October 09, 2023
2632 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2822 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting (i.e. voting for) it. Please make it clear for when I check the bets later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

Trashdome - Drakon VS Cutthroat Caverns

More
07 Dec 2009 17:13 #49265 by Schweig!
That's the same problem eurogamers had with SPACE HULK and explains its bad rating. The game will not turn you into a muscle-packed, armored, gun-blazing Space Marine. That's why PUERTO RICO and AGRICOLA were and are #1 respectively, the former makes you feel like a slaver owner and the latter makes you fall in love with sheep - the two pinnacles of human life.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Dec 2009 17:20 #49267 by Ken B.
Schweig! wrote:

That's the same problem eurogamers had with SPACE HULK and explains its bad rating. The game will not turn you into a muscle-packed, armored, gun-blazing Space Marine. That's why PUERTO RICO and AGRICOLA were and are #1 respectively, the former makes you feel like a slaver owner and the latter makes you fall in love with sheep - the two pinnacles of human life.

It also explains why I enjoy Khet...it makes me feel like I'm shooting laser beams from my penis.

More
07 Dec 2009 17:23 #49270 by Black Barney
ouch! my eyes!

anyway, totally on topic, my mom calls the colonists in Puerto Rico her little black guys

More
07 Dec 2009 17:23 #49271 by mjl1783
The game will not turn you into a muscle-packed, armored, gun-blazing Space Marine.

So, you're saying that me being a muscle-packed, armored, gun-blazing Space Marine has nothing to do with me owning Space Hulk, but rather that I'm just that badass?

More
07 Dec 2009 17:41 #49272 by Mr Skeletor
Schweig! wrote:

The special abilities in DRAKON are a joke really. These are all single-use. For example the thief can steal one piece of gold once per game if he ends his turn in the same space as another character. I think the fighter has the same ability only that it's called "beat-up" or something like that.

The powers are all slightly different, yes they are single use but it's only a quick game so they do enough. Not every game demands variable power players.

But that brings up another issue I have with CC that I forgot about - the variable power players are shit and simply not fun (and also single use - despite the game is MUCH longer than drakon.) The elf especially fucking shits me, being able to not cop damage for one fight is busted, and we are at the stage of just leaving them out the game.

More
08 Dec 2009 02:22 #49298 by Space Ghost
Vote: Drakon

It is just better.

More
08 Dec 2009 03:48 #49299 by dave
Drakon is a cute little game, but it's fun potential is capped at Middling.

So much about the CC design is retarded (e.g., character abilities; items), but I love the core combat mechanism as I had it as a subsystem in a fantasy game I designed a few years ago. And, with the expansions, the potential for awesome is now as great as its risk of suck. I'll take my chances and vote for CC, which also serves of an acknowledgment of my own genius.

More
08 Dec 2009 03:58 #49301 by Schweig!
Ken B. wrote:

It also explains why I enjoy Khet...it makes me feel like I'm shooting laser beams from my penis.

Black Barney wrote:

ouch! my eyes!

anyway, totally on topic, my mom calls the colonists in Puerto Rico her little black guys

Did Ken just shoot a beam from his penis into Barney's eyes!?

Eww ... do that at home please.

More
08 Dec 2009 05:54 #49306 by scissors
Our group was a little underwhelmed by CC -- though willing to try it again. Vote: Drakon

More
09 Dec 2009 09:20 #49478 by Columbob
Never played CC.

Drakon, however, is fun more often than boring, plays pretty quickly (the odd game can drag and thus it can overstay its welcome) and can generate some laughs and groans, and is a hit with my buddies when we still want to play something for half an hour or less. We've played it many times and I expect to continue playing it for many years, so that was a great second-hand purchase IMO.

My brother doesn't really like it and says it's "too random", but then he adores M44, Warhammer Quest and Roborally, so go figure.

There was this recent article on 2-player games on the FFG website, and Drakon was ridiculously featured. This is a terrible 2-player game and is best with 4 or maybe more, don't think I've tried it with 5-6. It could drag.

More
09 Dec 2009 20:18 #49683 by Mr MOTO
CC didn't go well with one of our AT groups.

With that in mind and a new copy of Drakon freshly sent from FFG for cheap...

More
11 Dec 2009 00:28 #49855 by ChristopherMD
Cutthroat Caverns = 9
Matt Loter
Schweig!
Stephen Avery
Dogmatix
Death and Taxis
Brewmeister
JonJacob
Ken B.
dave

Drakon = 7
mjl1783
Mr Skeletor
Jack Hooligan
Space Ghost
scissors
Columbob
Mr MOTO

More
11 Dec 2009 00:45 #49856 by Mr Skeletor
Closer than I thought.

More
11 Dec 2009 01:13 #49861 by DeletedUser
Mr Skeletor wrote:

Closer than I thought.

Me too. Not the hosing I predicted.

More
18 Dec 2009 16:56 #50684 by ModelVillain
Vote: Drakan. Fun for how little time/commitment it requires, and I'm a damn sucker for Silver Line games.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.263 seconds