were never students there. They were happy to have more opponents for whatever game.
Last edit: 08 Apr 2009 14:53 by ChristopherMD. Reason: he fucking dick then bullshit

More
08 Apr 2009 14:53 #25505 by Citadel
Leicester has a war gaming club. I had a job interview in Leicester. www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/289355

More
09 Apr 2009 23:36 #25694 by Joe_Richter
MattDP wrote:

Best I can offer is a miniatures gaming club based in Mansfield:
www.dragon-slayers.org.uk/news/news.php?subsection=news_latest
I know a couple of them from my Warhammer days, and they're good lads. How open they'd be to board games is another question entirely.

Alternatively you can come and game with me on a Monday night in Bath - should only be 2-3 hours each way for you, depending on traffic.

Thanks for the offer, and I may take you up on it some other time if I may, but I can't do this monday (easter stuffs).

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.154 seconds