October 09, 2023
2518 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2720 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing?

More
12 Jun 2014 11:06 #180354 by SuperflyPete
The night before last we proved that not EVERYONE likes Settlers. See, my wife isn't so much a sore loser as a sore player; she cannot stand to have you fuck with her plans. So, when I traded her a bunch of wood for her rock and then played the Monopoly card for wood, that was like pouring gasoline on a house fire. Holy shit. I almost expected a table flip with all the pissing and moaning.

Funny, but the 12 year old was fine with it. But not mamasan. "I will never play this shitty fucking game again, ever, and fuck this game one more time for good measure" was the motto for the night.

AWESOME. If you can piss someone off that bad without cheating, you know you're playing it right, and the game has legs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Jun 2014 12:49 #180364 by Chaz
I had a similar wife reaction last time we played Tzolkin (shut up, I like the gears). I was first player coming up to the last two turns, and I decided to use my "skip a turn" power. The one that I'd used once before, and had recharged, not to mention that I'd pointed out several times. Turned out that she was banking on having that extra turn to bring a plan together, while I had nothing really going on, so I skipped the turn.

Man, she was pissed. She actually got up and walked away for several minutes saying she didn't even want to finish because I'd screwed her so bad. Finally I got her back to finish off the game. Turned out the third player wound up winning by a ton anyway.

More
12 Jun 2014 15:57 #180378 by Black Barney

SuperflyTNT wrote: The night before last we proved that not EVERYONE likes Settlers. See, my wife isn't so much a sore loser as a sore player; she cannot stand to have you fuck with her plans. So, when I traded her a bunch of wood for her rock and then played the Monopoly card for wood, that was like pouring gasoline on a house fire. Holy shit. I almost expected a table flip with all the pissing and moaning.

Funny, but the 12 year old was fine with it. But not mamasan. "I will never play this shitty fucking game again, ever, and fuck this game one more time for good measure" was the motto for the night.

AWESOME. If you can piss someone off that bad without cheating, you know you're playing it right, and the game has legs.

I made the grave mistake of doing that monopoly move in SETTLERS more than once. It is an awful thing to do, tactically, not because it hurts your chances of winning the game but that it hurts your chances of winning future games. I noticed immediately in the next several games that people were REALLY antsy to trade with me if I held development cards. They knew I did that move and when I was offering something in excess to everyone, people were SURE I had monopoly (when I didn't) so people wouldn't trade me when normally they would have. You can't win Settlers without trading.

Anything that causes ill will towards you in Settlers costs you future games. It's not worth it. It's much better to be under the radar and to be a positive trading experience. It gets you tons of goodwill down the road.

I found this to be true in poker too which is totally nuts.

More
13 Jun 2014 00:20 - 13 Jun 2014 00:24 #180401 by Gary Sax
Played Twilight Struggle tonight again, same opponent as always. We got to the last turn but I controlled Poland from the Pope and then I hit "Tear Down This Wall" and took East Germany---Europe scoring and it was over w/control. Score was like +1 to the US in the last turn, but I had control over Europe, strong domination of Asia and Central America, but he had other regions locked down. I think I would have pulled it out in final scoring fairly handily because I had the high scoring regions, even if I didn't have S. America, Africa, ME. My opponent is getting better, though, even if he doesn't have a natural grasp of the game.

I survived an absolutely brutal turn where I had to space race "We Will Bury You" which left me playing Quagmire which didn't go away for 3 rolls and went into the first round of the next turn. My opponent really did not make the most of that opportunity, I think that was the turning point.
Last edit: 13 Jun 2014 00:24 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
13 Jun 2014 07:16 #180405 by repoman
Got the F:AT Thursday crew to play PAX Porfiriana last night. And when I say " got" I mean "insisted that we play". Uba made me sign a contract that says I will play Arkham Horror with her and not be douchey about it before she would agree.

Uba hated it. Josh was unhappy about it. Al thought it was a fine game. I, of course, love it. Al won.

Then we played a game of Attika which was ok.

More
13 Jun 2014 09:12 #180410 by DukeofChutney
Al has fine taste. Embrace the Arkham.

More
13 Jun 2014 09:21 #180413 by Gary Sax
Pax is a great game. They're just sourpusses.

More
13 Jun 2014 10:29 #180421 by Black Barney
Gary, you controlled Europe as the US player?! My wife isn't very good at that game and I can't even pull that off against her. You're good to play as the US against a less-practiced opponent. It's a great natural handicap. Quagmire is a pain :)

More
13 Jun 2014 10:33 - 13 Jun 2014 10:39 #180424 by Gary Sax
Late war controlling Europe can certainly happen if you get a good card draw with the right events, even against a non-horrible player.
Last edit: 13 Jun 2014 10:39 by Gary Sax.

More
13 Jun 2014 12:06 #180442 by ubarose

repoman wrote: Got the F:AT Thursday crew to play PAX Porfiriana last night. And when I say " got" I mean "insisted that we play". Uba made me sign a contract that says I will play Arkham Horror with her and not be douchey about it before she would agree.

Uba hated it. Josh was unhappy about it. Al thought it was a fine game. I, of course, love it. Al won.

Then we played a game of Attika which was ok.

I don't hate PAX Porfiriana. I hardly know it, how can I hate it. I spent maybe an hour with it and the game was over before I had even internalized the basic sequence of play. You know what game I really hated the first time I played it? Arkham Horror. Hated it with a passion. Refused to play it again for an entire year until a friend, whose judgement of my taste in games I trust, twisted my arm into playing again. Even after that it took two more plays for me to warm up to it.

