October 09, 2023
2514 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2713 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing?

More
23 Jan 2015 04:29 - 23 Jan 2015 04:30 #195883 by repoman
F:AT Thursday and this week we played the steaming pile of crap that is "X-files". Kevin Wilson should hang his head in shame that his name is on this game. It would have been super awesome if you were one of the people that had a mini-orgasm every time a new episode of the show aired 25 YEARS AGO and you were stoned and had no taste and had recently suffered a severe blow to the head. Na scratch that, it still would have sucked.
Last edit: 23 Jan 2015 04:30 by repoman.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, bfkiller, SuperflyPete, Frohike, wadenels

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Jan 2015 09:53 #195896 by Josh Look

repoman wrote: F:AT Thursday and this week we played the steaming pile of crap that is "X-files". Kevin Wilson should hang his head in shame that his name is on this game. It would have been super awesome if you were one of the people that had a mini-orgasm every time a new episode of the show aired 25 YEARS AGO and you were stoned and had no taste and had recently suffered a severe blow to the head. Na scratch that, it still would have sucked.

I know that Repo might sound cranky, but rest assured, folks, he's not. He just played a bad game.

More
23 Jan 2015 10:01 #195897 by Columbob
Last night a 7 player game of Camel Cup where I ended up dead last with a measly $11. At least every one of my coins was polished to a sheen.

Followed by a fairly easy game of Death Angel where we only lost 3 marines (flamer, thunder hammer and regular joe) to the genestealer threat, despite meeting 2 brood lords and an adrenal genestealer (using the pod mission pack). Missile team replaced Lightning claws team for the mission. We even ran out of genestealers to kill in the last room.

I've mentioned before how my group seems to win more often than not at Death Angel, perhaps playing with a full squad of 12 (we're often 3 players) makes the game easier. Or maybe we just discuss and plan our moves more than the average player.

More
23 Jan 2015 10:17 #195899 by Egg Shen
Josh and or Repo....

What made X-Files suck so bad?

More
23 Jan 2015 10:28 #195902 by SuperflyPete
The fact that it sucked. I was an X-Files fan, or rather, my daughter is and she forced me to watch them. Really, it was awkward having intense sexual fantasies about Scully (or, as I know her, Skull Me) while my daughter was watching the show. I JEST I JEST. (I waited until she left).

Anyhow, yes, the game sucks. Sucks. SUCKS.
boardgamegeek.com/video/58952/x-files/di...ower-reviews-x-files

As an aside, I really do love Tom's shirt in this one.

More
23 Jan 2015 10:45 #195903 by Josh Look

Egg Shen wrote: Josh and or Repo....

What made X-Files suck so bad?

My first Five Second Board Game Review is incoming.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Egg Shen

More
23 Jan 2015 10:48 #195904 by Shellhead
A proper X-Files game should just end abruptly at a random time, with no way to determine who won the game.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Black Barney, wadenels

More
23 Jan 2015 11:31 #195909 by Space Ghost
Played a couple more games of Battle of the Five Armies. This is really just a tweaking (albeit a nice tweaking) of the Battles of the Third Age. Both games, I was the Shadow player. The first game, I got easily routed due to just a shit show on the dice. At one point, I think I was up to 30 rolls without one hit.

The second game, I also lost, but this was a nail biter. The trajectory of the game was one of "ebbs and flows". I kept pushing the Free People back and then one of their heroes (usually Gandalf) would make up ground. I had an early round of lidless eye rolls, so was able to cause problems with both Goblin armies. My armies were depleted severely, but I got a handful of army and event card actions and no musters. But, I was able to bring out Bolg (son of Azog, naturally) through a few card combos. The same turn, the Free Peoples brought out Beorn. I had one push to grab another settlement and deciding factor was a standoff between Bolg and Beorn. Bolg defeated Beorn, but was harassed by the Lord of the Eagles enough that an army of Lakemen finished him off as he was trying to get into their settlement. Great game.

