October 09, 2023
2703 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2868 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Any events, cons and meetups can be posted here. There is a link to our Member Map in your PROFILE menu.

Origins?

More
21 Jun 2009 18:00 #32614 by hancock.tom
Origins? was created by hancock.tom
I will only be able to make it up on Saturday. Anyone planning to be there?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Jun 2009 21:27 #32620 by Stephen Avery
Replied by Stephen Avery on topic Re: Origins?
Heya Tom, I'll definately be there. I'm rolling in late Wed and leaving Sunday. Though I will definately be bringing my trademark tanktops, you'll most likely find me sporting a superhero T-Shirt.(Oh yeah, that will definately stand out...) I'll try to hook up with ya in the board game room.

Steve"Packing now"Avery

More
21 Jun 2009 22:56 #32621 by hancock.tom
Replied by hancock.tom on topic Re: Origins?
I will be in the board game room most of the day I suspect. 60% of the people there will have on superhero shirts so I will just walk around until I hear you hitting on euro-babes with your FAT pickup lines.

More
21 Jun 2009 23:08 #32622 by emperorhand
Replied by emperorhand on topic Re: Origins?
I realize I'm not very well-known in the F:AT community (hell, not known at all), but I'll be there on Saturday. No board ribbon for me since I'm going with a group and we're planning on hitting the main hall for the day. I'm slightly disappointed, though: Flying Frog won't be there and Fantasy Flight doesn't ever demo their games. I really want to try Cosmic Encounter for the first time...

More
21 Jun 2009 23:22 - 22 Jun 2009 09:41 #32623 by The King in Yellow
Replied by The King in Yellow on topic Re: Origins?
You may not know me, but I know you, and I will be there, lurking, watching your every move, waiting to crush you and slap your flabby, nerd asses with moon-rocks.
The time draws near, and the stars are right.

(Oh, and why only Saturday, Mr. Hancock? C'mon it's only once a year - splurg a little)
Last edit: 22 Jun 2009 09:41 by The King in Yellow.

More
22 Jun 2009 20:34 #32725 by Stephen Avery
I'll rise to the challenge but I warn you- amongst my posse is the *original* King in Yellow Richard Launius. We'll Elder sign your ass before you can utter..

Zalgo.

Steve"Zalgo Lives!"Avery

More
22 Jun 2009 23:09 - 22 Jun 2009 23:09 #32733 by hancock.tom
I will be there in a WVU football jersey...... I heard through the grapevine that the Rio Grande giveaway is actually supposed to be good stuff this year
Last edit: 22 Jun 2009 23:09 by hancock.tom.

More
23 Jun 2009 16:10 #32840 by The King in Yellow
Replied by The King in Yellow on topic Re: Origins?
Tom,
That's correct to some degree regarding the givaway. Rio Grande sent CABS the same value of games but in a lesser quantity, so theoretically the games shipped are of a higher quality.
I've seen some of the games and just like last year, there's good ones mixed in with some clunkers, but I guess ya can't look a gift horse in the mouth.

More
23 Jun 2009 16:14 #32841 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Re: Origins?
emperorhand wrote:

...and Fantasy Flight doesn't ever demo their games. I really want to try Cosmic Encounter for the first time...

Sure they do. They even have custom-made table covers permanently imprinted with names, logos and play aids, which I've seen both at conventions and in storage at their HQ. Just the other day, Thaadd was telling me about a demo where they forgot to bring dice.

More
24 Jun 2009 08:08 #32886 by hancock.tom
The King in Yellow wrote:

Tom,
That's correct to some degree regarding the givaway. Rio Grande sent CABS the same value of games but in a lesser quantity, so theoretically the games shipped are of a higher quality.
I've seen some of the games and just like last year, there's good ones mixed in with some clunkers, but I guess ya can't look a gift horse in the mouth.

Too bad about the quantity- last year they had so much stuff that even after giving away as much as they could, CABS had enough to share with local cons. The Con in my town (Char-Con) got a huge pile of swag out of it and used it to generate a lot more interest in board gaming this year. It was a big deal for the smaller cons, anyone within a couple hours of Columbus benefited.

I will be easy to spot in a WVU football jersey.

More
28 Jun 2009 23:31 #33297 by Stephen Avery
Heya -Just back from Origins. I was able to play quite a few games with Chris Tandimier (a strange Aeon) and a few with Chris (a king in Yellow. Tom was tied up elsewhere and we never hooked up. I would have gladly played Cosmic Encounter with EmporersHand but didn't know how to locate him. I hope for hisdake he got to play it- hopefully with some fun peeps.

I'll blog a post Con report ASAP tomorrow. Now I must sleep...

Steve"DeadTired"Avery

More
30 Jun 2009 19:13 - 01 Jul 2009 16:03 #33488 by emperorhand
Replied by emperorhand on topic Re: Origins?
No, I didn't get a chance to try Cosmic Encounter. I've been going to Origins since 2003, but 99% of my time is spent in the exhibit hall since we only go on Saturday. If there isn't a demo available on the convention floor, I usually won't get a chance to play it.

However, I managed to try out Tales of Arabian Nights (kind of random for my tastes, but fun nonetheless), Dominion, The Red Dragon Inn and a slew of others. I picked up Space Alert from Troll and Toad's booth; based on everything I've read it looks like it could be a blast to play. I bought Intrigue from Mayfair after reading Barnes' comments about it on the other site. And I grabbed Dice Town from Asmodee--can't go wrong with another light Western-themed game.

What really irritates me, though, is when publishers don't hold any of their stock back for the rest of the con. I wasn't able to get ahold of Tales of Arabian Nights or either of the Formula D expansions. At least hold a few back for those of us who are Saturday-goers.

The one thing I noticed this year was the lack of non-gaming booths. To be fair, there were a few odd ones (what exactly was the d20 girls booth all about?). But it seemed like all of the major publishers save Days of Wonder and Flying Frog were present. I wish I could have looked at those immense, wooden gaming tables a bit more closely, but the nerd stench emanating from that area was overwhelming.
Last edit: 01 Jul 2009 16:03 by emperorhand.

More
30 Jun 2009 22:13 #33493 by hancock.tom
Yeah I was saturday only too, which hinders your ability to do everything you want to do. Next year I plan to book it far enough ahead of time to do multiple days and have time to kick Steve Avery's ass at something other than picking up 300 pound euro-babes.

More
02 Jul 2009 11:49 #33581 by Stephen Avery
At which I excell...

:D

Steve"macking"Avery

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.183 seconds