October 09, 2023
2544 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2739 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

What BOARD GAMES are you TRADING?

More
09 Mar 2021 22:23 #320316 by Space Ghost

Michael Barnes wrote: Yeah I wish I had tried Noble Knight before rather than selling stuff almost at a loss on eBay.. it is super easy, and their cash offers aren’t disasterously lower than trade. They pay for shipping, which rules.

I don’t need NK cutting me out
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes, Gary Sax

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Mar 2021 22:25 #320317 by Jackwraith
Speaking of old RPG stuff, I still have a box with a bunch of old 2nd Edition AD&D rulebooks, Forgotten Realms stuff, TORG, and Gamma World from 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th Edition (I was, uh, a dedicated post-apocalyptic gamer.) Most of it, of course, has been out of print forever, but that's because people have mostly moved on. Any idea if there's demand for any of that?

More
09 Mar 2021 22:33 #320318 by n815e
I just sent Noble Knight a bunch of Heroes of Normandie stuff, plus some other odds and ends games and miniatures.

Now I have $400 in credit just waiting to be burned. I am going to try to hold out for when they get Core Space back in stock. I want to try it out.

There are some other games I’d also like to pick up. Maybe Star Trek Ascendancy, but with a young child it’s still going to be a long time before I have a fully vaccinated household to get people over play.

I almost feel like I don’t really need anything more in my collection right now.

More
09 Mar 2021 22:54 #320319 by Michael Barnes
LOL Doug they were all things you passed on! You are still my #1 customer.

There is -definitely- demand for the 2nd AD&D stuff- you wouldn’t have trouble shifting that anywhere TBH. The Gamma World stuff would likely move smoothly too.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jpat, Jackwraith

More
10 Mar 2021 07:36 #320323 by Josh Look

Jackwraith wrote: Speaking of old RPG stuff, I still have a box with a bunch of old 2nd Edition AD&D rulebooks, Forgotten Realms stuff, TORG, and Gamma World from 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th Edition (I was, uh, a dedicated post-apocalyptic gamer.) Most of it, of course, has been out of print forever, but that's because people have mostly moved on. Any idea if there's demand for any of that?

I'm in the Discord for Vintage RPG. I can ask around if you want.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith

More
10 Mar 2021 09:35 #320325 by Msample
I'd think nostalgia , even if not want to play it, would create demand for the old 2nd ed D&D stuff. I sometimes read bootleg PDFs online of the old modules; I vastly prefer the black and white artwork of those old modules to the newer stuff. IIRC they re released commemorative editions of the core rules awhile back. Brings back memories.

I traded away most of my stuff years ago - met a guy at the Compleat Strategist in Boston. Used the money to buy World in Flames I think. Kind of regret it now.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen

More
10 Mar 2021 11:47 #320334 by Jackwraith

Josh Look wrote: I'm in the Discord for Vintage RPG. I can ask around if you want.

Yeah. That'd be great. Thanks.

More
10 Mar 2021 12:56 #320343 by Jackwraith
Back on topic:

Traded Res Arcana for Tournament at Camelot.

As I mentioned in the Playing thread, Res Arcana isn't a bad game, but it's very snowbally and insanely draw-dependent, even for a card game. There were many games where someone would simply get the best draw, put a machine together, and explode to 10 points without anyone else being able to do much of anything. One of the key things for me in most games is counterplay. If someone does something good, there should be something I can do to counter that directly or improve my own position because they've gone in one direction and I can go in another, due to their absence. Res Arcana simply didn't have that.

I'd been interested in Tournament since Wade reviewed its expansion so this seemed like an easy swap. And it was! I just sent a trade offer through BGG, the guy accepted, and we shipped. No pre-trade inquiry email, no drawn out discussions about value, FFS. Just offer, accept, go. Now, if I could just get people to expend the two mouse clicks to reject offers they don't like, everything would be perfect.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, WadeMonnig, n815e

More
10 Mar 2021 13:01 #320344 by Josh Look
I'm also in the trading Res Arcana club. I traded it and the expansion for Islebound. I've become very fond of Ryan Laukat's games over the past year and this one seems to be out of print.

More
10 Mar 2021 13:53 #320348 by ChristopherMD
Thanks for the reminder about NK. Need to send them a list of RPG books I want to sell. Keep meaning to sell individually but just too lazy I guess.

More
10 Mar 2021 14:12 #320349 by southernman

hotseatgames wrote: Ha! It just got to the point where this stuff was NOT seeing the table. And... I'll be inundated with KS boxes in a couple of months. I have to make room for new shelf toads.

Whhaaaaaaattttt ?!!! You need to move stuff on when a KS tsunami approaches - say it's not true .... I'm in a bit lot of shit then :S

More
11 Mar 2021 13:04 #320383 by ubarose
Just want to give one of our site sponsors Abecorn a little plug here. It's owned by one of our long time members. It is a board game selling and trading service. They also run math trades, you can import your games from BGG to make them easy to trade and sell, and they have built in postage printing.

Anyway, it's worth checking our and poking around a bit.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes, southernman, Rliyen, Gary Sax, dysjunct, Dr. Mabuse, mezike, cdennett, Gregarius, Ah_Pook

More
22 Apr 2021 17:10 #322447 by Jackwraith
Traded Tales of the Arabian Nights for Mezo.

I always liked Tales more as a thing than as an actual game. It was a classic that Z-Man took in and reproduced in their usual excellent fashion (RIP Knizia classics) and I appreciated that it never pulled any punches with what Scheherazade was and is, in terms of the types of strange adventures you could end up in. But as a game, it never really worked. Almost no one deviated from 10 story points/10 destiny points, unless you'd played enough times to know that certain nearby locations would give you more of one kind or another. And if you'd played that often, the shine would doubtlessly have come off to some degree in the same manner as happens with choose-your-own-adventure books. Once you'd read that part three or four times, it's just not that thrilling anymore. Plus, if you didn't have a group that was willing to engage the RPG elements, it was less than it should've been.

I'd been looking at Mezo for a while because I like those area-control-of-the-gods-type games (Rising Sun, Blood Rage, Lords of Hellas, etc.) And, although I have a number of them, I've never played one that is rooted in MesoAmerican cultures. I haven't been wowed by anything Kolossal has done (my one play of Western Legends was entertaining, but didn't blow me away) but I've been reading some good stuff about how Mezo handles the whole area control mechanic and figured I'd move out a game that I wasn't playing for one that I might.

More
22 Apr 2021 17:47 #322450 by charlest
Mezo is pretty good. You should dig it if you enjoy those other games you listed.

More
22 Apr 2021 18:16 #322451 by san il defanso
Out: Quadropolis
In: Civlization: A New Dawn

Quardopolis is fine, but I think I'd want a city planning game that feels more like it's trying to emulate actual city planning. Anyway, I'm a big fan of Civ VI (and Civ V before it) and I've heard enough good stuff about A New Dawn from folks around here that I'm interested in it. I also think my son would be into it, since he likes Civ V a lot and it's a shorter entry into the series. I'm especially interested to see how it abstracts stuff in a genre that is normally so process-heavy.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.282 seconds