October 09, 2023
2807 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2950 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting (i.e. voting for) it. Please make it clear for when I check the bets later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

Trashdome - Galaxy Trucker VS RoboRally

More
08 Jun 2009 22:10 #31678 by Aarontu
mjl1783 wrote:

Hey, I didn't dream this thing up! What happened to the old pawns anyway?

I support the decision to make the default avatar as goofy looking as possible.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Jun 2009 00:09 - 09 Jun 2009 00:17 #31682 by Ryan B.
Mr MOTO wrote:

Ro(blow) Rally sucks

Reading a description and looking at the components tells me it should be a hoot. When I muster up the confidence to try it again (and again) I find the actual game just doesn't live up to the sum of its fun factor components.

Mr. Moto is really describing Betrayal on House on a Hill.

But this Trashdome is another easy one for me. Let's hope I get into the win column this time. (LOL)

Vote: RoboRally
Last edit: 09 Jun 2009 00:17 by Ryan B..

More
09 Jun 2009 02:21 #31685 by southernman
Vote: RoboRally

Any game where the most important thing is doing a bloody kids jig-saw puzzle in silence at the start can fucking bite my arse. I walked away from the game while doing this when I thought what the fuck am I doing.

Much rather push other robots down shutes, laser them up the backside, and make glorius card programming fuck-ups resulting in you looking a dick banging your head against a wall.

More
09 Jun 2009 04:28 #31688 by Protoss
Vote: Roborally

This is mostly a fun game. And we usually bring this on the table when no one really cares for a thinking game any more (after a few(...) beers). This is just plain, raw fun! Program your robot and see how bad it fares. Try to mess up other peoples plans!

As others have mentioned it is important to build a good track. But it is really easy to build one as well. Max 2 map pieces and some crossings to prevent leaders from being alone. Ready.

To get more fun out of it start with a special power. The special powers are too hard to come by.

Galaxy trucker was interesting to try out. But. First you build a ship solitaire. Then you watch what happens to it without being able to do anything about it? Boring. This could perhaps be a good solo game though? Try to optimize your final points kind of thing?

I really like the description someone made about it. You put a space ship together out of different pieces and then throw it against a wall and see how it survived! Now that would be fun!

More
09 Jun 2009 12:02 #31706 by grimnir
Roborally has a great concept but poor, often boring execution. I'm all for long games -- but only when they stay fun and/or interesting.

In my book, Space Alert has replaced RR for a game with pre-programmed moves.

Vote: Galaxy Trucker

More
09 Jun 2009 12:04 #31708 by southernman
grimnir wrote:

In my book, Space Alert has replaced RR for a game with pre-programmed moves.

It's crap.

(No need to waste too much forum space)

More
09 Jun 2009 12:38 #31712 by sydo
Galaxy Trucker

I like RR but it has left me kinda cold but a game of GT is always full of swearing, screaming and pure fun. Throw in the expansion and RR doesn't really stand a chance. Both are good games though.

More
09 Jun 2009 13:57 #31719 by Columbob
Haven't played Galaxy Trucker yet, even if I'd like to try it out.

But I do like RoboRally. One thing that keeps coming up is the length problem bogging things down. Never really had that, as I think I've only ever played on 1 board maps with 3 flags or so. These games last for about 20 minutes, no time to get bored, and it's fast - what a racing game should be, right? The more players the merrier of course. We can play 3-4 games in a row before the game overstays its welcome. The only problem with these short maps is that you don't really have time to grab upgrades and use them properly. Still, it's goofy, fun, and you can laugh at the others' misfortunes when their robot falls down a chute or gets zapped.

VOTE: ROBORALLY

More
09 Jun 2009 16:56 #31726 by mikoyan
Robo Rally can be fun or it can be like watching paint dry. I think it is fun where you have a medium complexity map and not too many of them. As you start adding more maps, the fun factor wears down quickly. The other thing that kills it for me is the analysis paralysis. too much thinking on what cards to play.....but I guess I can understand it.

Anyways, not played Galaxy Trucker but would like to....

My vote goes to RoboRally by default.

More
09 Jun 2009 17:50 #31727 by Michael Barnes
Wow...ROBORALLY is putting up more of a fight than I thought it would. Guess there's more pocket protectors among the F:ATties than I thought, if you know what I mean.

PERHAPS WHEN MY SMOKING OF THIS CIGARETTE IS COMPLETE I WILL JOIN YOU IN A GAME OF ROBORALLY

More
09 Jun 2009 18:01 #31729 by southernman
Ah - the sound of Barnes quaking in his boots, just as a laser is about to burn his frakkin arse off.

More
09 Jun 2009 19:18 #31732 by doubleozaphod
Vote: Robo Rally

I owe it to the game that got me into gaming. I have what I think is the Wizards edition with the metal 'bots and while the "runaway leader" complaint is certainly valid, along with the need for a timer, I and my friends have had a lot of fun with it.

More
09 Jun 2009 20:14 #31734 by Druen Kree
Vote= ROBORALLY

the chaos of the game is great and its funny to watch people do the twisting and turning in there seats while there trying to set there cards.

More
10 Jun 2009 02:03 #31753 by southernman
Druen Kree wrote:

... its funny to watch people do the twisting and turning in there seats while there trying to set there cards.

Watching that alone is better than playing the stupid jig-saw euro.

More
10 Jun 2009 08:36 #31763 by Columbob
Michael Barnes wrote:

Guess there's more pocket protectors among the F:ATties than I thought, if you know what I mean.

Galaxy Trucker = Cult of the new to me. Haven't had the time to check it out, it's been out, what, a year or so? I don't really hang out at a weekly games club anymore so I don't get the chance to try out new stuff as much.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.507 seconds