This is the sum total of my knowledge about Pax Porfiriana:

1. On your turn you can buy a card or pay to play a card out of your hand. There are 8 other things you can do, but I don't know what they are.

2. At the end of your turn you get a dollar for every cube on the board if the government is in anarchy.

3. There are several kinds of cards. One is enterprises, which if you have one you put a cube on it (see #2). One is troops. My dude could buy troops for half price, so it seemed like buying troops would be a good thing for my dude to do, however, I'm not really sure exactly how or why to deploy troops. There are black and yellow "Fuck You" cards. There are a bunch of other cards, but I don't know what they are or what they do.

4. If you you play a yellow "Fuck You" card on Josh because he played a black "Fuck You" card on you, he will get pissy.

5. Repoman gets unhappy when the government is in Anarchy, so it might be a good idea to keep the government in Anarchy, although I'm not sure how one does that.

6. Engineer Al won because he had points. I'm not really sure how he got them or exactly what they were. I had a point, but it was the wrong kind of point. I'm not sure how I got this point. I think it was because Josh played that black "Fuck You" card on me, Josh whined about there being no points on the board other than "Fuck You" points so the only way to get any points was to hope you got fucked.

More
13 Jun 2014 12:26 #180444 by Sagrilarus

ubarose wrote: You know what game I really hated the first time I played it? Arkham Horror. Hated it with a passion. Refused to play it again for an entire year until a friend, whose judgement of my taste in games I trust, twisted my arm into playing again. Even after that it took two more plays for me to warm up to it.

I had given up on Arkham Horror, even traded it away. But I got a game in this past week and very much enjoyed it. Through a quirk we all ended up playing female roles. I was the nun and got to roll fives and sixes all game.

I kept wanting to keep the Headline cards in play but we couldn't find the rule that said to do that. It wasn't until three days later that I remembered Headline cards stay in play in Fury of Dracula, not Arkham Horror.

S.

More
13 Jun 2014 13:49 #180456 by Michael Barnes
Anything that causes ill will towards you in Settlers costs you future games. It's not worth it. It's much better to be under the radar and to be a positive trading experience. It gets you tons of goodwill down the road.

I am still being blacklisted by a couple of my friends for some bad trades that happened back in the Clinton administration.

It's not Settlers, but the Hellfire Club has a very, very negative connotation applied to the term "Starcraft buddies" due to something that went down in 2008.

More
13 Jun 2014 13:57 #180459 by wadenels
Pax Porfiriana can be weird the first time you play it because it's hard to grasp everything happening or can happening. It's a tableau-building game that doesn't play like any other tableau-building games, and it has various forms of direct and indirect player interaction. Timing for the Topple Card win is critical, but it's hard to develop timing when you're still learning the game. It's a game where you have to keep tabs on and often block the other players, sometimes all of the other players at once, and that's a lot to deal with when you're starting out. I think it's best to learn how to play with two or three players because there's less to think about.

A great game though. Since you only play with a fraction of the cards each game can play out differently, which doesn't make it any easier to learn. There's a bit of information overload in the first game, but by the second or third game it should really start to click.

I made a player aid ( here ) that hopefully helps teach and learn the game. It's a lot to take in and isn't a very good player aid, but it does condense a lot of the important parts of the rule-book to three pages.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, OldHippy

More
13 Jun 2014 14:15 #180462 by Black Barney

Michael Barnes wrote:
I am still being blacklisted by a couple of my friends for some bad trades that happened back in the Clinton administration.

It's not Settlers, but the Hellfire Club has a very, very negative connotation applied to the term "Starcraft buddies" due to something that went down in 2008.

A buddy of mine got blacklisted from Diplomacy because he maintained an alliance with me until the very bitter end knowing full well it would cost him (and everyone else) the game, but he didn't want to go back on his word.

He didn't get invited to future Diplomacy games from that group (neither did I, maybe for winning but who knows), but I did end up hiring him years later for a job cuz I knew he was a stand-up guy that I could trust.

Dividends.

I still get raked over the coals from things I did more than 20 years ago (pooling a bunch of tips on the table together because I didn't have enough money, eating most of the swedish meatballs by buddy's mom made, etc). So annoying.

More
13 Jun 2014 15:29 - 13 Jun 2014 15:38 #180464 by Gary Sax

wadenels wrote: Pax Porfiriana can be weird the first time you play it because it's hard to grasp everything happening or can happening. It's a tableau-building game that doesn't play like any other tableau-building games, and it has various forms of direct and indirect player interaction. Timing for the Topple Card win is critical, but it's hard to develop timing when you're still learning the game. It's a game where you have to keep tabs on and often block the other players, sometimes all of the other players at once, and that's a lot to deal with when you're starting out. I think it's best to learn how to play with two or three players because there's less to think about.

A great game though. Since you only play with a fraction of the cards each game can play out differently, which doesn't make it any easier to learn. There's a bit of information overload in the first game, but by the second or third game it should really start to click.

I made a player aid ( here ) that hopefully helps teach and learn the game. It's a lot to take in and isn't a very good player aid, but it does condense a lot of the important parts of the rule-book to three pages.

I think it's hard to wrap your mind around where those points cards come from. Lots of them come as an upshot of "Fuck you!" cards, which is an interesting balancing mechanism which often has you destroying your own stuff for points.

You're absolutely right that it's WAY different than any tableau game. Super glad I scraped my copy up before the game went OOP.

Edit: The rulebook is so bad that looking at your playaid I found 2 rules I didn't know (assassinating Hacendados, sacking land mechanic when it has 0 cubes)
Last edit: 13 Jun 2014 15:38 by Gary Sax.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.955 seconds