October 09, 2023
2579 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2776 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing?

More
10 Sep 2014 15:20 #186851 by Shellhead
sun of a bitch
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Sep 2014 15:56 #186855 by Black Barney
the sun is new each day.

...what is this I don't even

More
10 Sep 2014 17:28 - 10 Sep 2014 19:16 #186863 by jeb
If you check the 1597 folio you see:

Enter Richard Duke of Glocester solus.

Now is the winter of our discontent,
Made glorious summer by this sonne of Yorke:
And all the cloudes that lowrd vpon our house,
In the deepe bosome of the Ocean buried.

Elsewhere we find:

To heare the lamentations of poore Anne,
Wife to thy Edward, to thy slaughtered sonne,
Stabd by the selfesame hands that made these holes,

and

Now Margarets curse is falne vpon our heads:
For standing by, when Richard stabd her sonne.

(among others).

He uses sonne = son throughout.

repoman: FULL POINT.
Last edit: 10 Sep 2014 19:16 by jeb.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Legomancer, ThirstyMan, DukeofChutney

More
10 Sep 2014 17:35 #186864 by Sagrilarus
This was covered in the Shakespeare errata of 1621. It should be obvious that it's son, as there is never sun in York in the winter months.

S.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Legomancer, wadenels

More
10 Sep 2014 19:12 #186865 by Michael Barnes
Y'all knock it off. Shakespeare ain't no good.

TALK ABOUT THE BOARD GAMES

More
10 Sep 2014 19:39 #186866 by Chaz

AM I DOIN' IT RIGHT?
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, stormseeker75, Erik Twice, scrumpyjack

More
10 Sep 2014 22:14 #186875 by hotseatgames
Tonight I taught my boys how to play Battle Ball. I gave a few strategy tips but mostly let them go at it. One son decided he was just going to try to tackle the entire opposing team, which might have worked but the other one decided all he had to do was run the ball in and be done. They liked it and I think they'll want to play again. I know I do.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Cranberries, Bull Nakano

More
11 Sep 2014 07:43 #186890 by wadenels
The TACKLE EVERYBODY strategy has never worked for me but that hasn't stopped me from trying. BattleBall is underrated.

More
11 Sep 2014 08:25 #186891 by Bull Nakano

hotseatgames wrote: One son decided he was just going to try to tackle the entire opposing team

Time to teach them Blood Bowl.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JEM

More
11 Sep 2014 09:06 - 11 Sep 2014 09:06 #186892 by charlest
Sons of Anarchy: MOM 3 players, great of course. I won with 40 cash playing Lin Syndicate, SAMCRO came in second with 37, and the Mayans came in third with 31. I only won a single throwdown the entire game but made good use of my ability (3 cash a turn when I have the Patch) and had a couple of good Black Market rounds. Loving this game.

Tragedy Looper, 2 games with 4 players. This game is kind of crazy. It's unique and innovative and reminds me of a combination of Zendo and Two Rooms and a Boom. I was surprised how goddamn difficult it was to play effectively as the Mastermind. I was in teaching and facilitating mode and struggled strategically as the Mastermind. There's a lot going on from the Mastermind's perspective and it's very easy to get things jumbled or forget about preparing characters for an Incident or triggering abilities. This is a game that will require a few plays before it hits its groove as you really want an experienced Mastermind. When you hit that groove though, it's exceptional.
Last edit: 11 Sep 2014 09:06 by charlest.

More
11 Sep 2014 09:14 #186894 by Bull Nakano

charlest wrote: Sons of Anarchy: MOM 3 players, great of course. I won with 40 cash playing Lin Syndicate, SAMCRO came in second with 37, and the Mayans came in third with 31. I only won a single throwdown the entire game but made good use of my ability (3 cash a turn when I have the Patch) and had a couple of good Black Market rounds. Loving this game.

How do you feel about the power level of the powers? This was my only complaint about Spartacus, and Firefly just didn't have bigtime player powers.

More
11 Sep 2014 09:37 #186896 by charlest

Bull Nakano wrote:

charlest wrote: Sons of Anarchy: MOM 3 players, great of course. I won with 40 cash playing Lin Syndicate, SAMCRO came in second with 37, and the Mayans came in third with 31. I only won a single throwdown the entire game but made good use of my ability (3 cash a turn when I have the Patch) and had a couple of good Black Market rounds. Loving this game.

How do you feel about the power level of the powers? This was my only complaint about Spartacus, and Firefly just didn't have bigtime player powers.

I feel they are pretty equal. My power of 3 cash per turn if I had the patch could be negated if other players put in effort to claim the patch. One player did this a couple of times but the other ignored it which amplified my success. It ended up getting me 9 Cash total over the game, which is somewhat significant.

The SAMCRO power is very good (extra Cash when selling Guns) but it requires you claim and exploit locations. Other players will naturally want to contest those locations and if you find yourself getting in many Throwdowns, you will want to spend your guns and then have nothing left to sell (this is what happened in our game to the SAMCRO player).

The Mayan player can initiate Throwdowns for free. This isn't as potentially impactful as the above two powers, but it's impossible for everyone to negate and it's good for a few free actions every game. This is also balanced out by the fact that the Mayans have a low base order pool so they will generally have less orders than everyone else near game end (depending on who recruited Members and who has had Members killed).

The Niners have a really cool ability where they can call in all of their games as reinforcements to a Throwdown without spending order tokens. This is powerful but really only helpful if you get in a lot of fights.

It seems like they're all kept in check in different ways and some of the balance is put on the players at the table (keeping the Patch out of Lin Syndicate's hands, stopping SAMCRO from selling guns).

I don't think Spartacus' House abilities are way out of whack. Some are definitely weaker but you can still win with those houses. The big issue with Spartacus is that the Houses seem to work to varying degrees of effectiveness depending on game length. You don't have this problem in Sons of Anarchy as the game is always the same length (about an hour).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bull Nakano

More
11 Sep 2014 11:55 #186900 by Michael Barnes
Like Charlie said, the powers are all easy to mitigate- provided players commit resources to do so. But sometimes the game sort of organically does that for you. SAMCRO's power can get completely shut down if you're pulling events that block gun trafficking or if the locations that come up aren't looking to buy.

But that's part of the strategy...the powers aren't unbalanced at all, all have very specific utility. And you just can't rely on them to win the game, they aren't impactful enough for that. They're advantages but not definite or insurmountable ones.

More
11 Sep 2014 19:00 - 11 Sep 2014 19:00 #186939 by Gary Sax
The wife and I played Robinson Crusoe. Man, what a game. Seriously. It is so god damned good. I can't believe it dropped off my radar, on my shelf, for like 7-8 months. What was I thinking???
Last edit: 11 Sep 2014 19:00 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
12 Sep 2014 08:37 #186945 by Legomancer
I had stepped away from SeaFall for a bit but last night I played in what would be game four. Again, I can't say too much, but it's much more streamlined now than it was before. A lot of the fat has been trimmed, though I think a little more could go. There's still, I think, a little too much "game" standing in front of the play. No idea on the release schedule, and some key points are still being hashed out, but it's coming together.

My ship, the Zagnut, discovered a foreboding island I named Spoopy Isle .
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ska_baron, jeb, Gary Sax

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 1.153 seconds