October 09, 2023
2546 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2741 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Painting Minis, Print & Play and Other Creative Type Stuff.

Mr Skeletor's House Rules - Talisman 4th Edition

More
06 Apr 2010 23:07 - 07 Apr 2010 09:19 #59060 by Mr Skeletor
Talisman often suffers from ‘treading water’ syndrome, where the game can stagnate for a while with no one making any real advancements towards the end goal. This, compounded by the facts that the inner region is brutal to get through without a powerful character and dying in Talisman means starting from scratch leads to long games which can overstay their welcome. These house rules attempt to address this issue.

1.0.0 - Life Force
When a character is killed and that player draws a new character, all other players immediately Gain 1 Strength and 1 Craft.
This rule ceases to take effect when a player reaches the crown of command.

1.0.1 – Super Life Force
(This will lead to a faster game, and is not to be used in conjunction with rule 1.0.0)
Each time a character is killed and a new one is drawn, all other players receive X points to spend immediately, where X is the number of deaths that have occurred so far including this one. Each point may be spent to Gain 1 Craft or 1 Strength.
Eg. After the 4th character is killed in a 3 player game, that player draws a new character while the other 2 players receive 4 points each to spend immediately. One player spends it to Gain 3 Craft and 1 Strength while the other put it all into strength Gaining 4 Strength.
Keep killed characters in a separate pile so you can track how many have died so far this game.
Last edit: 07 Apr 2010 09:19 by Mr Skeletor.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Apr 2010 07:08 #59069 by mjl1783
Actually, the way your rule is written, the other two players would get 4 points each in your example.

Have you played with Super Life Force yet? It seems like it would turn dying from starting over from scratch into being effectively taken out of the game, especially if you're playing with some of the expansions where death is a little more frequent.

More
07 Apr 2010 07:58 - 07 Apr 2010 08:00 #59070 by ubarose
We just don't have many characters dying when we play Talisman. Although we do play that if you die towards the end of the game, it is common courtesy to just stay dead, because it is just absurd to bring in a starting character when everyone else is at 6 or 7 strength. And if you die when you are in the upper region, or when someone else is half way through the upper region, you absolutely do NOT bring in a new charater. Our games usually last about 90 minutes and rarely go over 2 hours. Maybe Mr. Skeletor is onto something. If someone is effectively taken out of the game by either our method or his, players may take fewer foolish risks, die less, and speed up the game.
Last edit: 07 Apr 2010 08:00 by ubarose.

More
07 Apr 2010 09:18 #59073 by Mr Skeletor
mjl1783 wrote:

Actually, the way your rule is written, the other two players would get 4 points each in your example.

Thanks, I've corrected it.

Have you played with Super Life Force yet? It seems like it would turn dying from starting over from scratch into being effectively taken out of the game, especially if you're playing with some of the expansions where death is a little more frequent.

I've played with the first rule but not the second. I prefer the first rule, but the second is more forceful in making the game end when it gets tiring.
You are right about the player effectively being 'out of the game' - unless someone else dies, in which case that player is suddenly back in the race and potentially can head straight for the crown if enough characters have died so far. So your best bet is to hope someone dies. The idea is there by that stage there will always be characters ready to go for the crown, so the game will end soon.

If your game is taking 90 mins these house rules are not needed. Ours are taking at least 3 hours which is why I came up with these ideas (we are playing with all expansions to date.) I prefer the first one, as I said I haven’t actually tried the second one, and probably would only do so if I was playing within a strict time limit.

More
07 Apr 2010 10:39 - 07 Apr 2010 10:40 #59083 by ubarose
I love, love, love Talisman, but I wouldn't want to play it for 3 hours. I agree that is over staying its welcome. Although other people focus on the movement or the randomness of Talisman, I think it's real flaw is that it theoretically can go on forever. I think that appeals to children, whom I've observed playing it for hours and hours without attempting to advance to the upper region, despite the fact that they have a strength of 15. Talisman will also totally stall if people pound on each other constantly so that no one is able to make any headway.

I think Arkham Horror and Runebound really got at the root of the problem with adventure games by adding the doom tracks as an in game timer.
Last edit: 07 Apr 2010 10:40 by ubarose.

More
07 Apr 2010 11:25 #59091 by mjl1783
I think the secret to a good Talisman game is to keep it at three or four players. Any more than that, and you'll have to be fighting to get things moving. Plus there's way more opportunity for everyone to gang up on the guy heading for the CoC.

More
07 Apr 2010 13:57 #59112 by Not Sure
If I'm playing Talisman with more than 4 people and I'm not the guy in the lead, I'll probably be more likely to beat up on anyone who's dragging the leader down.

A nice struggle for the lead? Great, dig in. Maybe the shlubs can catch up a bit.

A pack of soon-to-be losers doing what they can to keep the game going against a clear leader? Hate it. Talisman has a runaway leader syndrome, and it just needs to be accepted. The rich get richer, and that's cool. Don't fight against the game, just wrap it up and try again next time.

More
07 Apr 2010 14:04 #59113 by Mr. White
With 6, I take out the alignment changing cards and play three teams of two. Good v Neutral v Evil. Team play is a lot of fun as one character usually becomes the 'football' and the other the 'enforcer'. We've found this also keeps more people involved long term. Even though your character might be sucking, your team could still be winning, or you could at least fall into that enforcer role and attack other teams.

With this team rule we also play that if both teammates are in the same region and you roll a 6 for movement, then you can automatically move to your ally for trading and what not. We figure this represents party coordination and planing.

Also, we take out a few of the non-creature adventure cards. This enables us to level up a bit more frequently. too many games where a player kept drawing fountains, bazaars and such and not leveling up.

More
07 Apr 2010 14:42 #59116 by Aarontu
Jack Hooligan wrote:

With 6, I take out the alignment changing cards and play three teams of two. Good v Neutral v Evil. Team play is a lot of fun as one character usually becomes the 'football' and the other the 'enforcer'. We've found this also keeps more people involved long term. Even though your character might be sucking, your team could still be winning, or you could at least fall into that enforcer role and attack other teams.

With this team rule we also play that if both teammates are in the same region and you roll a 6 for movement, then you can automatically move to your ally for trading and what not. We figure this represents party coordination and planing.

Also, we take out a few of the non-creature adventure cards. This enables us to level up a bit more frequently. too many games where a player kept drawing fountains, bazaars and such and not leveling up.

This is intriguing. How does a team win, by having one of its members reach the crown? Any other rule changes?

More
07 Apr 2010 14:42 #59117 by metalface13
Team rules sound fun.

More
07 Apr 2010 14:55 - 07 Apr 2010 14:56 #59120 by Mr. White
Aarontu wrote:

This is intriguing. How does a team win, by having one of its members reach the crown? Any other rule changes?

Correct.

I only have the first two expansions. So, not sure what will need to change for Frostmarch.

For what it's worth, I'm not that big a fan of the expansions that add more board as it drastically decreases player interaction. However, I'll use it with 6 players and teams. And by it I mean one at a time. In 2nd edition we never played all the expansions at the same time. Each game of Talisman is more unique if you limit yourself instead of being a glutton every time. Reaper is a must though.
Last edit: 07 Apr 2010 14:56 by Mr. White.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.202 seconds