October 09, 2023
2551 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2749 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing?

More
01 Dec 2014 14:20 #191697 by Joebot

jeb wrote: Contrast with ELDER SIGNS on the iPad, which is fun as hell, and just pounds the crap out of me. I was doing OK, and then I missed a couple and whammo, dead 14-7 against Azathoth. You can't miss a beat in this game or you get knocked the fuck out.

That really is a great app. I need to bust that out again. I haven't played it in a while.

I played Flash Point with my brother and dad over Thanksgiving. We cruised to an easy victory on the medium level difficulty. Thinking we were total fire-fighting bad asses, we flipped the board to the tougher map, and cranked up the difficulty. We got crushed. Twice. It wasn't even competitive. The fire was openly mocking us.

So, feeling utterly emasculated at this point, we tried once more. We had the seventh and final victim standing in the doorway, looking out at the ambulance. We had one "damaged wall" token left. All we needed was to NOT roll an explosion, and we would win. My brother rolled an explosion. And thus the building collapsed on top of us.

I really like this game. It's hard, and tense, and makes for some really fun moments. Like my brother racing into a burning room to rescue the person cowering in the far corner, only to find that it's the cat (my brother is NOT an animal person). But hey, to his credit, he saved that fucking cat. Or, my dad trying to carry a smoking hazmat token out the door, only to have it explode beneath him. Or me trying to fire that damned deck gun on the fire engine, only to completely miss every fire, and soak the crap out of the nice rug in the bedroom.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Dec 2014 14:27 #191700 by Legomancer
Visited family in south Florida for Thanksgiving. Did some boardgaming with them: Sushi Go!, Valley of the Kings, King of Tokyo, Small World. My nephew enjoys boardgames but his dad, my brother-in-law, was being a pill.

Game day was Sunday, but after 4 days of socializing I needed some cool down time, so no games for me.

More
01 Dec 2014 14:59 #191703 by Dr. Mabuse
On Saturday the nephew and I played King of New York and Blood Bowl: Team Manager then we fired up his XBOX 360 and had a few battles in Injustice: God Among Men and ran around GTA V for a bit.

That night we we had supper at my place and ended the evening watching Sharknado 2 :The Second One (utter shite) with the rest of the family.

It was a super fun day!

More
01 Dec 2014 15:21 #191706 by Sagrilarus

jeb wrote: Fiddling with LORDS OF WATERDEEP on the iPad. What am I not liking about this? It seems... fine. Is there not enough there? The play seems so programmed somehow. Any expansions freshen this a little? I don't feel like I am doing enough.

That's the takeaway I had from it as well. I've only played once so this isn't the most informed opinion, but I kind of felt like my lot was cast before I could do much about it. I felt like I was doing what the board told me to.

S.

More
02 Dec 2014 02:53 #191737 by Eleanor_Root
The Game of Life, Monopoly and Clue (the detective board game)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Josh Look

More
02 Dec 2014 08:50 #191747 by edulis
Played the first two scenarios of the Robotech tabletop skirmish game. My buddy who kick-started it is notorious for not reading the rules ahead of time and then explaining games wrong. The actually rules are only 10 pages or so. I really should have just read them...

Anyway, the game felt like a stripped down version of Warmachine. You have 'command points' that work a lot like focus, but no warcaster. So basically you can add attacks or attempt to dodge, by spending command points freely.

The transforming aspect was kind of neat, choosing which version of your Veritech was best for a given situation, but overall the game offered nothing new or special. Basic skirmish game using robotech models.

More
02 Dec 2014 13:02 #191775 by Erik Twice
I've been playing Hannibal: Rome vs Carthage with Thrower online. It's fun. I had never played a boardgame online so it was kind of a new experience for me.

More
02 Dec 2014 16:38 #191792 by Shellhead
Played a pair of very decent co-op games for the first time on Sunday with a couple of friends.

Robinson Crusoe was just as good as I have been hearing, though the rules were an ongoing problem because the other guys had only played a combined total of three games and didn't completely understand how the game worked. We played scenario 1, and despite my frequent reminders that we should be gathering and piling up more wood, we ran out of time right at the end and lost. My soldier character nearly died while hunting and killing a jaguar with his bare hands. I would definitely play Robinson Crusoe again, because the combination of components and gameplay really delivered the theme well.

Forbidden Desert was surprisingly good. The characters explore a desert where the winds blow hard and the sands are frequently shifting, seeking to find the missing parts of an airship that can be used to escape. There are also various pieces of abandoned high tech items to be found and used, as well as a few tunnels that can be used for rapid travel and shelter from the weather. Water is essential, and there are just a few places on the board where more water can be found. The neatest mechanic is the clues. The whole map is a 5x5 grid of random tiles, and the four missing items are defined by pairs of clue tiles, one horizontal and one vertical. Once both clue tiles for a given item are found, their position at that moment determines the placement of the missing item. We won because we were really lucky with the weather cards, with the wandering storm frequently getting temporarily stuck in a corner, resulting in less sand dunes than normal. The game took about an hour to play, and was easy to learn but presented some moderately interesting decisions at times.

More
02 Dec 2014 18:38 #191795 by SuperflyPete

edulis wrote: Played the first two scenarios of the Robotech tabletop skirmish game. My buddy who kick-started it is notorious for not reading the rules ahead of time and then explaining games wrong. The actually rules are only 10 pages or so. I really should have just read them...

Anyway, the game felt like a stripped down version of Warmachine. You have 'command points' that work a lot like focus, but no warcaster. So basically you can add attacks or attempt to dodge, by spending command points freely.

The transforming aspect was kind of neat, choosing which version of your Veritech was best for a given situation, but overall the game offered nothing new or special. Basic skirmish game using robotech models.

I really, really, really wanted to play this. Now I want to more!

More
02 Dec 2014 19:10 #191797 by Michael Barnes
I would like to buy someone's completely painted, assembled set of the Robotech game for ten dollars. PM me.

How does it model the spaghetti missiles?

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.739 seconds