October 09, 2023
2545 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2739 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Any events, cons and meetups can be posted here. There is a link to our Member Map in your PROFILE menu.

Atlanta Game fest

More
08 Dec 2009 09:15 #49313 by Stephen Avery
Ward Batty organizes a bi-yearly gamefest and it has a great turnout. I usually go these as it draws people from the neighboring states and I get to game with peeps I only see only a few times a year. I'm alays deliberate about the membership fee of $40 though because, I mostly end up playing with my usual groups.
The flea market is also a good selling point. There are usually some really great deals to be had an there is a frenzy of wheeling and dealing when it opens. Now that I'm downsizing my collection that has become less of a factor.

That said, I'm curious to see if any other F:Aters are going.

Three weeks later Is AVERY"S HOUSEPARTY Feb18-21 where we'll be gaming at Launius'clubhouse and visit the Swamp if Frank will have us.

There is also possibly a Mercer Game Day which is free that will coalece sometime in late February/Early March. I've spoken with Rich Stiley, the Mercer Coordinator and he's receptive to the idea but wants to see what his schedule for 2010 looks like before he commits. The following is a post from Ward and more information is on the website.

Atlanta Game Fest 15
Four Days of Fun & Games!
January 28-31, 2010
Holiday Inn Select, Atlanta-Peachtree Corners

www.atlantagamefest.com

The Atlanta Game Fest may have a record for most hotels one event has been held in, I think this is the eighth, but we've finally found a hotel that "get's it." This will be, by far, the nicest and most gaming space we've had in Atlanta. The hotel also has a great room rate of $59.

To make this more appealing for folks coming in from out-of-town, the Fest is now four (count 'em) days. I think the longer time allows folks to really settle in for several days of gaming, plus, of course, more games!

Single-day memberships are not available, so we shouldn't get swamped on Saturdays. There will still be plenty of folks for a good flea market.

If you are planning on attending I encourage you to reserve your hotel rooms early, the cut off date is for that room rate is early January. You can cancel the room day before, so there's no risk in reserving early. You can now pay for memberships at the site, or you can still pay me at the door.

We have a great spot and an extra day, so I'm looking forward to the best Fest yet! Hope to see you there.
--
Ward

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Dec 2009 13:13 #49347 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Re:Atlanta Game fest
$40? No thanks. That's too much to rent a table and chairs. Plus that's probably right about the time Young Master Barnes will be here.

I'll definitely come to Avery's House Party. I have BIG PLANS for that one. There probably won't be another one when I get done with it.

Mercer is a good event, I'll probably come out to that one too. I'd actually recommend out-of-towners come to that over Atlanta Game Fest, it's not as crowded and you can get cheapsters like me to come.

More
08 Dec 2009 14:15 #49363 by robartin
Replied by robartin on topic Re:Atlanta Game fest
$40? You can buy a lot of good beer for that.

More
08 Dec 2009 14:18 #49365 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Re:Atlanta Game fest
I'll stick with the Averyfest over this one.

More
08 Dec 2009 14:23 #49368 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Re:Atlanta Game fest
Yeah, $40 will buy some good beer...you could get like two four-packs of St. Bernardus, for example.

The thing about it is, the same thing will happen at that Game Fest that happens at every one. Robert and I will find some out-of-the-way room or table and our regular friends will come play games with us. And I'll sit there and think "we could have done this at home".

Last time I was at a Gamefest one of those female board gamer sows chastised me in the hallway. I said something to Will about there being a bunch of freaking nerds here and she snapped at me "They're board game geeks, not nerds". I realized that I was in the wrong place.

More
08 Dec 2009 14:54 #49372 by Stephen Avery
Replied by Stephen Avery on topic Re:Atlanta Game fest
....and do you know how many half eaten cans of refried beans that will buy? I could eat for a month on that...

one of those female board gamer sows chastised me in the hallway.

You and I both know that was a mating call. Besides, I saw you take her room key...

Steve"TellAll"Avery

More
08 Dec 2009 16:03 #49385 by Space Ghost
Replied by Space Ghost on topic Re:Atlanta Game fest
Or you could get two 30 packs of Busch Light.

More
08 Dec 2009 16:43 #49391 by Gary Sax
I like the way Space Ghost thinks. Case race bitches.

More
08 Dec 2009 16:46 #49392 by robartin
Replied by robartin on topic Re:Atlanta Game fest
Except for the "light" part. You gotta think alcohol content, guys.

More
08 Dec 2009 17:03 #49397 by Space Ghost
Replied by Space Ghost on topic Re:Atlanta Game fest
Well, in that case, let's just go Bud. Straight-up 5%. Unless you guys are willing to walk on the wild-side and drink Busch Ice (5.9%).

More
08 Dec 2009 18:31 #49423 by Gary Sax
Ice House!!!

More
08 Dec 2009 19:11 #49430 by SusanR
Replied by SusanR on topic Re:Atlanta Game fest
Crap, where was all this gaming when I lived in Atlanta?!? I want to go to all of them. <sob>

And yay for light beer, so I don't become one of those female gaming sows.

More
08 Dec 2009 20:57 #49443 by billyz
Replied by billyz on topic Re:Atlanta Game fest
BIG PLANS hunh? I'm looking forward to this thing more and more. On second thought don't do anything that will fuck with mu cozy accommodations at the Avery household.

Don't any of you fuckers drink real alcohol? I was gonna hit the local packy up for some single malt, that I'll probably be able to buy at a tasty discount, considering that all of us saps north of the border take it up the ass hooch-wise even taking into account monetary parity.

More
08 Dec 2009 21:05 #49445 by Ken B.
Replied by Ken B. on topic Re:Atlanta Game fest
My brother and I were planning on hitting Game Fest but sounds like we should hold out for Avery's shindig. Especially if the people we're actually coming to game with (Martin, Avery, Barnes, etc) aren't going to be there.

What kind of hotels are near you, Steve-O?

More
08 Dec 2009 21:08 #49446 by Stephen Avery
Replied by Stephen Avery on topic Re:Atlanta Game fest
I'll put ya up and save you the cash. If you'd prefer a hotel there are several that are pretty close.

I've not ruled out GameFest. Barnes always makes noises about skipping...then always goes. :D Though this time may be different with his child on the way...

Steve"GameOn"Avery

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.231 seconds