October 09, 2023
2841 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2985 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting (i.e. voting for) it. Please make it clear for when I check the bets later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

Trashdome - Crokinole VS PitchCar

More
15 Aug 2010 23:17 #71332 by Josh Look
Man, I enjoy both of these.

But one of things that I commend Pitchcar for is that all you have to do is look at it and you basically know how to play. How many other games do that?

Vote: Pitchcar

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Aug 2010 00:50 - 16 Aug 2010 00:52 #71343 by Dogmatix
Hrm...

I love both games, so the edge will have to go to the "art factor."

My crok' board is maple (I think; don't remember the original specs now and the pictures make it look darker than it is) with the center painted to mimic a Moorish geometric mosaic from the walls of Alhambra. (And, until the HVAC system moved to the top of the list of "must get done this year" home projects, we were working with the Hilinski bros to do a fully inlaid board after one of the Alhambran ceilings purely as a piece of wall-bound art. It's handy living relatively near to these guys because the shipping would be beyond stupid).

My Pitchcar set is low grade MDF...

Edge: Crokinole.

( My crokinole board )
Last edit: 16 Aug 2010 00:52 by Dogmatix.

More
16 Aug 2010 01:11 #71344 by billyz
Pitchcar: fun

Crokinole: recently made me so fucking mad I had to leave the room before I tossed the board out the window. And you know I shook the board before I left.

Vote: Crokinole.

More
16 Aug 2010 06:49 #71353 by KingPut
On the beer scale I'd rate Crokinole a 3 because you should be drinking a beer when you play but you should be drunk because Crokinole takes real skill. Crokinole is best with 2 or 4 players. Crokinole boards are a work of art. Crokinole is a social game you can play after dinner with the company. If somebody offered me a Crokinole board or Pitch Car set, I'd take the Crokinole board.

I'd rate Pitch Car a 6 on the drinking scale because I've seen people stinking drunk win at Pitch Car. Pitch Car is played best with 4+ players. Pitch Car is a game you can play with your kids and their friends. If somebody asked if I wanted to play Crokinole or Pitch Car, I'd say Pitch Car.

My vote is: Pitch Car just because I suck at Crokinole

More
16 Aug 2010 07:56 #71358 by lj1983
vote: pitchcar

More
16 Aug 2010 10:33 #71377 by SuperflyPete
Wow, this is probably the most difficult Trashdome I've been privy to because they're both a ton of fun. I'd have to go with Pitchcar, though, because Crokinole is essentially the same game no matter where you go or whose board you play on, but Pitchcar can be configured to be a completely different game every time.

VOTE: Pitchcar.

More
16 Aug 2010 10:37 #71378 by Msample
Pitchcar is easier to get non gamers interested in because of the theme and ability to engage a bunch of players. Better late night drinking game

PITCHCAR

More
18 Aug 2010 18:32 #71777 by moofrank
This isn't actually a contest:

Vote Crokinole

A: Pitchcar consists of badly fitting components that are of less quality than the slightly dubious Carabande. (Which itself consisted of two editions---with the first edition track being heavy, solid, and much smoother.) By the time it gets to Carabande the track is just crap. (AND the original version Aves included a large set track on a single sheet board. So even Carabande is a less nice version of Aves.)

It is the watery, pathetic Eurogame-light of the Dex game realm.

B: Crokinole is a game baked in nearly a century of fine reworking among communities of people who had nothing to do but raise barns, make stuff out of wood and play Crokinole. It is not only a good dex game, but actually has a surprising amount of strategic and tactical scope, and requires you to learn your partner's and opponent's weaknesses.

All of you voting Pitchcar are just wrong.

More
18 Aug 2010 19:40 #71782 by Merkles
The only time I've even SEEN Crokinole played is when Frank beat up on Billy at Averyfest. Never played it or got a chance to. But it did look cool.

I own Pitchcar, but it has sat on the shelf far too long b/c it takes awhile to set up...but I do like it.

(I did just get a Carrom board at Goodwill for 2 bucks yesterday--and says it can play Crokinole..but the pieces are plastic and not as smooth as the surface like yours, Frank.

More
18 Aug 2010 21:30 #71792 by clockwirk
Vote: Crokinole

More
20 Aug 2010 09:04 #71915 by Stephen Avery
moofrank wrote:

Vote Crokinole

A: Pitchcar consists of badly fitting components that are of less quality than the slightly dubious Carabande. (Which itself consisted of two editions---with the first edition track being heavy, solid, and much smoother.) By the time it gets to Carabande the track is just crap. (AND the original version Aves included a large set track on a single sheet board. So even Carabande is a less nice version of Aves.)

B: Crokinole is a game baked in nearly a century of fine reworking among communities of people who had nothing to do but raise barns, make stuff out of wood and play Crokinole. It is not only a good dex game, but actually has a surprising amount of strategic and tactical scope, and requires you to learn your partner's and opponent's weaknesses.

Don't bring your highbrow sensibilities around here Frank. I have but one word for you- Jumps.
Manuvering around a couple of pegs spaced around a hole is a poor excuse for the jump.

Vote: Sorry Sliders err Catacombs ...I mean: PitchCar

Steve"Dextartiy Challenged"Avery

More
20 Aug 2010 09:04 #71916 by Stephen Avery
moofrank wrote:

Vote Crokinole

Don't bring your highbrow sensibilities around here Frank. I have but one word for you- Jumps.
Manuvering around a couple of pegs spaced around a hole is a poor excuse for the jump.

Vote: Sorry Sliders err Catacombs ...I mean: PitchCar

Steve"Dextartiy Challenged"Avery

More
20 Aug 2010 09:36 #71917 by Grudunza
So true it needed to be said twice. :oP

More
20 Aug 2010 10:42 #71926 by ratpfink
If you want to see a jump I'll just flick a disc at the center hole of a Crokinole board and have it lift off and hit you in the forehead. Sometimes you just have to let the opponent know you're there like the time honored traditions of Roughing the Passer, Game Misconducts or Hitting the batter with a pitch.

Vote: CROKINOLE

More
20 Aug 2010 10:50 #71927 by OldHippy
Can't jump in Crok!! What are you talking about.

Never believe people who say you can't!!

P.S. After 30 + years of Crok I have seen this in game.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.212 seconds