Also played some Elvenses over "high tea" with the wife and our good friends. A really nice little take on a memory game with some cool decisions to be had. The wife one handily with 8 sugar cubes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bfkiller, Columbob, charlest

More
24 Jan 2015 01:17 - 24 Jan 2015 01:17 #195960 by Gary Sax
Game of Arkham Horror, 3 players. Game really needs at least 4 investigators, I'd never played it with just 3 before. All the gates opened quickly and ended the game but we blew away the GOO pretty easily since it was a base game GOO, the one that creates the Mask monsters. Not a great game of AH---this was one of the duds that people talk about.

Then played Robinson Crusoe with 3. We got absolutely routed, but it remained fun almost the entire time. Eliminating Friday and having the more expensive shelter/building buys changes the game quite a bit from 2->3 players. RC is an AMAZING game.
Last edit: 24 Jan 2015 01:17 by Gary Sax.

More
24 Jan 2015 01:21 #195961 by Space Ghost
Have you picked up the expansion yet? We just got it and might start on the campaign next week. You're right -- such a great game.

More
24 Jan 2015 02:09 - 24 Jan 2015 02:14 #195962 by Hex Sinister
Yeah, scoop on the expansion and while you're at it all the random promos etc, pleasey?

We played tonight and the final blow:
"I've been bitten by a snake! I've been bitten by a snake!"
Last edit: 24 Jan 2015 02:14 by Hex Sinister. Reason: mutated by mercury poisoning

More
24 Jan 2015 03:08 #195963 by Hex Sinister
Mage Wars: Druid vs. Necromancer battle report, CAP Movie Ministry style:

faerie "magic", repeatedly
homosexual relationship between dinosaur and "zombi"
attempted murder by arrow
pursuit to do harm
planning killing
beatings, with and without tools/weapons
fighting, repeatedly
attempted ritual murder by acid
gaiaism (talking trees), repeatedly
unholy transformation by evil power
unholy healing
evil control
threat by wizardry/sorcery
evil beasts/demons, repeatedly
enlisting "unholy foilage" to do good by assisting the "good guys" in battle
seeking evil for help in battle
demon beast attacks
transporting people by unholy magic
images of supreme evil
depiction of book cover made with human flesh, facial
ritual creation of "un" dead to commit murder
sorcery to defend
sorcery to do battle with evil beast
worship of unholy object to create pestilence
7 uses of the three/four letter word vocabulary
5 uses of the most foul of the foul words
vulgar euphemisms
"electronic" smoking

I give this expansion 9/10.

More
24 Jan 2015 07:34 #195964 by Gary Sax

Space Ghost wrote: Have you picked up the expansion yet? We just got it and might start on the campaign next week. You're right -- such a great game.

No, it was out of stock at CSI when I made my big order earlier this month. It's a bummer.

More
24 Jan 2015 08:17 - 24 Jan 2015 08:20 #195965 by Grudunza
I've played the first scenario of the RC expansion, winning after the third try. Planning to play the next scenario this coming week. I like the variety, and there's a great theme connection. Word I've read is that scenario 3 (of 5), which really changes the system quite a bit and has by far the most rules, is a bit too convoluted, or changes things up too much for what it's worth. But I'll try to set that expectation aside and will hopefully enjoy that one, anyway. High marks in general for the rest of the campaign, though.

Gary, I've usually liked AH with 3p, though 4p is the best and particularly better if you're including any of the other towns.
Last edit: 24 Jan 2015 08:20 by Grudunza.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
24 Jan 2015 08:37 #195967 by Bull Nakano
Taught a couple friends Robinson Crusoe last night. I'm really bad at teaching this. I didn't want to keep playing castaways, so I said "let's play cannibal island". On turn 1 we discovered two cannibal camps and on turn 2 we died. With our tails between our legs we limped back to the castaways scenario. We did pretty good on the first half. We found a natural shelter a adjacent to 3 wood and 2 food spaces so we we just staying put. We couldn't get any roof traction going though and after we had to start rolling all 3 dice we ended up dying on the weather phase of turn 9. This game is so awesome.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 1.065 seconds